Posts by DrTT

Dear all,
    Hoth wrote:

Quote from hoth

...It's crazy but it's true.

When you get caught by your Kem-per Amp Pro-fi-ler
    (I know it's crazy but it's true)
    When you get caught by your Kem-per Amp Pro-fi-ler
    The best that you can do (the best that you can do)
    The best that you can do is PLAY GUITAR

Sorry, couldn't resist 8)
    Best regards,
    DrTT

Dear all
    guitarnet70 wrote

Quote from guitarnet70

Talking about great reviews, the German guys here should have a read at the articles on Gitarre&Bass and Guitar.... 8o

and also in the Soundcheck magazine of course!
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear Pete,

you should definitely report it as a bug.
    In the Kemper there is a file called "MIDIAssignments.xml". In that file there are lines like
    <slot num="4">{DOCUMENTS}/KemperAmp/Rigs/2011-10-07 16-19-12 - Fischers Jazz Fux OD1.kipr</slot>
    referring to a rig file name containing a date. When you edit and replace (!) a rig, I assume that the file name gets updated with the modification date. So the reference in the MIDI assignments file suddenly points to nowhere.
    Just my interpretation, but this explains the behaviour.

Best regards
    DrTT

Dear R-A-P-H,
    I am using the same foot controller as you. Currently I have not yet tested the control changes, because I find the live switching a bit inconvenient. I'll keep you informed about my experiences.
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear all,
    not a very realistic request in my opinion. You now can get profiles for free and that iPad application would then be a full fledged modeller for any profile ever done.
    Kemper would beggar their own hardware business by that move. Why should you buy a KPA any longer?
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear guitarnet70,
    you wrote:

...inside of a .tar compressed file, if it has a CRC for integrity control, then you have a problem.

There is no CRC control, otherwise the manipulated backup would be rejected. You can also get rid of unwanted effect settings and amp or cabinet presets.
    By the way, I've mentioned the tar-trick in another thread and got flamed for it being 'insecure'. So far I did not have any problems with it and I do not expect any.
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear Radley,
    you wrote:

Quote from Radley

This sounds like a hardware problem - I really hope that the Kemper folks had enough on the ball to use a shorting input jack on the guitar input...

If you go to the diagnostic mode, there is an indicator whether something is plugged in into input or not. So they might not have a shorting jack, but they are definitely able to switch off the signal path.
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear Per,

you wrote:

Quote from Per

When pressing "Store" on a Stack, Amplifier or Cabinet, please make it so that when it comes up with the page to name the preset it fills in the field with the name that's already in the Rig/Stack data (rather than what it does now which seems to be to take the name of the first stack preset in the presets list).

No, it comes up with the last name you have used for that kind of element.

I find this quite convenient, because I name my amps and cabinets very systematically (similar to Armin). For amps I use my initials, three-letter manufacturer code, model name and gain level. Typically I have to update some letters only and this would be lost when I use the names from the tags. Those tags are very inconsistent (to say the least) and not helpful.

Best regards

DrTT

Dear Christoph,

you wrote:

Quote from ckemper

Every parameter is as fast as a regular pot. If I saw a problem with mix or feedback, I would see it for most of the parameters.

I really have no good answer for that. I agree that it is very picky to put some frequency or time on an exact numerical value because it normally does not matter at all. But I remember old measuring devices with geared potentiometers for very exact settings and as long as there is no PC editor...

Am I correct that the angle of your 'pots' is 270° and when turning them for x° it should translate into (x * (max-min)/270)+min. This is fine for gain, but it is hard for a delay time range of 10000ms.
    There could be some kind of gesture control: when a knob is quickly turned left and right this switches it to 'slow mode' for some time. But I am no usability expert.

Best regards

DrTT

Dear all,

I am not sure whether this is already implemented, but the knobs should display an 'adaptive value behaviour'. This means that upon a very slow rotation the values should change very slowly.
    Currently it is very hard to precisely input values (like e.g. delay times).
    This seems to be prior art, so it can be used freely:
    http://ip.com/IPCOM/000189145

Best regards
    DrTT

Dear all,
    this is quite a trivial trick, sorry for mentioning the obvious, but it's quite handy.

You can jam along your MP3s without any bulky mixer by using the LOOP STEREO effect in the chain and have it locked. I use the headphone out of my old iPod (you might use your cell phone) and connect it in stereo to the two return jacks at the back of the KPA (you need a cable with a stereo 3.5mm jack to two mono 6.3mm jacks).

[Blocked Image: http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4703/kemperloopstereo2.jpg]

The LOOP STEREO is put into the MOD slot and you can adjust the balance between guitar and external signal in the effect settings.

[Blocked Image: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/635/kemperloopstereo1.jpg]
    There are two caveats of course:

• the external signal goes through delay and reverb, and
    • you lose any effect in the MOD slot of your rig.

With a headphone this is a very compact and portable solution.
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear all,
    honestly the course of discussion makes me a bit sad.

First of all, Scott, welcome to the forum! I have read several of your posts at the Fractal Audio forum and I think you deserve a lot of respect for investing so much time in contributing to the guitar community with your posts ... although I do not always agree with your opinions ;)
    I as a rookie user would not like to have the penalty system in practice at the FA forum here. It somewhat smells like censorship because it is often hard to tell what utterance is inappropriate, insulting or whatever. If we do not want to have this here this implies of course a very respectful discussion according to the standard netiquette. We have to be aware that there may be cultural differences or vulnerabilities which might lead to such threads as the current.
    So finally: Scott, great to have you with us, I'm looking forward to your contributions here!

Best regards
    DrTT

Dear sheguitarplayer,
    you wrote:

Quote from sheguitarplayer

Setting the old Facebook list against the new one, it appears these are the new amps..

Some amps have already been in the factory rigs, but they did not yet occur in the list. Here is the mapping to the mangled amp names (the rigs are in parentheses).

65 Amps London: London Trem Drive (Keith, London Color Clean)
    Diezel Einstein: Petrol Albert (MS168-00)
    Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature: Angle RBS (MS176-00)
    Kitty Hawk Eagle Series 2002: KH ES 2002 (MS171-00)
    Lee Jackson XLS-1000: Mr. Jack Blues (Mr. Jack Blues)
    One Stone Ludwig: 1StoneLud1 (MS159-00)
    Soldano SLO100: Sold SLO100 (Breath)
    Tech21 Sansamp: Sense (SANSAMP disto 2)
    Traynor Custom Valve 40: (Trainer Clean)
    Valve Train 416: Tube Train Dirty (Tube Train Dirty)

I have no idea about the "Groove Tubes Soul-o 75" and the "Tube Thomsen".

Best regards
    DrTT

Dear schneidas,
    you wrote:

Quote from schneidas

On a sidenote, I hope you guys reported this directly to Kemper via their contact form

Yes, I have a mail request pending since Tuesday, but no reaction so far.
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear NF 310,
    you wrote:

Quote from NF310

unfortunately, I have to agree in this case. I had to purchase a new one because of a total crash - the KPA did not boot anymore. ...

In general one should try Armin's procedure from "KPA is toast (no more)" as a last resort before sending the device back.
    But I do not want to lose my amplifier and cabinet presets (I do not care about rigs). And when I restore a backup, some inconsistencies in the data might still be there...
    Best regards
    DrTT

Dear all,

I am still somewhat ambivalent about the KPA:
    On the one hand it is a fantastic device and exactly what I wanted to have all the years. The form factor is also okay for me.
    On the other hand there are crashes where the device only recovers after a long period of time (several minutes). This is completely unacceptable for a live situation. I am not too demanding here: I can bear with a system with occasional crashes (my band is just an amateur band ;) ). But any device for live use must be available after at most a minute of recovery.
    This is currently not the case. In my opinion Kemper should have installed some sort of watchdog timer which totally resets the system when it is not live anymore.
    Note that I was a bit naive about the function of the chickenhead switch because I thought that switching it off might reset the device. It cannot, of course, because is just a soft switch: it does not physically disconnect the computer from the current supply (otherwise there would be not shutdown process when turning the KPA off).
    So the recommendation here is: when the KPA has a complete crash with a black display remaining, remove the power cord for some minutes.
    Am I especially picky or do you have similar thoughts? I understand that this device is beta, but in one year's time after NAMM11 I would have expected more stability...
    Best regards
    DrTT

Hello guitarnet70,

you wrote:

Quote from guitarnet70

Have you check for the the "double blank charachter" on your profile names? That issue has not yet being solved by this FW...

I've checked my backup archive and there are no rigs with multiple blanks. I have delay presets with leading blanks (like "2011-03-26_18-17-39_-_TheEdgeDelay_.kipr") but those are original presets from Kemper.

Best regards
    DrTT