Posts by nightlight

Yes, I do remember the issues you were having with your mixer. That turned out to be a bad channel, but I'm a bit wary about saying the same thing about the interface. The harshness of sound indicates problems with gain staging: remember, the volume output from your speakers is separate from the level of the input from your Kemper. I imagine that you are sending a loud enough signal, but by trying to amplify it further, you are introducing additional gain, which is resulting in clipping. If you want volume, you have to amplify your speakers, not the signal being sent from the Kemper. '

Think of it like a mixer. There's a level going into the mixer. You can analyse this level by looking at the LED strip indicating the level of a signal, even if there is no volume coming. Then you raise the volume of that channel, which results in sound going to the speakers. But if you raise this beyond a point, you will find that the clipping indicator is flashing, so you need to back that down. Now, to raise volume, you have to increase the master output on your mixer, which is solely for increasing volume on the speaker, rather than increasing the level of the input signal.

Switch back to line level and do a simple recording. Look at the waveform that is created in your DAW. Is it puny, or is it beefy?

Could also be that your display adaptor settings are set that way. I had that problem with a while on my dual display PC, as a result of which certain things were appearing outside the frame. Just need to make sure that the aspect ratio is correct and not skewed or scaling things. Your display card config software should allow you to do this.

Sorry to hijack but I have had a similar problem...just thought I'd try runnign through my PC but it sounds harsh.First question - what level should I use, line level ( I get virtually no sound), mike or instrument level ? I have the output set to around -20db.Could it be my interface ( a Novation Nio) as I normally use on board sounds ???

You should be using line level, since that's the signal being output by the Kemper. If you're not getting any sound, check the output level for the output pair you're using. Also, try adjusting master volume and see if you get a better signal. Remember, the sound may be low in volume if you're speakers are set to output that much; what matters is the strength of the signal being received by your DAW. Harshness from the KPA to me indicates that your signal is clipping, it's usually very smooth.

I really wish I had the money to buy plugins. I know they can make a great impact on recordings. But I always feel I'm not getting the most out of the free plugins that come bundled with my software.

So my question is, what's the compelling reason for many of you guys to buy new plugins? Much better than the bundled stuff, with more features? Is it stuff you can't find in most DAWs anyway? Did you attain a level of proficiency before buying, or is it something that comes with acquiring such plugins?

Problem is, I ordered a couple of months ago, but the confirmation email got caught in my spam filter. I then spent the money on a PRS Starla, thinking that the waiting list was so long, I didn't even get a reply. Wrong! I can't unspend the spare cash I had, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Sam

ps my eldest wants to be a drummer.... :/

Not the end of the world if you quit the list and rejoin it when you have the cash. Might want to invest in an e-drumkit for the eldest to get started at low volumes, that way you'll have a jam buddy at home.

Monitor choice is such a personal thing, much like profiles for the KPA. You really can't take anyone's advice on the Internet (aside from things like quality control, build quality etc.). It's just too subjective. The only advice you can offer or accept is to find a dealer with a few different makes and models, test them in their showroom, then get some sort of 14-day trial deal and try your favourites in your own room (can make a HUGE difference!). Sorry, there isn't really another way to do it properly.

Having said that, I like Focal, Neumann/K&H, Dynaudio, am not too keen on Genelec even though I use them everyday at work, but have Acoustic Energy AE22s in my own studio, with a pair of Adam A5X to cross-reference and an Avantone Mixcube.

Cheers,
    Sam

Sam, I've been interested in getting a Genelec 8040B as a second monitoring system in my setup. Which Genelecs do you use? What don't you like about them? Anything to like vis-a-vis you're preferences, like the Dynaudios?

Yes, all I would like to ask in regards of this feature, is to keep the current (soon to be "old") way of profiling 100% unchanged and, more so, default. Being able to profile whole rig was a major tipping point when I bought Kemper and imo this is the feature which makes it unique. I really don't care about IRs and swapping cabs, it's a waste of time for me and final effect is usually mediocre and artificial sounding - all modellers except Kemper sound like that, and for me it renders them unusable. Having DI available on stage might be useful tho.

On a rant note, I have a feeling that you going to create a major confusion for potential buyers by introducing IRs to Kemper. I am certainly very confused atm, as of where the development of the amp heads to. Sometimes less is more. Having said that, I can always stay on older firmware forever.

I think there's a lot of confusion about the new direct profiling.
    1) First off, It does not obviate the possibility of creating profiles in the old way. You can still create profiles without all the complex routing to a DI and cab, profiling separately, etc.
    2) It does not stop you from using old profiles. However, the new profiles have a different structure from the old ones. This is why we were told that old profiles will not split up in the same way as the new ones.
    3) The new DI profiles are banned from the rig exchange as of now. I think we should expect some changes in the rig exchange in the coming weeks that will clearly distinguish direct profiles from regular ones.

As far as sound, I'm the least likely person to have a view, since I don't use my profiler with cabs. Some users have indicated that the profiles don't sound 100% identical and that is interesting. But I'd wait to see some commercial profiles come out and indeed even user profiles en masse to form an opinion, based on what everyone is saying. Still relatively new tech.