Posts by V8guitar

Great points guys. It seems to say a lot that Kemper doesn’t keep rehashing this amazing product like most companies. This is turning into a great learning experience.

I look at it this way...if my amp was stolen, what would I buy to replace it.

For me, no question, another Kemper. I have never been in this situation before, I was always searching for something better. I have not changed in 5 years now.

Helix and Ax are great devices with slight differences in empahsis. My view is the the KPA is the most simialr to a regular amp i set up, layout and built in power amp.

Bought the toaster. My only concern or negative thought is the idea of 2012 technology. Maybe there is a different way I should view that?

Valve amps are 1950's tech but still grace the stages and studios of the best..

Yeah I get the concern but it still hangs with the best out there. Is the sound out dated? Nah.

For me all I see with "newer" tech is more effects and prettier interfaces.

Sure you do. Happens all the time. You don't even have to look outside NAMM '19 to see it.

Wampler Pedals demo'd their new Terraform. Which they said would be out in Summer. Much like Kemper, they've communicated that it's taking longer than expected and to hang tight. Nothing is 'fundamentally flawed'. But getting it right is taking more time than expected.

It happens. All the time.

In addition, the software at NAMM would purely be demo, not stable, all features working properly etc. so its not a question of " it was complete at NAMM and its taken 9 months to get out of the door. I suspect a lot of on going development has continued.

Again, not unusual.

Really happy you've got the sound you want but....

I do struggle a bit with the combination in the same way I still don't understand why people still need OD or boost pedals.

There are 15,000 profiles out there on RE alone and countless commercial profiles and yet you are not alone in not finding your sound without adding other stuff.

The Helix is also a great device with loads of great sounds but the thought of trying to use both gives me a headache. I'm sure there is someone out there using Helix, KPA and Axe in an even more complex set up..

In my mind if you are having to add more gain or eq. etc. and hence presumably why you run out of effects slots then its probably the wrong profile. It just seems overly complex and expensive to add more external gear. One of the big things to me about the KPA is its a one stop shop.

I have always looked for the right base sound and then just added time based effects on top. More gain needed? Get an amp with enough gain ( hence why I used ENGL's and not Marshall - btw I know they sound different but there are other options)..hence I'm not even close to running out of effects slots.

I know this isn't how others use it and no criticism intended, just wanted to share my approach. Keeping it simple has so many advantages, not least matching devices ( gain levels etc), additional gear and connections blah blah - it just shows what a diverse bunch we are..

Maybe I'm just too easily pleased :)

Funny how everyone seems to be a software developer now.... ;)

Been managing software delivery for 20+ years.

Us lot chiming in shows:

1) Lots of IT folk are guitar geeks...hmmm something in that

2) I imagine there is a higher relative proportion of IT guitar players using the latest tech (Kemper, Helix, Axe etc) as we are in the digital world - no offence to people who use Valves, but its soooo 80 's :)

3) We think we know best about all software development :)

I was reflecting on this yesterday about another topic....user expectations are so high now, which is great in that it drives innovation and competition but also leads to "never satisfied". If a package takes Amazon ( or any other supplier in that market) longer than 1 day to be delivered, its a long time!

Some of the comments about what is expected from a £2000 guitar amp - apply any of this to a Boogie or any other high end product and it falls short. Because the Kemper is a tech product, we expect tech support and responses which in itself is an innovation in this area.

I still feel happy that the product is great, the response from Kemper is generally very good, I feel I've had a say in its product development etc.

Now, finish the editor please so we can have a moan about something else....my bet is dual amps and OD pedals....on and the Kabinet...

Yours "never happy",

V8

I think that's a bit harsh. I agree about sales and marketing over promising but in this case we are getting comments from the developers. CK is so close that I don't think ( total guess) that sales and marketing have a big influence.

I don't think anyone is trying to mislead, as I think you are also in software, you know that issues can arise late in the day/cycle. Its frustrating and annoying but I'd prefer some predictions rather than none. As a small team, impacts/variations will be higher.

However, we are all speculating so I could be wrong. :)

I'm happy that we've had some interaction from G string and I took it as his best view at that time. Another update would be nice as I have to confess I keep having a look...

Reason #1 kazillion why software verification and validation should never be undertaken by anyone who had the remotest (Is that a word?) knowldege of the product or application being developed. I can't tell you how many times we got screwed when the apps team was forced to verify their own code and the minute it got released into the wild, it was Problem Report Central. Conversely, when we farmed V&V out to foreign country test houses (I'm looking at you, India, and you, Bulgaria), we got a kazillion bugs filed... even if they were the most remote of corner cases. "No, 'David' (I know that's not your real name, Srinivasan, so stopping calling yourself that!), no one is going to ever try to do that with the application. Failing our code for something that literally is beyond stupid is not a valid bug!" You'd think they got paid per bug or something.

There is a balance isn;t there? I am constantly validating whether the test scenarios are valid...

Fair enough, although I still don't see the point of more cabs.

FOH should be taken care of via direct outs, so its only monitoring for yourself and the rest of the band. I play some reasonably big venues and festivals, and if we struggle, I just put more through the PA monitors.

Given your name, is this for Bass?