Posts by mbrown3

Wow Mr Brown you sure are very technical in your thoughts. :)

True enough, lol. In the end, first-hand experience will be the deciding factor, but I like to make informed decisions.

Very often means a few times a year.
    Do you want a head to head between how many updates on the Kemper VS the Axe-FX?

Nope. I just wanted to know if the product is consistently updated (I have no reservations about this now).

I have full time professional session guitarist studio owner clients who have had their Kempers for 3 years and don't even know how to do an update....why?, because the Kemper doesn't need an update, it sounds the same today as it did in January 2012.

I understand what you're saying, but the Fractal folks say the Axe sounds better than it did when it was released. One could look at that as, "it didn't sound very good to begin with", or as "they've improved a good product even more." I'm not saying one product is better than the other, just saying sometimes the things people claim as strengths or weaknesses are relative to perspective.

You don't need any of us to confirm this for you. Just go to the Profiler downloads page:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html

You can plot the dates in a spreadsheet if it makes you feel better!

That would be a pretty short spreadsheet. There are only two firmware updates listed. Still, they are today, and the last one was 12/12/14...not too bad. Every few months is fine, if that's a consistent pattern (I realize today is a beta update, but still).

EDIT: now I see what alwainwright was talking about with "older operating system versions". Based on those dates, I have no problems with the update frequency. How often did those include effects improvements? (This is probably in the release notes, but I don't want to read through all of them...not looking for an exact number, just a general feel for whether that's a consistent focus).

So, an honest question seeking a truly honest answer: how often does Kemper put out updates to firmware/software? I know many here see Fractal's frequent firmware updates as a negative, but I see it as a good thing; updating and expanding features (especially based on user feedback). If there is the possibility of effects being improved over time, I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of time frame to expect. If we're looking at "the last update was two years ago, so maybe within the next couple of years", that will make a big difference over "about every six months" (or whatever). Also, have improved effects been promised? Or are they at least expected?

I'd also note that we don't really need the Profiler to exactly mimic a knob's work: a good example to me is the Green Screamer. What matters most IMO is that you can get all the possible values, if they correspond to a different knob position or not is way secondary to me.
    Many controls on the Profiler exceed the original specs (such as the GS's gain control, or the main Gain knob itself); while this might initially cause some puzzlement, I by far prefer to have the possibility to go over the original amp if I want\need to :)

This is what I was saying earlier when I said some folks have mentioned how the Kemper, once you start tweaking beyond minor adjustments, no longer sounds entirely accurate to the original amp. Some folks took exception to that (though I was just repeating what KPA users said; I have no first-hand experience until later this week), but I didn't mean it in a negative way. Nor, do I believe, did they...they said it doesn't sound bad, just not 100% accurate (and, in fact, often does sound excellent or even better than the original). Or, maybe a better way of putting it is, the farther away you move the knobs from the captured profile, the farther away it gets from 100% accuracy of the original amp. But that's not a bad thing, because often the KPA can do things that the original couldn't do, and maybe the result is better than what the original amp can do. I see that as a strength, not a weakness, and never intended it as a critique. People can get a little sensitive/defensive when there's any remote possibility that something can be taken in a negative way...human nature, I guess.

Every forum will likely have a small handful of users who cross the line and use personal insults but here it's very rare, just search the forum and see. Many here are also members of the fractal forum and experience a significant difference between the two forums and mostly how the aggression from the fractal staff fuels and inspires many users to do the same. It's a psychological effect that works from the top down and that can also be seen in work environments where an aggressive culture is nurtured.
    You have been a member of the fractal forum since 2008, but maybe not very active to have noticed it yet. Have a look on many other forums to see that the aggresive culture and censorship on the fractal forum is not very popular.

True enough. I wasn't even aware that I had been a member at Fractal until I tried to join a couple of weeks ago and found out I already had an account. I must have gotten on to check it out at one point, and then lost interest. But you're right that the staff can set the tone for users.

That being said, I haven't found anyone from Kemper here fueling any fires, and that hasn't stopped jokers like Inthrutheout from trolling. And I'll reiterate what I've said before: at the very least since I've been (actively) participating on the Fractal forums, Cliff hasn't done anything to fuel any fires there either. On the contrary, he tried to curb a couple of the members there from acting...well, like Inthrutheout. I'm not saying I don't believe what you all are saying has gone on; just that I haven't experienced it. And I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in cases where I haven't seen the same thing first-hand. I'll do the same thing here for the Kemper folks (and most of the users here).

Point being, trolls are gonna troll no matter what the company does. Unless they are pretty aggressive in curbing it, it's going to happen regardless of what tone they set.

So I guess you couldn't get the ignore function to work either, huh?

You should probably do a little research yourself...read up on what the term "troll" means. I think most here would agree the term is actually a lot more applicable to...not me.

You throw the biggest insult, "obnoxious trolling adolescents" and then tell the guy not to insult folk.

This is all super annoying, and yes, obnoxious. But to be fair, I don't think anyone would agree with you that "obnoxious trolling adolescents" is a bigger insult than "d!ickhead". I think that's what sparked more of this than anything else.

For all the talk about the Fractal forums, this turns out not to be all that different. And just like over there (or anywhere else) it's usually one or two people that are the culprits and make it unpleasant for everyone else (and reflect poorly on the entire community).

This is exactly what I was going to say (except the "close this thread" part, lol)...it seems like a few folks are doing the same things about Cliff that they accuse him of doing. I very much did not want this thread to veer into that territory. For all of those that have posted helpful info, thanks...keep it up. For those that want to complain about the competing product/company, please refrain.

Amazing isn't it, in 2011/12/13/ they told us how much better the AXE was than the Kemper, now we're told by the man himself that up to 2014 the Kemper was better than the AXE. :)

I actually thought that was a classy post from Cliff. He didn't bash the Kemper at all (in fact complimented it) and acknowledged his bias. Again, I'm not factoring in past history, because I have no first-hand experience with it. So far, my experience with him has been good.

Actually, being balanced (i.e., citing the pros and cons in a fair manner) is the definition of unbiased.

Well, I think the manual states it well but is a bit less clear about it. Think about it, if it was a snapshot per dialed in sound you'd have to profile a million possible sounds and settings. :) the KPA has a memory limit on how many profiles it can hold within its memory but of course you can keep millions on your computer and upload them via rig manager

Well...yeah, that's kind of how I thought it worked. I figured I'd have to capture a profile for every overdriven and clean sound I want. I mean, the truth is, most people get a channel set to where they want it and rarely make many (non minor) changes to it. So this isn't really that big of a deal. The only times I drastically change settings is when I change between guitars or add effects pedals, etc. Usually I just fine-tune based on the space I'm in. But if it doesn't work that way, I'm glad to hear it.