Posts by 1fastdog

I'm there with you "doc" ;) . It's exciting that the options keep coming and I'm very interested to hear clips. I'm not in love with every cab capture I have heard with the KPA, but that's a taste thing. The ones I do like are superb and I can't imagine much I find lacking in my favorite profiles.

Hopefully someclips will start being shared and I might get more fired up. < I do like convolution reverbs as opposed to algorhythmic types, so IR's are not something I have an issue with.> Just wondering if it'll beat the KPA profiling method for hitting the sound desired. I dig IR's for reverbs... just not convinced that it's going to get us further than where the KPA is right now. I know IR's can help modelers, but I think modelers need the help. As for the KPA benefit? Not so sure. I'll be listening.
    :thumbup:

Hopefully when situations coincide and the "stars align". At that point I will post a lst of some of what I can access prior to any profiling sessions.

Andy: I've just spent over 1 hour with your Reinhardt BP- (Reinhardt Storm 33). With the new Green Scream for solo and the Spring reverb preset is pure tone heaven! What a dream...it gave me goose bump..seriously. Thank you so much! :love: :D

I agree that the Reinhardt Storm is a very good amp in real life, and Andy has captured it superbly. TAF is always worth a look when adding another rig to one's arsenal.
    8)

I experience an annoying lag when switching between rigs with my Tech21 MIDI Moose controller. There are threads on this topic but it's full of people with the Behringer FCB and users with thousands of profiles.. I have less than 150 now and nothing has changed (I had about 400 before). I also use the latest OS, and set both the controller and the Kemper to MIDI Channel 1 instead of Omni, nothing changed. ;(

We have a tour upcoming in March and I really want to use the Kemper but the delay/lag is too much. I tried predicting how long the lag is between changes and hitting the button earlier but that really does not work at all.

So, how can I fix this - or is the MIDI section due for an update which fixes this issue, Mr.Kemper?

I use the Midi Moose and have no lag issues with program switching..

The Kemper is the only virtual solution I believe is capable of covering the amplifiers I really love playing through. I appreciate that it was made available and that the folks who work on it seem to give a damn about a customer like myself.

I listened to clips and followed threads in considering buying the KPA. What is of use for my playing situations would not be found on the "factory" profiles... but I did hear what made me confident to pull the trigger.

The appeal I found in the KPA was that there was no preconcieved notions about modeling what real amps do... or should do. I have repeatedly heard that this or that company company has studied this circuit and ...BLAH BLAH BLAH. Everytime I'd try out the "accurate" and painstakingly researched algorhythms chosen to model tube/xformers/ etc.??? I was left thinking ... BULLSHIT... close is not a "cigar".

The method CK chose is exactly what makes sense in the abstract and delivers the goods in reality, to me. This may not be the same for others, but it's the only way some company has hope of getting MY MONEY. If a product doesn't deliver the goods? I could care less what it costs. Some amps are a hell of a lot more than the cost of a KPA, or an AXEII. I have heard low cost stuff deliver what works for some players... unfortunately, it hasn't been so for my ears. I like the "set amp to taste, place mic/mics, press profile, refine... repeat as necessary"... Capture an amp as it pleases and get on with making music.

The KPA has saved me a very large amount of money. Our community is, by and large, a solid group of folks... IMO. I'll offer that "my opinion" has a hell of a lot more sway in what "I" play and what "I" will pay for.

As for Fractal? If people buy it and like it and make good music with, should be no real surprise. < I have been playing since 1964 and have seen that gear that doesn't work for me can work for others. > Shopping to please me is what has actually worked the best in my experience.

The head guy @ Fractal might benefit by opting to refrain from pontifications on the internet, other than his own site. < even then it's not that wise if you don't think out your musings >.

Leave the PR to folks who understand corporate identity and are adept at human nature, human frality, and understand that there's no future in pissing off potential $$$.... :huh:

In a scenario where it's best aliasing performance or more features?

I bought the KPA for the best tonal representation of amps, regardless of gain. I'll go with the best amp representations possible and forego the special feature doodads... Had I been willing to accept less than the best tone in trade for additional feature? I'd have gone with the AXE 2. If it's as simple a thing as can be done in just 3 seconds??? Please do so...

Maybe a FW update that is for folks who could care less about "feature headroom" ? An alternate upgrade path, as it were? A choice on the part of the owner... If catering to "purists" is a 3 second affair??... with all due respect... do both. I would suspect you have a very focused understanding of what an anti- aliasing patch would address and who might want it. Also you know who has no need in the world for it, in actuality.

Consider that some folks went with, and will continue to choose, the KPA primarily for the best possible amp tones and not any additional FX, signal chain options, etc., etc. I am also quite aware that some of the aliasing examples are able to be gotten out of certain amps in the analog world...

I'm really glad that you like my profile. As I said, this is my first profiling and hope to be capable of doing better next time.

Hi Brattcave.. I really admire Guthrie Govan, he's on a higher level. Unfortunately suhr guitar doesn't belong to me, I borrowed from a friend of mine, and its sound is amazing.

I´m planning to do another profiling session with other interesting amps in a short time. I'll let you know ..........

Nice clip and nice profile. Any chance of you sharing the Dream Theater tone match profile? I'd certainly like to give that one a go as well!

OK, so this isn't a sexy subject, but one that I'm finding increasingly important, and also that I don't have much experience or knowledge about. After getting my backup KPA, connecting everything, then A/B-ing the two (both connected to a Mackie mixer, then to twin RCF ART310A's), I found that the new unit had much lower output levels. After checking every possible configuration value, and finding that they were identical, I swapped the output cables going to the Mackie. Voila, that was it. Huge difference. So now I'm looking at how many cables are involved in my setup, and wondering just what other impacts are being introduced? After a small amount of online research, I'm amazed at the price of "good" cables and wondering where the sweet spot is. What do you guys use for each of the connection points? For example:

Guitar into KPA
    KPA to mixer
    Mixer to RCF ART310A
    Mic to mixer

Same type cable for all of these, or are there subtle differences for best results? And how do you avoid spending a fortune? ?(

Guitar into KPA- Good-high quality cable, suppleness is important, low resistance is really only critical over 15 feet. I like the Somer "Grindy Cop Beast" or Vovox, but that's a bit overkill. As we know each other and live relatively close, I can bring some different 1/4 to 1/4 cables over and you see if any of them sound worthwhile.
    KPA to mixer- Shielding and freedom from handling noise matter much more than cork sniffer qualities such as super low resistance.. after a buffer or if it's low impedance? It really doesn't matter, but noise from handling or being stepped on will be something to avoid. Coil-up resistance is a plus.. < IOW , relaxed cable with no "memory" from being coiled for transport. >
    Mixer to RCF ART310A- Same as above
    Mic to mixer- Same as above

I'm in a rush, I'll reply later on...lots to add.

Meanwhile, here's a bundle of cabinets including all the Tills cabs.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111…inets%20August%202012.zip

You know the drill.
    Format a USB stick in your Kemper.
    Create a "Cabinets" folder in the "Shared" folder, copy and paste all these files into the Cabinets folder...Import into Kemper..

Is the s-Mehl cab in this collection? I'm interested in it but deleted the S-Mehl rig...
    :S

i actually came across a youtube clip of a trainwreck liverpool supposedly called daisy here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…o&feature=player_embedded
    notice at the end there is a pic of the tubes, and there is a large octal tube in the pre amp, apparantely a few were specially voiced. does that look familiar andy? :)

The owner of the Daisy Liverpool and the Express had Ken build both with tube rectifiers... AFAIK they are still in possession of the original owner and still in the USA. ;)

I think he made 100 of these TW amps.. if my memory serves me right.
    He also did a lot of Fender mods..that even fender were unable to re-produce.that were simply awsome.

Anyway unless he had 100 cats I doubt it too :) maybe his Ex's :) the dirty old man!

Anyway the one I did was a full TW, with kens sig and daisy istanbul in Kens classic scribble! - cant tell you what the instanbul relation is...
    I did take pictures, but as stated previously, the owner expressed regret that i cannot publish them at all.- and I have to honour that. i was just very appreciative enough he even let me near it!.

This is a black Liverpool named Daisy, I believe the woodtone is "Francine".. an
    an Express. It's possible that there is an Express named Daisy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…6XlQ&index=4&feature=plcp The Liverpool would be obvious with 4 EL84's... 2 tubes would be an Express or Rocket...

A good friend who was friends with Ken told me there's a book Ken kept with all of the amps documented. At a point, Ken offered a triple your money back guarantee which no one took him up on. I loved my Express, I can tell you that.

I haven't loaded the profile yet, but today looks good for being able to do so. I think a Kemper would be the likely way to capture anf of Ken's amps. He just had a knack for voicing and dressing the wires that made the little jewels he built sound as they do. You can't get to them with a modeling algorhythm. :thumbup:

they are all separate now, btw.. just the site is undergoing a few changes so it may look odd for a few days. but still working just fine :)

the TW was called Daisy, (itanbull)

Thanks! Should be able to make some purchases. Tone report to follow!

When will all of the amps, such as the TW, be available separately? I'm good with springing for some, but all aren't in my wheelhouse. :) Very interested in the Streetrod, Friedman, and the Express. BTW, what name did Ken give the Express? <They were always "girls">

THX!