Posts by JHERCULEES1

I disagree I dont think his atitude is juvenillie , in todays world we tend to live in throw away society , but when you pay 2, 000 for something its ok to get frustrated when problems arise . The kemper is a great product But I would be frustrated too and have with other gear I could mention .

This is a tough one. Again as already stated numerous times, the SM57 is the industry standard, and for a very good reason. I am very much in the boat/of the opinion that, if you can't get the sound right with one 57, YOU are doing it wrong. Any pro engineer will probably tell you the countless hours they have spent trying to capture an amp in just the right away, micing an amp for hours: There really is no substitute for this. Also, alot of engineers will tell you that if it doesn't sound right, MOVE THE MIC! I also believe most people don't mic an amp properly when using 2 or more mics: Sure it can be done, but you REALLY gotta know what you are doing to do it right I think. If a guy puts up a profile and said he used 4 mics, there is a good chance that A: I will hate it, and B: It will sound completely wrong. You have to think about what your approach is with the Kemper. Some of the more popular commercial profile guys have stated that they do not like the sound of a micd guitar amp, and don't really strive to capture that sound....I will completely stay away from his profiles after hearing this because I am VERY interested in capturing the sound of a recorded amp to throw in a mix, NOT the "room" sound. What the hell good does the "room" sound do for anyone in any situation anyway other than your moms basement? Another topic for a different time, but I digress...

Yes there are many more expensive mics that offer different sounds, but the midrange and push of the sm57 in a mix is hard to beat, for good reason :) While I definitely don't think you should go with the adage "well this guy said its good, so it must be" almost 99 percent of the time, but this is one of the those times, that it really is true, as proven on thousands upon thousands of records/songs. Furthermore, you are also right: Just because someone micd an amp with a 57, does NOT mean it's going to be good by ANY means either as well. Also on that point, you will start to learn what cabs you like and definitely don't like.

Actually I hate to disagree here, but reading articles about Michael Wagener (huge Guitar rock albums producer, skid row, dokken , stryper, mot crue)
    He doesnt seem to use the 57 hardly at all , prefers to mix r-121 mic with a condenser mic , and he owns and has endorsed the kemper profilier !

I agree that what works is what works , but it is ok to stray from the shure 57 and use other mics, and it does sound great when done right , , when I listen to stryper guitar tone , im blown away and there isnt much shure 57 in there.

Just ok to open to other possibilities besisded the shure sm 57

heres a video from Michael wagener on how he uses the kemper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kBaZFPzHs

wont make you sound like them , but will make you sound like your playing through thier gear and miked professionally by a world class producer like Michael Wagener. I for one Am all for it , I know for sure I cant make the guitar tone sound like Michael Wagener does nomatter how many hours I spend playing with mics thier is a certain skill and something to be said for having the ear for it,.

I hope he does release some profiles I will buy them !!

Actually it might have been guitar hero tracks , heres a link to a pack that has sweet child of mine

and heres a link to gh welcome to the jungle

http://multitrackdownloads.blo…r-hero-3-multitracks.html

and you can listen live to the isolated guitar on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RS3oL53om4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWiFQungnX0

ya know I get asked this a lot, and quite frankly Im scared too.. - Ive done a lot of "record matching tones" for many years for artists IN house.. but never done it on a global scale, simply because if your not next to me its a case of sit and tweek until happy...but send it out there.. then all your gear will sound totally different to mine...

however Im not a defeatist.. and I do plan on doing a special pack sometime.. but it wont be commercial, it will be for the fun of it for free.. as as I said above.. I'd rather not get shouted at if things go wrong when you get hold of "my" version of say.. slash's Appetite tone :)

I apologize If i sounded like I was complaining etc,

I just get frustrated Like many of us trying to get a great guitar tone that we have heard on a record and its been the same for years like all the promises made by line 6 etc , then you plug it in and say oh wait it doesnt sound like the record or the miked up amp , then jump through hoops trying to make it sound like that .

Really I have bought a bunch of your stuff and it sounds good though so this is no slam on your product I was just stating my experience with the afd100 ones in particular.

of course. the source is right.. however the recording chain still caters for a lot of the tone you hear on the album.. - then of course you also need to take into consideration the recording chain/mixdown...running the same signal through a Neve desk wont sound the same as running it through a SSL desk.. its far different having a empty bedroom with a single mic and expect to just capture the same sound?

When we record guitars in studio, we go to hugh lengths to get things right.. but at the end of the day, we didn't actually do "much" to the signal.. but its what its all running through, and onto and then from that matters.

I have bought and still use some of your profiles and they are very good , I am just saying the afd100 ones in my opinion were far from slash tone I tried a ton of eq , but still couldnt nail it some of your others the plexi and soldano sound great to me . Would you ever consider offerering say profiles using the same gear and eq matched to a particular tone of a song? I would buy i think many would .

thanks

for guys thinking some magic process is done after the fact to the miked sound or the profile , there isnt , less is more according to great producers like m wagener , " you have to get it right at the source"

you cant fix it with eq , only subtle adjustments should be made and wont get you that AFD album tone

not saying that tweaking the eq and all that is bad but ..

actually 99 percent of guitar is in the miking ,I think over eqing and tons of compression on an already compressed guitar sound via distortion destroys the tone and doesnt make it closer to what you want , its go tto be right at the source to begin , no amount of post eq can fix it .

check micahel wageners comments on using the kemper on his video , he mentions he doesnt use any compression on distorted guitars , and prefers to get it right with miking as opposed to eq after the fact ,

Hercules, your comparing an album created guitar tone to that of a normal profiled amp profile? the one on the Rig exchange might be bang on, but you have to make the rest yourself.. they recorded through Comps/EQ's good Pre's desks etc...

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kBaZFPzHs

Same here. Never liked that one.

geraldo

For a slash tone I use the AFD100 profiles on the rig exchange paired with the greenback cab from the Siggi Mehl amp (or any other Greenback cab). I know Slash uses V30s on stage but cabs with those speakers just don't work for me. I also read somewhere that Slash uses old cabs with 25 Watt Greenbacks in the studio as well - particularly on sessions in their haydays.

actually I tried the afd100 profiles and they didnt do slash well for me , I compared them to isolated slash guitar tracks from rock band .
    maybe they arent miked properly or whatever, but they seem quite a bit harsher and not thick enough for slashs tone

sad to say but i have to agree about this ,
    again I think the kemper is a great product but am upset about the handling of this led issue , my unit is only just a year old and led are going out every other day .On a product that cost this much , it is kind of scary

Another difference bieng that for car repairs there are allways local dealers , so its not a matter of shipping the unit overseas , when a local repair shop could do it , if kemper could authorize local shops to repair the led issue since it is a known issue .

i had 2 led s go out on my volume knob a few weeks ago also sad to see the kempers reputation will be screwed up by this so many leds going out on units and its a great product but i am kinnda dissapointed like the rest of you guys i dont wanna keep sending it back everytime an led goes out maybe kemper could find local repair shops in the states that would do the work i would gladly pay 100 or so for them tov just replace all the leds at once and never have to deal with it again its strange other digital effects ivehad for many yearw and the leds never burn out

hey how about sharing that trivium profile?

pleaassseeee
    :)

Timo from Kemper stated that after an update the rigs are freshly scanned by the profiler. That's why in the beginning more rigs turn up as 'last imported'. After a real new import it's back to normal of course.

yes this is true but in my case i have done a few "real imports " and it still shows the list from the first import , not the freshly scanned list with all of my rigs its showing a specific 5 rigs from the first real import i did , although i did 2 more imports after that , those rigs do not show up under last imported list just continues to show the 5 , but they are there in the all rigs list