Posts by mikeb

Hello!

I have been playing the Morgan AC20 profile (major props to the uploader) and tweaking it for weeks. This profile is the result. I should say I use this with a humbucker based guitar so that might affect the results.. but the idea with this profile is take a humbucker and roll the volume down a tad to get a nice sparkley clean, then back up for dirt.

The rolled down volume tone is to die for in my opinion.. anyways maybe someone else will dig it. :thumbup:

[edit]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29745…rgan%20AC20%20Refined.zip

My issue is I had 680ish profiles on my Kemper. I love trying new stuff but I haven't been organizing/cleaning my profiles and now I am in a state of too-many-profiles. I created a backup file and renamed it to .TAR and unzipped it with 7ZIP to a folder on my computer. That is easy. I assume I can do something like delete the rigs I don't want from the profile directory and then recreate a .TAR and restore the backup file.. but this makes me uneasy because I am screwing around with the backup file. I assume 7zip can create a good TAR backup file but I don't want to risk a bricked Kemper.

Is there a better way than hitting 'delete' when browsing the profiles?

Hey!

Today I have played a lot with the KPA, and sadly discovered what seems like a huge shortcoming of the unit. Try to select a high-gain profile. Play a very high note and let it ring. While it is ringing do some chugga-chugga muted low notes. It seems to me the high note completely chokes the low notes. The low notes only start to bloom after the high note dies off. This is not a subtle thing, it is very noticeable on my machine. Christoph?

That is amp dependent, in other words real amps do this too. The Kemper simply reacts the same. I suggest trying a better high gain amp. Maybe a Fortin, Framus Cobra.. you get the point. :thumbup:

well, now my issue has become less obvious, my subwoofer and crossover to my active monitor speakers died 2 days ago. It is possible that It was going bad all along..

However, that does not matter, I can still make a few clips which I will do.

I could have sworn that That preamp was one of the few that Kemper said did not profile correctly. I can report my Black13 preamp pedal does not profile correctly too, sounds like the input signal was overloading.. or maybe not, same kind of rounded off tone you speak of.

Oh well, my preamp pedal is not that good so no problem for me.

You might want to try putting a gain reducer /fader either before or after the preamp, might be overloading problem.

Have you got you sound card set up to clock from the Kemper? So it should be in slave mode. Sounds like maybe you haven't. Just having the same sample rate is not much use if the clocks aren't synced.

Yes absolutely, sound card is set to 44.1khz, slave mode, when I boot the Kemper I get a lock light turned on for SPDIF sync.
    I AM using hardware monitoring on the soundcard itself... I have plugged other devices into my soundcard before via SPDIF and never noticed problems with levels at all. I think it has to be something is incompatible. In fact I have never experienced clipping when doing my every day playing/mixing. Not like this at all!

This is not a case of the Monitor speakers being that bad or something, I can A/B with the XLR/SPDIF on my Kemper and the SPDIF does not sound as good. Has a funny high end tinge thing going on, almost as if the sample rate isn't matched (it is). Every profile clips my SPDIF input without touching any levels, straight in. This has to be an incompatibility.

I can record what I am talking about but its not nice to hear, just massive overloading of the input.

I think I can record the high end digital noise thing I hear.. but I am not sure. Again, all this just vanishes when I use the XLR into the same sound cards balanced inputs.
    :cursing:

in all seriousness, i played with the spdif into my EMU 1212M soujnd card for nearly a month.. came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the Kemper interfaceing with my spdif. i cannot fix the tone..and get clipping too easily at lower volume levels.

i just plugged back into the Kempers XLR outs and now my tone is rich and powerful again using the SAME soundcards TRS inputs. Conclusion for me , SPDIF is not compatible. :)

This is a bit confusing.
    Where do the profiles clip? In the KPA or on your DAW?
    The Master Volume has no effect on the level LED.

Ok I was incorrect about the Clipping Light, my bad.

The clipping is in my DAW which is a EMU 1212M based computer setup. I am running the SPDIF out from the Kemper into the SPDIF in on my soundcard, set to slave. The clipping generally occurs with palm mutes, when the bass tones are the strongest. I have never experienced SPDIF clipping before. Not sure why the Kemper is so loud in this respect.

The corruption though may not be in the uploaded profile but when the profile is downloaded, copied to the USB stick, imported by the KPA, or at some point after it's already on the KPA. By the way, copying to and from a USB stick is a notoriously unreliable process because of the delayed read/write caches that operating systems use. Another reason why direct USB functionality for the KPA would be great.

Windows does not use delayed write for USB (removable) memory.

I also have to report that profiling a modeling stomp box yielded input being overloaded when profiling, no amount of fussing got the level from the direct output send low enough.

Conclusion: direct output send out is too hot as well, I suppose if i had a mixing board I could compensate, but as is, the direct out does NOT send the same level as what goes into the INPUT.

[edit] playing during profiling is what I mean, when I try the direct out in browser mode, the levels are the same.

I'm reposting this from the problems forum in case it helps someone else.

Using SPDIF out on the Kemper into my DAW sound card I got clipping with most profiles without changing anything, much much too loud. Here is what I found:

Inserting a Gain control on the SPDIF input (in my soundcard control panel software)allowed me to remove all clipping with all profiles. I had to drop the Gain by -11db(depending on profile). After this the Kemper sounds perfect. Exactly like the XLR outs. I didn't even know you COULD have a gain control on a SPDIF.. I probably don't understand SPDIF. I figured that a device cant send a SPDIF signal passed +0db but in this case I must be wrong about what is happening.

Also, it helps to max the Master Volume even if you use the SPDIF (and the Master has no effect) because you can see if the output levels are clipping via the Clipping light.

PS thank you C.K., your advice about changing gain controls along with statements about dropping overall volume levels by 6db got me on the right track.

I may have found my issue, maybe this will help others.

Using SPDIF out on the Kemper into my DAW sound card I got clipping with most profiles without changing anything, much much too loud. Here is what I found:

Inserting a Gain control on the SPDIF input allowed me to remove all clipping with all profiles. I had to drop the Gain by -10-15DB(depending on profile). After this the Kemper sounds perfect. Exactly like the XLR outs.

I probably don't understand SPDIF. I figured that a device cant send a SPDIF signal passed +0db but in this case I must be wrong about what is happening.

The static popping that may happen when switching profiles was cured by doing a SYSTEM reset, so that much seems fine now. Happy Kamper now. :P
    Also, it helps to max the Master Volume even if you use the SPDIF (and the Master has no effect) because you can see if the output levels are clipping via the Clipping light.

PS thank you C.K., your advice about changing gain controls along with statements about dropping overall volume levels by 6db got me on the right track.