Posts by imall41

The key to all these questions is a document that shows the NRPN mapping. We need Timo to understand we are interested in having this so he will work on getting it.

bd

I am just a noob at midi, but if we get the NRPN info from Timo, would I be able to control all available effect parameters, with a KM Soft Step foot controller, and the
    MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus?
    The Soft Step looks like a great controller, seeing as it is software programmable, plus you can use any of the foot pads as pedals, and it's small, and light.
    But, it won't be worth it, if I don't have midi access to all parameters.

Hello,

Is it possible to have a revers delay?

Thx

I can't believe I forgot about this one :pinch: I use reverse delay a lot. It's one of my all time favorite effects, "a la" Bill Frisell.
    I have outboard effects to do this, but in the KPA would be great, if possible.
    Pretty Please, CK :whistling:

Wow, that was sweet!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to do that.
    This box just amazes me every day!

Can you share what profile (rig), you were using?
    Were the guitar track(s) all from the KPA, or were you using any external effects?

Plus, Welcome :thumbup:

Nice detective work.
    You will now be known as audioColumbo, aka audioholic. ;)

So, I am a little confused here. I thought this thread (of which, I have read every post), was about "Profiling adds quite some hiss on high gain amps".
    But it was on this rig, not a profile, that you found a stomp engaged, at full volume?
    Now, I know you can profile an amp with a stomp box in front of it, but you can't raise, or lower the volume of the stomp after you save the profile, Yes?
    So, does this mean that a stomp was added to the rig after the profile was made, and then saved?
    This does not add up to profiling adding hiss.
    Any OD at full volume is going to add hiss, in the analog, or digital world.
    Are there profile samples with this hiss, or just this one rig?
    Like I said, I am confused here. ?(

Talking abut the holes accuracy, is it possible/easy to remove the KPA's knobs, install the skin and put them back? This would allow for a much higher accuracy :/

I thought the same thing at first, but, 7 of the dials, on the bottom half of the KPA, need to have the holes much larger than the dials, so the lights can be seen.

The remaining dials have a straight profile, so the skin can pass over them without the need for removal.

Those holes appear to be cut larger anyway, probably so you can see the increments marked on the face of the KPA.

Just need some small cookie cutters :)

CH is making a skin for me right now :thumbup:

I think everyone will be shocked at how long a solid state device can last....we really don't know. I sell and service industrial electronics and some of my devices have been running 30+ years in harsh conditions. Capacitors are really the only items that age...especially if undersized. Caps and rotary encoders are simple to source and replace. DSP chips and opamps typically don't wear out like tubes, caps, transformers, and hand wired terminations....time will tell.

I'm glad the KPA is made in Germany. They have a good reputation for quality control.

bd

I agree.
    I still have a high end, German made stereo, I bought in 1971, and it still works great.
    As a matter of fact, it's 190w, and I was thinking of giving it a try as a power amp for the KPA :)

Not to mention, my Mutron Bi-Phase (40+ yrs. old), which I recently sold, in perfect working condition, pots and all.

the reasoning behind a foot controller without an expression pedal is:

- many players have already found their favourite expression pedal
    - guitarists are very picky about how a pedal should work and feel (see above)
    - some players use their right foot, some their left

the last one isn't really a matter of choice. try using the 'wrong' foot with a wah or similar. not only will will your performance be most likely all over the place, you might also fall over. ;)

I agree, no foot pedal.
    I have 6, and would like the controller to be compact.
    I don't want another FC-300 tank!

I don't think is a question of fairness, Hadley is a pro and he's big enough to decide what he wants to use on Tour. Even Larry Carlton goes on Tour with his Bludotone and the Dumble stays in studio. There are a lot of things to be taken in consideration when making a Tournee, not last that the artistic director and the producer are also part of those decisions. They are just tools, I see nothing negative for us or for the Kemper if Hadley decides to go on Tour with the Axe. Andy Innes has decided for the Kemper...so what? Does it make it better sounding? Or Hadley worse? IMHO, not....

+1
    This is why I like it here.
    Logic, reason, and objectiveness, dominate the conversations.

If your friend wasn't an Axe user, his argument would carry a little more weight, but he is using a unit (the Axe), that exists for many of the same reasons as the KPA.( a wee bit hypocritical to me).
    At least if you buy a KPA, instead of the Axe, you will still have about $700 left over to buy an amp(-:
    So Kemper is really helping to keep amp builders in business.
    Plus we need amps to profile, and the Axe doesn't.