Posts by Per

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Very quick one tonight. I eliminated the vocals late on they were just way too dark thematically for my liking and it was making me feel crappy. So the backing track itself is in truth an exercise in playing dynamics to try and get that real band feel where each member just has one line, they have to control the volume from how they play, how their line is arranged etc. It's immensely hard to play at low volume purely through pick technique, timing, speed and consistency need to be totally re-learned with a very light touch, even something as simple as playing chords with the right rake becomes so much harder to do. It's an excellent exercise I obviously need to do more of till it starts to sound good.

Thanks waraba I don’t really know any Tame Impala tracks, hopefully it’s a good thing, I still cringe every time I hear myself but the tracks sound so empty without some sort of vocal line. I was sort of aiming for an early prong rock vibe, so 60s 70s is about right although I wasn’t able to get the groove where I wanted it, still gotta work much harder on my timing and feel.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tonights noodle was done way too quickly and it shows it, just couldn't get the mix right in the time and the playing is atroscious. I wanted to experiment more with dynamics but didn't really do as I wanted here, mostly it was a case of trying to give myself headroom to go between loud and quiet just through technique alone, which isn't quite as easy with the Kemper as with a real amp. I think it's another area to really practice with, I'd like to push away from additive production a little now and then, get more of that "band" like sound where you really just engage an OD for a lead tone, use dynamics to shift volume rather than layering on more stuff.

Tonights horror themed noodle, I'm pretty pleased with the bass-line on this one. Took a few takes to get the groove locked in to where I wanted it, not perfect but as good as I can play it.

A bit of 90's shoe-gaze for you tonight

BTW I tried out a new thing which was subtly varying the tempo over the course of the track. I wanted to try and bring back a little bit of a more natural feel. Sadly reason doesn’t have a beat match otherwise I’d just have it follow my guitar parts, I guess I could use music memos and bring that into logic to do that but I just prefer working in Reason. In any case here I just used a tempo map and pushed it slightly where and there to bring it as close to where felt natural to me.

Well a half complete one. For some reason I couldn't come up with a vocal part for the earlier verses and choruses which leaves it feeling a bit over-slick and obviously missing a part.