Posts by DonPetersen

He said in his OP - he's using the Studio EQ effect in either the X or Mod slot (post Stack).

hehe, I added this info after his comment ;)

The mix parameter is great - it technically isn't a mix, since it isn't blending the dry and altered signals, but basically using it as a kind of multiplier to reduce the intensity of the effect. Since EQ's rely on phase shifts, mixing the two signals would result in unwanted phasing. It really shines in situations like this, so that you can dial in exactly how much "mic distance" you want.

:thumbup:

heyho,

here a EQ setting that mimics what happens when you increase the distance between the mic and the speaker.
    it's an idealized version, of course, but I found it helpful on quite a few rigs.

Studio EQ
    post Stack

the main ingredient is the cut at around 4k:
    Mid2 Gain -6,4 dB
    Mid2 Freq 3974.8 Hz
    Mid2 Q 1.740

I also boost the low end:
    Mid1 Gain +6 dB
    Mid1 Freq 100.4 Hz
    Mid1 Q 1.440

start with mix at 0%, turn it up to 100% to hear what it does, then find your sweetspot, I often land at around 50%

https://soundcloud.com/kemperp…tting-moving-the-mic-away

Great work Don, I must try it! Thanks for posting this. :)

I have an Analogman Sun Face which I love (especially on tube bass amps), have you ever compared your Fuzz to the Sun Face? And if so how similar/different are they in tone?

Curious if I can replicate it's sound using your template!

I uploaded the rig 'D'Lux Dirty Sunny Cactus' on the Rig Exchange.

I cheated a little bit, since I eq'ed the tone post stack, but now it sounds like a recording of a Sun Face I have - with a Les Paul type guitar (Yamaha SG2000) at least.

let me know what you think :)

Great work Don, I must try it! Thanks for posting this. :)

I have an Analogman Sun Face which I love (especially on tube bass amps), have you ever compared your Fuzz to the Sun Face? And if so how similar/different are they in tone?

Curious if I can replicate it's sound using your template!

I recently found some great information on similar FFs, and I do think I have the proper transistors (the key ingredient) and can source the other parts.
    I'm eager to build one for myself on breadboard. I'll profile my amps with it once it's done and give it the same 'treatment' as I did with my Fuzz Face.

I'd say that my FF has a touch more gain and is generally warmer sounding, the Sun Face has an interesting lower mid to bass frequency balance and overall pleasant character.

we'll see. ;)

my perception is that either the KPA or the DXR10 makes the cabinet component of the tones sound a bit exaggerated, and that's an effective way to compensate for that (cab settings I mean).

hundreds of people make profiles using all kinds of speakers, mics and techniques. some cabs sound smoother, some have strong peaks and valleys going on - I sometimes add Character, most of the time I don't touch it.
    If you generally use it the way you described, it's either your monitors (although I'm not sure how this could be either) or simply your personal preference.
    Could it be you played a lot of modelers (or speaker sims) instead of real guitar cabs? Maybe you just got used to the sound of these other speaker sims.

When I encounter a profile that could benefit from more bite I sometimes prefer to use a Treble Booster in front (clearing up the low end before distortion) instead of boosting the highs/cutting the lows post distortion with EQ.

The way I set the Treble Booster right away is:
    Tone: -5
    Ducking: 0
    Volume: 0

this is basically the TB in it's neutral setting.

now I slowly increase the Tone setting until I find my sweet spot.

tip: strumm a few open strings repeatedly while turning the Tone knob with your other hand and don't even look at the display - just listen.
    do the same for volume, but this time I'd recommend starting from 0 and turn it both ways till it sounds good.

the eyes can sometimes confuse the ears.

my go to Fuzz Face is a very nice replica of the Dallas Arbiter iss1 featuring a Philips, a Vishay and a Tropical fish cap and two NTK275 transistors I handpicked by going through A LOT of transistors.

today I recreated it's sound with the Fuzz Dist and an EQ:
    (which was a whole lot easier than sourcing and selecting the parts, and soldering) ;)

Fuzz DS
    Drive 4.1
    Volume +1.3

into

Studio EQ
    Low Gain -18db
    Low Frq 30Hz

High Gain -12db
    High Frq 78.3Hz (sic)

Mid1 Gain +6.1dB
    Mid1 Freq 62.3Hz
    Mid1 Q 1.920

Mid2 Gain -4.0dB
    Mid2 Freq 2953.5Hz
    Mid2 Q 0.35

enjoy!

please post something like this in the Commercial section in the future.
    even though the profiles are free, they are teasers for the commercial ones.

the other sellers of profiles also follow these guidelines.

thanks! :)

here're your options:

transpose the guitar down an octave or transpose the bass down 5 halfsteps

you can use the 'Transpose' pitch effect or the 'Harmonic Pitch'
    whatever you choose, use them before the Stack, so the profile can react to the incoming lower pitches.

while Transpose is straightforward, 'Harmonic Pitch' has the extra parameter 'Formant Shift', which is especially useful if you are transposing your guitar down an octave,
    since you can dial in a tone that's more like a bass and not a guitar shifted down an octave. (-0.6 works well)