Posts by mikeb

In case anyone cares at all I had this type of aliasing which I thought was SPDIF problems with my rig.. turns out it was actually the Kemper has some corrupted internal memory settings. After a memory wipe (formatting the flash memory) and reinstalling the factory rigs and my personal favorite rigs, my kemper sounds fantastic and more importantly I can't detect the aliasing anymore on any notes.. I don't understand how this can be but it most certainly is. Maybe it points someone in the right direction. :)

After doing a bit of research this is the procedure that seems to work to cure all aliasing, output, gain, noise, pop, clicks and other misc odd things. I believe the reason for this is extremely simple although CK will most assuredly need to verify. The problem is simply corrupted system settings and seems to occur out of the box. Simply upgrading firmware does not fix the corruption nor does deleting rigs.

The symptoms my Kemper was exhibiting was such:

1. Out of the box, first thing I noticed was poping/clicking every so often, I was using XLRs at the time. (I believe this indicates you have corruption)
    1. SPDIF levels extremely loud, clipping on every preset into my audio interface, my SPDIF was set to slave to the Kemper and 44.1khz.
    2. Sound was slightly odd sounding, never could put my finger on why
    3. XLR outputs outputted a very gainy signal which was NOT clipping my interface, again, subtle but odd and hard to deal with in terms of gain levels on my interface, seemed i could never set the Kemper's volume levels correctly for certain profiles
    4. Noise levels got extremely high and I thought my guitar was broken. Eventually I realized I could literally tap the tip of my gutiar cable on a table and hear it easily through my speakers.
    5. odd high note aliasing tones which people are posting about

I did a system reset, midi reset and finally gave up, was ready to send the unit back. In desperation I performed the Flash Memory wipe as such:

1. Degrade firmware to 1.04,
    I believe latest 1.08 does not allow getting into the system maintenance menu

Erase the internal flash memory

Note: ALL the rigs will be erased during this procedure!! ( credit to billruppert)

• Switch the main knob to off
    • Hold the left/top soft-key above the LCD
    • while still holding this key - switch KPA to tuner
    • Maintenance Module will be started
    • In the 'Maintenance' menu goto 'Memory'
    • Use Memory FormatFlash and InitFlash
    • Check if the KPA works (booting, tuner)
    • Check all the KPA settings

I will add, go into the SYSTEM block and hit Factory Rigs right most soft button. This restores all factory defaults.

After this your Kemper will be fresh, like new, and more importantly have cleaned out FLASH memory and should work flawlessly! :thumbup: :love:
    All my problems have been solved meaning no noise, no popping, gain controls are perfect, output levels are perfect, high note aliasing noise gone. Maybe this will help someone else reslove their Kemper issues.

I should say, this did allow me to fix my problems. What I did was revert to 1.04 and the access the System Maintenance menu (power up with left most soft button held). Then I formatted the FLASH memory and rebooted. After this the Kemper had no presets for anything at all. I simply went into the SYSTEM menu and had it redo the System Presets, after another reboot I cannot find any problems with anything. Noise levels are what they should be (very quiet).

It seems like somehow my input got stuck on max gain or something like an internal gain was set to max. Now it is fine. I did lose all my presets and basically everything I setup since I got the unit but I am afraid to restore from backup because it could re-introduce my noise problems). No big deal. It boots REALLY fast now. :D

my theory is an internal gain control is set to max and nothing resets it except formatting the flash memory on the Kemper and redoing the presets from factory defaut

I did this, although I wasn't picking up radio stations, I was getting loads of noise and after the total reset everything sounds great again.

I have this same issue on my Kemper now too. I did not have it a the beginning and now I have no idea when it started. Noise noise noise.

[edit]

I tried all the normal resets and nothing worked, I even redid the goddamn electronics in my guitar just in case.. NOPE. Then I degraded the firmware to 1.04 and booted into maintenance mode and formatted the flash memory. Immediately I rebooted, it booted VERY fast this time and then I got to put in my normal setup info. After this I went to the System block and restored system rigs.

I have been playing now for 3 hours non stop, using the factory default rigs. All of them are basically awesome. The noise gate works great in 1.04. (1.08 is useless for me). AND my SPDIF master volume works so my rig doesn't clip on some presets.

SO all my problems are solved, thanks to this forum. Honestly support did not help me with these issues.

I too have noticed this lately. Its making me crazy! Almost all my high gain profiles have incredible amounts of noise that I don't remember being there before.. I really need to downgrade 1.08, it isn't working out for me.

[edit] Fixed me up, reverted to 1.04, did a complete flash format, reinstalled all factory presets. Back to square one (working fine).

Also, I cannot use the Noise Gate on 1.08 so I am sticking with 1.04 which is the most functional firmware for me.

Yeah I've been playing the STP profile since you posted it. BEST EVER. I tossed some chorus before the amp and tweaked here and there and my gosh, this profile rips it up!

The Anthrax profile wins totally too, way more thick then I thought it would be.

Thank you so much man!

PS. What guitar/pickups do you use? Im curious because your clip sounds closer to STPs tone than my guitar. :P

+1 After David Gilmour's tone, STP's Core tone is one I have been chasing for a long time. The closest I ever got was someone made me a custom module for the Randall MTS platform that was awesome. Would love to have this crisp on the top but full on the bottom tone. That's why I would love to see amp blending in the KPA.

+1000!

This is the best thing ever!

Thank you so much mister tylerhb!. I am a metal fan and these are some GREAT tones to play with.

Could you possibly do Scott Ians JCM800 tone from Among the Living? That would make my day! :thumbup:

as for request tones...

Scott Ian - Among the Living (Marshall JCM 800 + TC Electronic Booster/Line Driver)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Core (Demeter Preamp + VoxAC30 + VHT power amps)
    Napalm Death - Fear, Emptiness, Despair (Triple Recto + Metal Zone)

In particular STP's Core tone is to DIE for, if you can get anywhere close I would be totally amazed!

This is mind-blowing-cool! You absolutely have to do a few more tones.

PLEASE do Scott Ians Among the Living tone, say Skeletons in the Closet or Among the Living or I am the Law.

Simply amazing, thank you SO much!