Posts by mbrown3

Thanks...I'm not sure I see that post as the negative that you do. I don't mind tweaking if it gets me where I want to go. I don't mind putting the time in either. Granted, I'd rather have it sound awesome right out of the box, but the end result is what I care about. And generally speaking, I think frequent updates are a good thing. It means they are always improving (hopefully) the product. Isn't that true of everything, though? They put out new cars every year because they have new technology, improved features, better reliability. Every once in a while there's a mis-step and they put out a lemon, but then they fix it and get back to the path of progress.

Either way, I think it's kind of a moot point, or a point leaning slightly in favor of the Kemper. The Axe doesn't offer profiling per se, so you'd never have had the option to profile and sell your amps in the first place. The Axe does have tone matching, but assuming you nailed the sound of your amp(s) for the channels/voicings/etc that matter to you now, you'd still have the same problem if you decided you wanted to tone match differently after selling. And I don't think that tone matching on the Axe would make further tweaking any more authentic than on the Kemper. The only scenario where an amp might behave true to the original across all operating parameters are for the amp models as designed/ programmed by Fractal, and even here that is a matter of their discretion/ preference. Hmm... I wonder whether I'm even making sense at this point. ?( Bottom line, if you think you might want to sell one of these amps eventually, to ease the cost of the KPA or whatever, just make A LOT of profiles of that amp at a lot of different settings, and don't lose them. (This is assuming you don't find profiles on Rig Exchange that you like better than your own anyway.)

But the difference on the Axe, as I understand it, is that it gets close to the sound of an amp, but with the full range of control options for that amp, so that you can tweak it to right where you want it...whereas the Kemper takes a snapshot. So in the Axe's case, it doesn't matter if I have the amp or not, since it's getting to a close approximation anyway. The Kemper, it matters if I have the amp because it's taking an exact snapshot, settings and all...and if I want to change those settings (other than just minor tweaks), I'd need to re-profile.

i don't understand your fear of selling your amps....what would you do if there was no Axe or KPA...use your POD? or even pre POD, you just had to deal. tbh, i'd never sell my tube amps because I think the KPA will just collect its essence and then I can do away with them....IMHO it's the wrong thinking. So, what are you afraid of really? The argument you made in regards to "selling amps" doesn't work.

if you decide for the KPA, learn how to really use it and establish your own profiles keeping in mind your mic choice, mic pres, mic postions, cabs etc....yes, it's a bit more complicated but you get great and better results. It all depends on you. Good Luck! :)

Not sure what you're saying. I'm not afraid to sell an amp...I want to sell my amps. I'm trying to pare down. My fear is over having profiled it and then later not having the amp to be able to re-profile it. I could end up keeping all of my amps, but I'm trying to get away from that.

As for profiling and selling the guitar you profiled with. This is the smallest and almost most unimportant point in the signal chain. Your profiling is done without the guitar at first; in the refining process a guitar is used to add to the algorithm more real information. This has nothing to do with the actual guitar but can be achieved with any guitar. As for selling your amps and re-profling them...well....that just life tbh, it'd be the same with or without KPA ;) just the difference is you got the profile of your amp and still can play what you did.

This is helpful...thanks for clarifying. However, my issue isn't fear over selling a guitar. It's over selling an amp. For example, my main guitar is an Anderson Atom. That's not (ever) going anywhere. I also have a Melancon strat. They sound drastically different through both of my "main" rigs. No problem...I can create profiles using each guitar for each of the amp settings. But say then I sell the MOD50, for example...then later I get a new guitar, or I change pickups, or...whatever. Even if the guitar is the smallest part of the signal chain, I still don't have the amp anymore, in order to re-profile it with whatever new settings. The easy answer is, "just keep your amps" - but I'm trying to cut down on space used as well as to save my back for live.

Still, your point is well taken and it does help to set my mind at ease a bit.

and...the size is not a deal breaker and shouldn't be...2 rack spaces, 3 rack spaces...that is an odd point.

Well, I have limited rack space, so it's an issue if I don't want to buy another rack unit, which I don't.

The Editor is cool but you really need it with the Axe. One of the worst GUI and really high learning curve.

UI doesn't really bother me either way. I would lean much more heavily toward the Kemper just on principle (simpler is better when it comes to tweaking, IMO), but I don't mind learning a new system if it gets me what I want. Still, point to Kemper that it seems quicker/easier to adjust live.

Seems like you already know what you want, you just don't want to admit it to yourself ;) But it's all good, you are still welcome here haha

Not really (truly). As I noted, I'm leaning toward the Kemper, but I really want to make the best choice (for me). This is helping narrow down my thinking, but I don't have a clear cut decision coming into it.

Thanks!

Since you're posting this here, it's not surprising to get such pro-Kemper comments.

Lastly, I gotta say the Kemper forum community wins far and above than those I experienced from the Fractal arena.

Yeah, the pro-Kemper comments here, nor the pro-Axe comments there, are not surprising (I fully expected it), nor are they problematic (I want to hear what people love about their choice/device).

Re: the community, I've found helpful folks on both sides, though their constant harping on my complaints about shipping costs is annoying. $80 shipping for two items totalling 20lbs is just nuts, no matter how many times they say, "It's worth it. Just get over it." No thanks. But otherwise...at least so far...both communities have been helpful.

Ha! Now that IS something that I think all people who have used modellers can argue about - accuracy of clean tones versus distorted tones.

Yeah...I haven't found any modeled clean tones yet that reach the complexity, feel or tonal range/response of the real thing. I'd argue they are farther away from the real thing than most overdriven tones are...at least, in my experience and to my ears.

So I think both products have their place, and will suit different people. Having said that, a couple of things from your OP would seem to support your going with the KPA:

"I’m a simple player. I mostly use a couple of effects at any given time, and tend to rotate between 2-3 basic amp tones (clean, crunch, “searing lead”). I want those tones to be as amazing as possible"
    "Capturing the ranges of sounds from those two amps (which are many) is crucial."

Yeah, this is great. My two biggest hangups right now with the Kemper are: 1. what happens if down the road I get a new guitar and/or sell off one or more of my amps and need to re-profile but don't have access to the gear? And 2. if the reverbs and delays are not up to snuff (both quality and adjustment options) with the Axe-FX (or any other unit, really), that's going to be a problem for me, since those are my go-to effects.

Thanks for the unbiased assessment. I posted this same thing both here and on the Fractal forums, and (as expected) most folks are are pro Kemper and there are pro Axe-FX...but still helpful to get a clearer picture of what will be better for me. Noting the weaknesses actually does more to sell me on this product than it turns me away from it.

The lack of full-on editor is troubling, but (as you noted) hopefully that will be resolved in the near future. Of more difficulty is the idea that some of the effects need to be worked on, especially reverb and delay...the only two effects I use pretty much all the time. What, specifically, is lacking about them?

For me the KPA was the winner. I am not a great tweaker by any means, nor do I enjoy it. I like to plug into an amp, twist a few knobs, and play. Either I dig it or I don't. With the KPA - if I don't dig it, it's no big deal. Next profile please. The AXE is much more about editing in my experience. You can get there, but there are menus after menu to wade through and for me it was tedious. Can sum it up in that the KPA is ALL about the profile - there are some great ones, but there are also some not so great ones. I let my ears decide. The AXE to me is more about tweaking. There are some great tweakers (watch Mark Day vids for instance), and some not so great (me). I was never able to tweak my AXE to the tone nirvana I have achieved with some of my favorite profiles. I realize this is simply because I am at best an average tweaker and guys like Andy at TAF and MBritt have golden ears and serious profiling skills. But both units can get you there - it's just what road do you choose to take.

Thanks...this is pretty much what my fear is with the Axe-FX. I like the idea of tweaking more than the reality. I get excited about doing it...all of the endless possibilities...then I sit down to do it and get bored quickly and think, "I just want to play."

You say that you want to nail the tones of your current rig (that's my interpretation). For this I would probably recommend the kemper, because that's exactly what it offers you - i.e. the ability to take a profile of your amp (one specific amp setting at a time).
    Keep in mind that if you want to nail THAT specific tone and THIS specific tone, then that would best be done by having two different profiles ("presets", if you will, although that terminology is wrong) and switch between them, rather than tweaking on the fly. The kemper takes a profile of an amp at ONE amp setting at a time, so it doesn't capture the totality of the amp (i guess the axe-fx doesn't do this either).

This is helpful. One note, though: what makes you say that the Axe-FX doesn't capture the "totality of the amp"? My impression is this: the Kemper will take a perfect snapshot of your rig as you profile it (including pickups, mic, settings, etc), whereas the Axe-FX will get more of the overall general amp, including tweakability, tone controls, etc. As such, it may get you 80 to 90% close to an amp...not perfect...but it will allow for tonal adjustments better than the Kemper since it's "locked in time". For me, this may be one of the biggest hangups in deciding which way to go. On the one hand, I'm not sure 80-90% is good/close enough, even with the ability to fine tune the tone from there. OTOH, I'm worried that I'll profile my amps/settings and maybe sell them off (my intention is to keep either the RK or the MOD50...probably not both) and then get a new guitar down the road, and suddenly my profiles on the Kemper don't sound right, and I don't have the amp anymore to profile again with the new guitar.

I could type a two page essay discussing each point you made, but lets not go there because I already know which unit you'll be playing very soon...good choice. :thumbup:

Good thoughts. One thing, though...I think it is actually infinitely harder to recreate really accurate, good clean tones than overdriven tones, because much of the nuance is lost in the "noise" of distortion. In clean tones, there is nowhere to hide. I know overdriven tones are more detailed and complex (because there is more going on), but the vast majority of digital/modeling clean tones just blow. I vehemently disagree with your assertion that you could plug in a Redbox or ToneLab and have good clean tone (I note that you said, "reasonably", but if reasonably = Redbox/ToneLab/etc, then it's not good enough). I can get very usable overdriven tones from most modelers...I have yet to find a true, workable clean tone. That's why the Kemper appeals to me...if it can truly capture the magic, snap, and response of a good clean tone, I'll be all over it.

FYI, I've also tried the HD500 and ElevenRack...neither is good enough. They're OK...good, even. But not close enough for what I want. I'm picky. My greatest strength is my ear. And if it doesn't sound good enough, I won't use it. Neither of those is good enough for me to use.

But, I digress. I appreciate your thoughts. Good info. I don't much care about the flame wars (other than wanting to avoid them). I'm more interested in what will work better for me. As I said, I'm leaning toward the Kemper because I LIKE my amps. Between the Road King and the MOD50, I have just about every sonic base covered that I could imagine. If I can capture those in one box, it would be awesome. I love the greater flexibility of the Axe-FX but I'm afraid it will be overkill for me. I like the option of more effects but probably won't use most of them. Quality of delays and reverbs is crucial, because those are the staple effects I use.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

I’m looking into checking out either the Axe-FX II or the Kemper KPA. I know there have been ad nauseum threads about these two products, and in many ways they aren’t even designed to do exactly the same thing. But most of those threads are not recent, and so don’t take into account the most recent features, firmware, accessories, and so forth. And they are my two finalists for what I’m looking for (which is, primarily, a portable solution containing the gist of most of my usable amp tones). So I need some advice.

Here’s what I’m NOT looking for: flaming, either direction. I believe both products are awesome and do what they are supposed to very well. I’m not looking for what’s wrong with either product, I’m more looking for which one may fit MY needs better.

So, a bit about me and my needs: I’m a simple player. I mostly use a couple of effects at any given time, and tend to rotate between 2-3 basic amp tones (clean, crunch, “searing lead”). I want those tones to be as amazing as possible, then I’ll add delay or compression or whatever. I’m a semi-professional player...that is, I make part of my income from music. I do occasional session work (mostly for local or regional acts) and I play in two regular gigging bands, an average of 6-8 times a month. My current amps: Egnater MOD50 with most of the modules and an Egnater oversized 112 cab, and a Mesa Boogie Road King with 212 Road King cab. Those are my main ones (I also have an Egnater Rebel 30 I use for rehearsal). Capturing the ranges of sounds from those two amps (which are many) is crucial.

Also of note is the fact that I’m basing most of my thoughts (below) on either hard data, or on AVAILABLE sound clips. I know these are not representative...I absolutely know that. However, you can get a semi-close idea of what something can do by audio/video clips. Most of the clean tones I’ve heard clips for are super affected, for some reason. There are VERY few clips that showcase simple, pure clean tone, for either device. So I have to take a bit of a guess with a few things like that.

Otherwise, here are my thoughts so far (keep in mind, these are not intended to be definitive statements of fact; they are simply my impressions based on what I’m looking for):

Overall Tone (amp-likeness): I believe this is a wash. I think each device sounds incredible, and can get very close to the tone of real tube amps.

Overdriven tone: I think the advantage here goes to the Axe-FX, based on the clips that I’ve heard.

Clean tone: I think the advantage here goes to the Kemper, again based on the clips that I’ve heard. Hard to find “pure” clean tones for either device though.

Amp “feel”: From what I’ve read, the advantage here goes to the Kemper, with numerous reviewers noting that the Kemper responds a bit more like a tube amp does. But this is fairly subjective, so what feels “right” to one person may be the opposite for another.

Flexibility: I believe it’s factual (not just opinion) to say that the Axe-FX is more flexible. It does more. In many ways this is a plus, as it makes the Axe-FX more future-proof. But in many ways it’s also a negative, as it’s way overkill for what I need. Simple = better for me, usually. So ultimately this is a wash for me.

Pedals: I like the MCF-101 better than the Kemper Remote. I think it looks more useful and more professional, and I FAR prefer the LEDs of the MCF-101. Being able to easily see settings in a semi-dark room (which is harder than in a completely dark room) is crucial, and it seems like the MCF-101 is better in this regard. I like the red/green/off scheme better than the multiple separate LEDs too. However, the Kemper Remote is smaller, and as far as I’m concerned the smaller the footprint, the better. Also, the MCF-101 is $150 more than the Remote. I also dislike that the tap tempo button on the MCF-101 is on the top. I’m sure I can manually set it to one of the first-row buttons, but that’s where it should be out of the box. So this ultimately ends up a wash too.

Support: I believe both companies have excellent customer service. However, I believe the Axe-FX gets more (and more regular) updates in terms of software and features. Plus they are in the US rather than overseas. However, the crazy shipping costs to buy the unit initially make me wary of having to send it in for any warranty support, as I don’t want to shell out nearly $80 (each way) each time I need support (I know this might be covered while under warranty, but the Axe-FX has a much shorter warranty than the Kemper as well...1 year vs. 3 years for the Kemper). So, another wash.

Software: I believe the Axe-FX has the edge here. But this isn’t a huge deal for me. I enjoy playing with it, but once I get things dialed in, it’s rare for me to change it up much.

Price: including the pedal for either, the Kemper ends up being about $500 cheaper. This isn’t the biggest deal in the world, but it certainly does matter. Also, the Kemper has free shipping, whereas the Axe-FX is like $80. It may seem silly, but that bothers me. The Axe-FX is already more expensive, then the crazy shipping costs on top of it. And they are US based...the Kemper has to (ultimately) cross an ocean!

Misc: the Kemper takes up 3 rack spaces. The Axe-FX (which does more) takes up 2, I believe. Slight advantage to the Axe-FX, but this is fairly minor. The Kemper takes a long time to boot up, whereas the Axe-FX is super quick. But I’ve read a lot of problems with folks upgrading the software in the Axe-FX and have to send away for something to get it up and running again.

At this point, I’m leaning toward the Kemper because 1. Less expensive (especially re: shipping), 2. Simpler, which may be better for what I need, and 3. More “amp-like feel” (though this is the one that may be the most subjective AND I have the most limited knowledge about). However, the biggest issue for me is tone. It trumps everything else. Clean tones are important for me, and I can’t get a good read on clean tones from either amp because of the lack of clips, and the fact that both seem more focused on high gain tones. Also, having it feel like a real tube amp is crucial, and the limited knowledge I have so far is that the Kemper has the SLIGHT edge with this. The greater flexibility of the Axe-FX and the fact that it’s more future proof is appealing, but ultimately I fear that the majority of its fancy features would go to waste. I enjoy playing around with that kind of thing, but in the end I’m a simple guy and end up going back to a few simple tones and then use effects to taste.

So (PLEASE without flaming or inciting fanboy arguments or bashing of your non-preferred product), what say you? What do you think would work better for my needs? Again, I’m not asking which you think is a better product for whatever reason, or which works better for you...which do you think would suit my needs better? PLEASE NOTE that I am looking for input from folks who preferably have owned both, or at the very least have had the opportunity to use each in real-world situations (i.e., not just, "I tried my buddy's once and it [sucked/rocked]"). Thanks.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any insight. And thanks for mature, thoughtful answers rather than flame wars.