Posts by tdh

Hi

My 2 cents ,I have had my kemper now for a few years and up until recently I was using a powered speaker namely a Yorkville parasource. It sounded good but lately something was missing. I decided to go the guitar cab route so I picked up a 2 12 greenback cab with a art power amp. Well I had to do some tweaking of course,turn off cab sims etc.. but its so much closer to a real amp and guitar cab. I don't know why I waited so long to try this. I find the tone cleaner and more what I am used to hearing a guitar amp and cab sound like. I can still run xlr out with guitar sim to PA and use my cab for my monitor and frankly most of the places I play live we go cab live anyway. It just feels like I'm more in the zone of what I want to hear.Also for me FRFR is nice but a guitar sits in such a narrow range I feel sometimes a FRFR is to much in that regard.

Cheers

Hi
    Fist of all I am using a unpowered toaster through a FRFR rig with powered speakers. I am using Bert M Friedman profiles (amazing profiles) I have been tweaking the profiles and noticed how good they sound with a pure boost in the front and then I use a boost in the loop to boost my leads above the band mix if needed. I also have a tube screamer in the front if I need a little extra sustain which I may or may not use depending on how things are sounding. I also use the studio EQ in the loop to further refine the profile. These profiles are totally kicking butt!

I went with the green backs very good ir's I too had some ownhammer irs and although they are good the celestons were better for me

I purchased some ir s from celeston, OMG what a difference an ir can make . The profiles I am using sound so much better with these new ir s . I was getting a bass freq I couldn't dial out these irs solved the issue big time. They don't work for every profile but for the mid to high gain profiles they work great.

Thanks Guys

Tim

HI

This question may have been asked before, tried to do a search but didn't find my answer. Question is- what is the best way to load ir's in to the kemper. I purchased a few and would like to try them out.

Thanks
    Tim

Hi

So here is my story. Had many different amps throughout my career playing music. Bought a kemper a few years ago ,also had a Fractal unit went back to amps for awhile. I decided to give the Kemper another try since I regretted letting it go. Got set up and was running the kemper through a 2 12 cab using a Fryette power station. This rig sounded good but I continued to use my main amp a 50 EVH head a 2 12 cab with a few pedals. I was not happy with the Kemper running through a guitar cab so I thought what the hay plugged it into my PA system which consists of a nice board and very high end powered speakers. Had to do some minimal tweaking and low and behold found some great profiles some paid for, some free on the Kemper forum (BTW there are some amazing profiles on the rig exchange) and OMG the sea parted and the heavens opened up. Its bar none the best tones I've have ever gotten. And portable, I have my Kemper , pedalboard and powered speaker if I so choose to use one or just run direct into to a PA. I even have a smaller rig than my bass player lol and it sounds so good. Even a friend of mine who owns an Fractal says the Kemper cab sims are amazing compared to the Fractal's which is his words are crap.(he uses a better di for his tones) Since I also run a guitar synth and also use a piezo system I'm used to the sound of FRFR so the adjustment wasn't that hard but now going back to a regular guitar amp system some of the tones I'm used to hearing on the kemper aren't there.
    Anyway couldn't be happier and I highly recommend the Kemper to anyone looking for stellar guitar tones. :thumbup:

I tried all kinds of Les Paul's and could not find one I really liked or would purchase. With that said I came across a beautiful 2013 Standard model that was in mint condition and I fell in love with it. It played amazing and sounded great, after setting it up it even got better and is effortless to play. Shortly after that I found another Standard a 2012 model that played well and I was able to purchase it also. I think it just takes time to sort through one that just hits all the marks. keep looking they are there . I've tried and played Paul's from 1,000.00 to 10,000 dollars and have found price isn't always a factor in finding a gem.

I loaned my Kemper to a friend who was anxious to try it (he is an Axe Fx user). Upon receiving it back the unit sounded different, lack of volume and the tone was not very good. At first I thought it was the power amp. I use a EVH 2/12 cab with a fryette power station. So I re tubed the power station but this did not resolve the issue. So I decided to re initialize the Kemper. It was easy to do and low and behold it resolved the issue. I had tons of volume and tone back and once again a happy camper in the Kemper camp! I almost was going to sell the whole rig but glad I continued to resolve the issue. I still don't know what parameter my buddy changed and believe me I looked but in the end things worked out. Sometimes perseverance is the key.

Cheers ! :)

I tried a Rocktron stealth power amp .It was ok and served its purpose. Eventually I bought a Power station and there is a big difference in tone. I much prefer the PS. With that said I have not had the chance to try a powered kemper but I did read of one fellow who did and really liked it.. You are right its a little more to carry around with the PS but at the time I could not afford the powered kemper so I went with PS option.

Hey

Question I downloaded an amazing profile of a 5150II from a fellow named Alex on the rig exchange. His profile says he is in the Alabama area. I am just wondering if any of you guys know him and does he have any more profiles of this amp. Its a great profile and I would love to have a few more . I am blown away by how good this profile is.

Thanks !
    Tim

Hi

I have had a kemper before and I saved some previous rigs. My problem is I would like to re install these rigs or profiles in my kemper. I formatted a usb stick(in the Kemper) and put the older rig on the usb stick but unfortunately the kemper doesn't seem to recognize the file. My am I doing wrong ? There were some profiles I would really like to install in my kemper and cannot at this time. Hope this is clear and that someone out there may have an answer.
    Thanks ?(
    Tim

Hi Guys

I just recently bought a Kemper and I was wondering if you could answer a quick question. I am running a toaster through a Fryette PS and the through a 2 12 cab. Should I disable the cabinet sims since I'm running it this way. Some profiles sound ok with it on others not so much. What is the right way to set this up. I am thinking it probably best to disable it or is it just how the profile sounds and go from there.
    Thanks !
    Tim

Yep had a Helix nice unit but the sounds are not even in the same league a the Kemper. I also had an Atomic amplfire pedal again nice but sound wise way below the tone of the kemper and decent profiles.

My 2 cents you said the sound guy is not a fan of these things lol You must remember that most people( being guitar players and sound guys) sometimes listen with there eyes not there ears if you know what I mean. If you hid what you were playing through would there opinion be the same? Years ago I had a buddy hide his gear under a curtain ,the guitar players there had to know what he was using since they all said his tone was amazing....he was using a Peavey rockmaster pre amp ...lol even at most concerts you really don't know what someone is using unless you know the tech guys on a personal level. Just some thoughts

Cheers

Hi All:
    Just gotta say I am finding the free profiles people are posting are getting very good ,very very good. At first when I bought my Kemper early this year you had to search so hard to find good profiles. The bar has definitely been raised ! Every now and then I go to the profile page and I am always pleased to find high quality sounds. The MS 205 profiles (sorry I forget the fellows name )is outstanding Marshall profiles, very thick and chewy(if you know what I mean). Two thumbs up guys !!! :thumbup:

Thanks !!

Hi
    Just a note to Kemper users(as if you don't already know). I have a unpowered rack kemper. I am using a stealth power amp into a Mesa 2 12 cab. It took me a month or so to tweak my Kemper to how I wanted to hear it but I'm There !! Last night at practice it sounded so good. When I play out I plan to use the main out to the PA as well. The other guitar player is using a tube amp with a few pedals and although he sounds ok the Kemper just sounds so much like a tube amp its incredible. The other thing I noticed is his amp hisses on his gain channel,part of using a tube amp, I know I've been there before.! Sometimes I think maybe it's my setup hissing but nope stone quiet- I profiled my amp( a Wizard MC 2) and I do not miss dragging around a 50 lbs amp. I was one of those guys who said I would never use an set up like this but here I am and loving it lol. For you guys that may struggle with your Kemper stick with it,its worth it. It's also cured my GAS,now when I hear an amp I have no desire to buy it since the kemper sounds so good. I want to thank all the guys on this forum for their help and guidance! I only wish a unit like this would have been out years ago .

Cheers
    Tim :)

Continuing to tweak the Kemper. Maybe you guys who have had the unit for awhile already figured this out but I figured out that if I use the Main EQ section or monitor EQ section you can really fine tune the EQ of the unit to be more amp like. I found turning down the treble and presence control slightly can take away the harshness you may get from powered PA speakers. Also doing the same for the monitor section works equally well going through my guitar cab. I think little changes like this can make a big difference in your overall tone. Just thought I would post this to help out other newbies ! :)