Posts by karlic

I was wondering about this too. Are there any good acoustic simulator profiles out there? Can it be done? I keep a Boss AC-3 on my board but I'm always looking for a way to carry one less pedal...

I found these free profiles quite useful while waiting for the Kemper acoustic sim due in the next release:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I live in the UK and have never heard of the dealer before. If you are already spending around £1,400, it might be worth going with someone you trust for the little you might save. I doubt you would have the 30 days return policy and it might be more complicated if something went wrong.

Thomann also are little cheaper, but UK exchange rates complicate things with the pound constantly changing right now.

Not officially but as i can't see the Kemper stage to be launched without an editor, the official announcement of the Kemper stage on the 24th = release date of the editor. (may be available few days later when the first buyers will receive their units)

I wouldn't bank on that. It looks just as editable from the front panel as the other Kempers.

A lot of gain profiles are quite bright and work in a mix, but sound too much alone. Try the Michael Britt free profiles to see if they help. His sounds are a lot darker than most and might suit you. A least it will help you see if the unit is faulty or not.

Whenever I get some new gear, it is best to let the dust settle before worrying too much. The warranty if active for quite a while longer.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, although I didn't know about these techniques. I think most of us work more in home-studios than in top-of-the-notch studios who can afford the time to do these things. When you can afford A/D converters of 2000 bucks (I worked in a studio once that had these), it's a different story of course. In home-studio, I think it's more convenient, as Bryan Daste said, to use the S/PDIF direct out.

You should be quite safe with converters at considerably less expense. Just remember that guitar signals do not contain a huge frequency range as a DI signal and are quite robust. In fact you can even have bad edits and clicks all over the place and happily reamp a great guitar track.

There are more gains to be made in looking for a great amp profile!

I don’t know the answer but I saw a Rick Beato video the other night where he was discussing a time when he had dinner with Journey’s keyboard player and asked what Neil had used to record the solo on Don’t Stop Believing. Apparently it was a Roland Cube ? Some folk can obviously get a great sound out of anything ?

He talks about it being a modified Blackface Deluxe in the video. The seventies were a difficult time to remember details:-)

I am actually working on a comparison of my profiles, but I have limited methods and time to execute them, so I can’t readily do so at the exact moment. For my band’s album, I made profiles of all the reamped tones to make that comparison under the same environment.

Regardless, the things I brought up aren’t new. They’ve been discussed and demonstrated in many past threads and a couple years ago it especially reached a fever pitch where most participants were either banned or chased from the forum.

Not sure what I’m doing to troll. I’ve not been unreasonable or insulting, nor have I engaged in any hostility. What purpose would there be in it? What would I stand to gain from wasting time trolling over something as simple as a guitar amp?

I didn't have you down for a troll, but sometimes it seems like people are demanding a lot from a small company trying to get our latest update through with an editor.

What about simply putting your phone up and recording the process you use for profiling. Maybe there is an easy mistake to spot and this would help many people. Whenever a profile has not sounded right, I have been back a few times and worked out the issue. Only direct profiles are less accurate for me.

Also I generally ignore the refining process and only try that if the profile doesn't come up to scratch.

I still didn't quite get the use of the dry signal Blackstar skipping through a lengthy video. He does get an almost over saturated sound in the clip about 24.20 and it sounds more modeller than amp.

He probably gets through a lot of cling film on tour too!

Looking back at the video in the original post, what strikes me the most is the reference to piracy, which opens up the whole can of worms on the morals of profiling amps. That youtube guy, EytschPi42, went on a similar train of thought a few years ago.

Being as a cabinet often contributes more of the tone than an amp, do amplifier manufacturers owe something to the speaker. The argument has gone on ever since samplers were supposed to put classical musicians out of work.