Posts by Antipodes

Just on fizz - not sure how loud you are driving the cabs but speakers themselves can be a source of artifacts - mechanical distortion. One way to keep your power tubes working is to drive more than one cab even if you only mic one.

Sounds great - your low to mid gain profiles haven't had so much attention in the thread but I am liking them a lot. The range of cabs really brings out a lot of interesting variations.

@mickrich - thanks for your work on these profiles. I am late to the party on these but I like what I'm hearing.

Just on ribbons - frequency balance for dynamics and ribbons particularly is strongly influenced by the "proximity effect" - eg put many mics straight in front of your mouth and a few millimeters away --> you get loads of extra bass and come across like Darth Vader. As you back it away, the bass boost is attenuated and you get a more balanced sound. Of course your mic pre or mixer channel may offer bass rolloff or other Eq options.

Same goes with speaker cabs, close micing with a ribbon or 57 will be much bassier than the sound a few more inches away. As you back further and further away - some of the Jazz oriented profiles on RE were done from 1.2 meters - it will get darker in most rooms as the balance between direct sound and reflected sound tilts toward the latter.

Close micing - right on the grille can be necessary for isolation - eg live on stage or in a studio with multiple musicians spilling onto your guitar mic - but in a situation where a guitar part is being recorded as an overdub or a solo track, the mics can be anywhere that sounds good - depends on the amp, room and what you're going for. The sound we all like from an album could have been obtained with no close mics at all. Eg - the recent discussion here on the guitar riff sound on the Money for Nothing session at AIR studios which was a complete accident - stray mics pointed at the floor etc. No engineers were involved ;)

If close micing with Shure dynamics like the 57 is generating profiles which are too bright, a darker mic like the MD 421 might work. Not sure how much studio gear you have but if you have ribbon mics like the Royer 121 or 101 or the Beyerdynamic M160 or large diameter condensers like the AT 40X0 mics or a Neumann you might find these are less peaky in the upper mids. With those, or any dynamics for that matter, you can try profiling from further back from the cone. Just some suggestions if you are experimenting.

I had a similar issue in the last few days - 1000 rigs warning on KPA when booting it up but RM telling me I had just 960.

I had been saving multiple new rigs to the KPA and then moving them to RM folders on my PC and deleting them from the KPA to make room for more. I reverted to the previous release version of the OS which fixed this and contacted support. Support said to reinstall the latest beta and hold the rig button down for 30 secs on reboot of the KPA.

Hi Acy,

That 2017 L rig sounds excellent with an LP - as do pretty much all of your profiles of this amp. It sounds a little "further back" than the MC200/Creamback profiles with more mids and less bass and top end fizz. The greenback heritage set sure has a classic rock sound. Looking forward to these new profiles.

The 4 new ones are very good also. The DIs are incredibly useful because they can be mated with any other cabs. Your studio profiles sound great with this new batch. If you do some more, any chance you could go for some low - mid gain profiles? Thanks so much for these profiles.

This one is with Orange PPC412 cab loaded with V30. MKIV channel boosted with OD. 57/421 mic combo.
    Nice ROCK profile! Let me know what you think!

This one is pretty versatile too - works with neck and bridge pickups - not as bright and scooped as the AHW cab. Loads of gain on that channel setting. I tried backing off the gain a tad and that was quite good also.

Hi Nicky,

The file is available for download immediately after the paypal process - you can grab it when the process returns you to the merchant's website.

Love the sounds from the era this pack covers and TJ has done a great job on realising these tones. Looking forward to more classic sounds in this vein.

Gotta say - the cabs in this set - eg the cabs from BinBl Angus M/Angus lead M - work like stink on just about any Marshall style head profiles I have tried. They have plenty of bass and lower mids and sound awesome on low to mid gain 1959 style amps like the RR and the YJM signature amps and on classics like the JTM 45. Even putting these cabs on higher gain amp profiles like the Cameron CCV and Steavens Poundcake profiles on RE sounds great.