Posts by MuddyFox

Huh...
    I was gonna treat myself to a nice frfr speaker for xmas... first I hear of all sorts of rattle issues with L6 L2t (that L6 has been aware for a year and has done nothing about it) and now I hear of CLRs dying left and right, with no support to speak of.

What's left in that league of hardware that's not flawed or a PITA to get right?

CK is right that one could ideally remove the studio profiles if the direct box didn't color the sound at all. We found that the direct box has a small effect on the tone, so the studio and merged profiles differ very slightly. Because of this we kept both merged and studio profiles in the pack.

Jimi

Yes, please keep the studio profiles :thumbup:

So Ingolf... could you be armtwisted into borrowing a Helix and doing a Helix vs Kemper shootout similar to the M3 vs CLR? That one was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumbup:

I know the Helix's supposedly been in development for years but it's a funny coincidence that L6 seems to have openly stepped up their game just when Yammie entered the picture...

Welcome, bud!

That's a scary story... My wife has no idea what the toaster costs (which is why I'm still here typing away), so thanks for the heads up not to go to the minefield that is Germany... 8)

I haven't had the presence of mind to try recording audio only (nor have I installed Reaper yet since my Win10 installation) so I can't say for sure whether it's MM messing things up. I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Thanks D.!

Alrite folks.... I'm hoping we're of a "there are no stupid questions" garden variety people here, as I have one that just may be crossing that line... :rolleyes:

I don't record much, if at all. My Kemper is for my enjoyment only. That said, I've come across a need to record a video, featuring the sound coming from the Kemper, with a backing track.

I have the Kemper connected to the Roland Quadcapture via spdif, which is then connected to the pc via usb cable. This enables me to play backingtracks on the pc and have them get mixed into the signal coming out of the Roland (where I have my headphones plugged in). I installed Win10 a few days back, which now again come with Windows Movie Maker software.
    So I fire up the MM, select my Logitech webcam as a video source and my QC as an audio source. I press record, play, press stop. Upon reviewing the resulting video (wmv, default setting in MM) I am now faced with the problem and the main reason for this thread, namely that the recorded sound is crap. Like, not even close to what I'm hearing in my headphones.
    Could it be that wmv sound compression is so severe that it messes up the sound so much that even I with my tin ears have no other choice but to call it crap? Add to that whatever YT does to uploaded vids and the sound is even worse. Shouldn't be, though, as I've seen plenty of YT Kemper DIY vids that just sound stellar.

Or, instead of trying to fix things that may or may not be fixable, is there a way of recording such a setup that will yield better results? I've read of folks recording video and audio separately and stitching them together but I'd rather avoid yet another piece of software and add another process to the mix because I won't be doing it often enough to warrant the hassle.

I've never recorded the Kemper, but I have recorded my 11R into Reaper for audio sharing purposes and don't recall the recording sounding significantly worse than what I was hearing from my headphones.

So there... I'm probably missing something as all of this really is straightforward.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I myself am still looking at it for the effects, the gui and the connectivity. Ampsim fails don't concern me much as I've got my Kemper for that.
    If the effects turn out to be meh as well, that's when I'll give up on it. As it is, I'm still somewhat interested in it.

Those THRs are great! I had the small one, and I miss it. Actually sold it to get the Kemper.
    I still like the idea of the Kemper on the desk and the THR on the shelf in the living room.

To me the THR 10 was a disappointment.
    It simply doesn't sound too good with the small speaker.
    For a cheap backup or practice amp the Fender Mustang III is MUCH better.
    IMO.

I'm trying to picture the M3 on the shelf in the living room... can't really do it without also seeing the inevitable mariticide taking place. ^^

My five cents on the matter (my opinion and the five cents get you exactly a nickel) is that THR, however hyped, to me is also a disappointment. I've had it right on my desk in front of me, right next to my Roland Microcube GX (the little one) and to my ear, apart from little more "space" coming out of the THR due to the stereo speaker setup, it had nothing on the Cube at all. At twice/thrice the cost, to me it's just not worth it. Maybe the PC software would make it better but out of the box, I could get much better toanz from the microcube.

Now, if you needed it to be a pc interface as well, well then it's just apples and oranges...

Yeah! I've had tinnitus for several years, caused by a medicine..

Same here, going on 20 years now. Caused by an ototoxic chemical that was part of another medical treatment. Almost made me deaf so I count my blessings that I "only" got severe tinnitus.

Learnt to deal with it but not all people do. Some even take psych drugs to deal. Not a trivial issue, that's for sure.

OK thanks, that makes sense... so what do direct outs get with the merged profile?

OK just to clarify yet again...

the enclosed pdf states:
    "
    M = Merged profile (Kemper Direct Out contains no speaker cabinet, while Main Out does)
    DI = Direct Output profile (Kemper Direct Out and Main Out contain no speaker cabinet)
    "

- the pack contains no DI profiles? only "oldskool" and merged (oldskool being ones without a M/DI designation)?
    - I'm going through Tilmans frfr diy Palmer cab. I can obviously use it with the M profile by using the main outs. What does Monitor out get? Cab or no cab?

I said it before, but IF the Helix FX are really good it'd make perfect sense to buy it as an FX and controller unit alone, regardless of its modeling capabilities.
    And remember, the Helix is about the price of three Strymons.

That's been exactly my point all along. No more, no less.

Seeing how I own zero Strymons, I only need to wait and see if the Helix delivers in any of the categories I'm looking at. No rush whatsoever.

. It's really simple to add external effects of any kind to the Kemper,

Which is why I'm looking at Helix, among other things. Nothing to do with amp tones that may or may not be in that box, but for the fx and routability and some flexibility to add to my Kemper. How good that implementation is going to be remains to be seen and I don't have a problem with waiting this one play itself out. ;)

I've seen quite a few complaints on various forums that the recognition algorithm is flaky at best. That it takes quite a few tries to get anywhere near to the backing you have in mind and that sometimes it's just completely off, no matter how simple your progression is.

Due to all that, I'm nowhere near ready to pull the trigger on one just yet.