Posts by Tilman

Hi, Gianfranco, only a small notice to you. Shouldn't you put CE marking on the product to show that it meets EC directives? I didn't find any on the photos. Just mentioning it, so you wouldn't have any problems. ;)

That is correct.

It is illegal to officially sell such equipment inside the EU without a CE sign on it.
    No, it does not cost 20.000USD to have a CE sign legally on the product.
    The product must follow certain regulations though.
    From what I see on the pictures, it does not do that.

It is also illegal to officially sell a product like that inside the EU without the small garbage can sign on it (that stands for the manufacturers responsibility to handle the recycling of electronic equipment).
    To get this, one will have to pay about 500,- Euro a year and about 300,- euro initial cost..
    I have to pay that.

All of that has little to do with politics or conspiracy theories. It is just the rules and laws we have agreed on and that we should follow.

I do not want to bash the Ambrosi amp here, but this topic has come up and I think it is only fair to mention it here, since all of this will and must have an impact on cost and prices for products.

Tilman

I know what you're saying but isn't this something you'd like available all the time when connected to the Kemper?

One would think so, yes, but this is a typical theory and practice example.
    The reality is, that some players even modify their FRFR cabinet so that the tweeter can be switched off.
    Some feel that a tweeter (no matter if the tweeter sits inside the 12" cone ,as it does in a coax speaker, or close to the 12") is in the way when it comes to crunchy sounds, such as the typical AC30 grind.
    For some players there are just too many high frequencies in the mix with the tweeter.
    Some are really happy when they switch from a FRFR to a GFR (like our standard Camper 112 or 212). They feel that only then the sound has the real "amp feel".

Why is that ?

I believe the reason is that NO tube amplifier (we still want to reproduce that sound, right ?) ever used a tweeter in the cabinet section.
    The tweeter sound does not sound "natural" or "real" to those players.

Another reason might be the profile itself and the way it has been taken from the original amp / speaker.
    If you point the profiling microphone "too" close to the center of the speaker you wish to profile, the overall sound gets to harsh (too much treble).
    Away from the center - it gets muddy.
    Sound engineers spend years just with the positioning and the right microphone choice when they want to make a recording of a guitar cabinet.

If your profile is a little on the trebly side, the tweeter in your FRFR cabinet might be very dispensable.

For modern sounds like Marillion, Mike Oldfield, special effects (as Ingolf mentioned) , acoustic guitar and other instruments, FRFR, hence the tweeter, is useful or even necessary.

Some players say they NEED the extra treble a tweeter provides.
    They find GFR dull and not "sparkly" enough.

It all comes down to a matter of taste, as always.

However, from experience Marco and I found it very helpful to have the choice between GFR and FRFR.

That is why we choose that concept for the Camper Plus.

Tilman

??? The Camper Plus is GFR+FRFR.

It is NOT a traditional guitar cabinet with added FRFR . Not. It is not that.

It is GFR+ FRFR.

The 12" speakers frequency response is flat.

Too flat for a distorting tube amp.

Why? Because there a too many high frequencies, that a guitar speaker just does not have.

Why do we want to have a flat response here ?

Because we want to be able to hear a Greenback profile AND an Jensen profile with this speaker.

Tilman

Hi GregGibbs,

they :
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html?country=ury
    will ship the Palmer to you for 60,- Euro.

Shipping for our kit to the US will be about 50,- Euro or so.

As soon as the kit will be available, we will offer a completely assembled cabinet with the kit already installed into it.
    It might be worth to do the math on which option (palmer + shipping + kit + shipping or complete cabinet + shipping ) is the best option for you.

" Best of both worlds with an FRFR and a guitar cab."

I would like to point out that this is not exactly the case.
    A guitar cab has a guitar speaker in it, like the Greenback Ingolf mentioned.
    Those guitar speakers leave a large footprint on the overall sound result. You will never be able to eliminate that footprint from your sound.
    Say you use that greenback.
    If you use a Deluxe Reverb profile, you will hear a DR played through a Greenback. If you switch to a MESA profile....MESA through a Greenback.

The Camper Plus does not do that. Even if you switch to GFR (guitar flat response), it will leave a minimal footprint on the overall sound. It will reproduce the speaker profile out of the KPA as accurate as possible.
    Therefore the speaker simulation/profile should be ON in the KPA.

If you would connect the Camper Plus cabinet to a tube amp, it would not sound very good, because the "guitar speaker footprint" is missing and the tube amp sound would be to harsh.

I tried my best to explain all of that in the first video in the Camper Plus thread, but I imagine that there is some language barrier here that I am not quite able to overcome....
    Tilman

Hi mbenigni,

I am glad your Camplifier STUDIO has finally arrived and that you like it !! :)
    Yes, 25W can be very loud indeed. We are all so used to high numbers such as the 600W the Power Head offers that we sometimes forget, that the guys back in the day used this kind of power (like the JTM45) to play complete rock shows.....

You will get the most sound pressure out of your Camplifier with an 8 ohms cabinet and high efficient speakers. If you , for example , use an 4x12" ohms cabinet with V30 in it.....you might already need some hearing protection.

About my only passing concern is the fact that the power supply to the Camplifier Studio (the U.S. version) is a two-pronged AC adapter rather than a 3-prong with dedicated ground pin. I don't know whether this even matters, but every modern power amp I encounter has 3-prong power, and I wonder about safety. Can anyone (perhaps Tilman?) speak to this? Is it assumed that the signal cable establishes a shared ground between the Camplifier Studio and the properly grounded KPA itself?

No worries here. The beauty of the wall wart supply is that is completely isolates the 120V AC (which could be dangerous) from your system.
    It will then send 24V DV voltage to the Camplifier, which is the same voltage your Power Book supply sends to your Macintosh Computer.
    The technical term here is "protected extra low voltage" (PELV).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E…ra-low_voltage_.28PELV.29

This voltage is so low, that you could even use it in childrens tools.
    The "3rd connector", the safety ground, is not needed nor required here.

The 3-pronged sockets and plugs you are talking about are used on equipment on which you connect your "wall voltage" (230V or 120V) directly to it (like the KPA or the bigger Camplifiers).

You are absolutely right to worry about such things. Most musicians are a little to optimistic in that regard I think.
    One should never eliminate the safety ground on their equipment, just because it might eliminate hum.
    When playing at locations you don`t know, it is always a good idea to carry an inexpensive "safety check plug" with you and test the local safety ground before switching on the equipment.

This is especially true for equipment connected with a power cord directly to the wall socket.
    The Campliifer STUDIO does not fall into that category and is therefore free from such considerations.

Tilman

Hi guys,

hop on the couch and watch this nice Camplifier STUDIO introduction / review video from Mr. Bond now !

It is presented in real English this time !! ;)

Enjoy :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tilman

Hi guys,

I apologize for keeping you waiting so long.
    This has been no strange marketing tactic or something ; I am very busy with building Camplifiers at the moment (don`t know what happened, but I like it :) ).

OK, here is what I have got :

The KIT will be available early February.
    The purchase price for the KIT including :

- 12" broad band speaker
    - tweeter
    - crossover
    - venting board ; covered in TOLEX black
    - mounting board
    - set of screws
    - new label for the jack mounting plate
    - documentation

will be 257,- Euro incl. 19% VAT ( 216,96 Euro for overseas users) + shipping cost.

I will let you know when the KIT is available in the shop, but it will be no later than week 8.

Tilman

Sorry, this is not the case.

The KPA Solutions site is a .com site and targets a world wide user group.
    Prices are shown without the German VAT (19%) and this is clearly stated there.
    Prices including VAT are stated there too.

The Ritter Shop is a .de domain and must list prices including VAT by law.
    All EU citizens have to pay those prices (including VAT).

If you create an account (even a guest account) and state the shipping address to be outside of the EU, prices will switch to be without VAT and will be the same as on the KPA Solutions site.

All of this is not is not my idea, it is just how the system works here.

Tilman

Hi mbenigi,

I really do hope Steeldome will chime in here to tell us about his experience, but please allow me to give some hints to your question.

As you mentioned already, "loud" is relative.

How LOUD is the drummer.
    How small is the bar.
    How good are the bar owners nerves ?

Seriously :

Loudness and sound pressure depend on :

- room size-
    - your loudspeaker efficiency (dB/W/m - high numbers are better ; like 102dB/W/m)
    - how many speakers do you use (1x12", 2x12", 4x12")

Viabroce wrote a very good and detailed explanation of all that in his Ambrosi amp thread.

However, the Camplifier STUDIO is not made for rock bands with loud rock drummers.

I know how loud loud rock drummers can be since I play with one.
    Good drummers are usually not that loud, but not many of us have the fortune to play with really good drummers in bands.

For that drum monster, I would choose the Camplifier 180 or (if you must ) at least the Ambrosi.

Tilman

I would like a 2 x 25W model. Would it be much lighter than the 2 x 180W model? What advantage would there be? Just a cheaper price?

Also, how do your amplifiers compare to the one that comes with the Powered Kempers? I have a Mesa 20/20P Tube power amp, but with the new profiling method, solid state power amps are recommended, so this has me looking around. I was looking at various Carvin solid state amps and I even have an old Crown Microtech amp (but it weighs a millions pounds). Your solution looks perfect.

A 2x25W model would be maybe 0,3 kg or so lighter than the 2x180W version (Camplifier 360). The Camplifier 360 is already very light (1,1kg or so).

Advantage ? Well, it is less powerful and can be produced at lower cost, which results in a lower selling price.
    It can handle 2x4ohms speakers. The 2x180W minimal speaker impedance is 2x8ohms.

How do my amps compare to the KPA Power Head internal amp ?
    The power head uses a 600W class D amp.
    Non of my amps offer 600W.
    Some of my amps offer stereo amplification, which the power head does not.
    Sound wise (frequency response, THD figures @ listening level, damping factor) ; they have very similar figures, I will say.

In this day and age it is not that difficult to design a class D (or even A/B) amplifier with almost "perfect" technical specifications.
    At the end, It comes down to size and power , especially in the very special case of installing such an amplifier into an existing unit, such as the KPA lunchbox.
    So we got another advantage here : Our amplifiers can be installed into your existing KPA within minutes, without the need to open the KPA and voiding the warranty.
    As far as I know, this is not possible to do with the internal power head amplifier.

Tilman

Hello

2015 will be a great years ;)
    Is it possible to use 2 of them for a stereo amplification ?

Regards
    Denis

Hi,

that would be possible, but with two drawbacks :

1. I would have to flip the right side STUDIO around to fit it into the left side of the cavity. The front panel is shiny on one side and a little scratchy (not polished) on the other side. That means the left side Camplifier would look a little more vintage than the standard one.
    2. With the mono version, more than half of the back opening is still open and available for storing the wall wart power supply and other cables into it.
    You would loose that when you close the back side opening of the KPA with two Camplifier STUDIOs.

Apart from that : It would be totally possible,

If there is a need for a 2x25W Camplifier I could design one and use only one powerful supply instead of two (that we would have to use if we just install two STUDIO into the KPA).

What do you think ? Is it worth the effort to do the math on this ?

Tilman

Hello,

sorry for for the inconvenience caused by the broken kpa-solutions.com data base.
    I will fix this A.S.A.P. .

You will find the same and even more detailed information about the Camplifier at:

ritteramps.com
    or
    http://www.shop.ritteramps.com

The black and green powder coated versions are the Camplifiers we currently offer.

Tilman