Posts by karlic

Are you experiencing the slow program change in Browser mode or Performance mode? I believe Browser mode always has a delay but I thought Performance mode was supposed to be seamless whether from Remote or midi PC.

Using browser mode, as I have over 60 live rigs selected from a computer. You can program for the latency, but occasionally it might run slower in places.

To be fair it is probably where there are a few patch changes in succession. I have a silent rig and that comes up whenever I am not playing.

With performance mid arranged in banks it looks like something for people using pedal boards.

The Kemper is relatively slow in program change from Pro Tools that we use live compared to The Rocktron Prophesy I used before. It is not a problem and generally needs 3/16ths ahead of the beat depending on the tempo.

I did notice occasional inconsistency and a longer latency for a patch change. Nobody else has complained though, so maybe I need to look at my session in Pro Tools. I am using cc too, so it could be an overload of info?

I'd say it was the reverb that loses more when you are in mono. For years I used the Kemper live in mono and have very little use for reverb. Since switching to stereo for shows, I am a lot more interested in the benefit of reverbs on a few patches.

Latency is most noticeable on clean sounds where the transient is strong. I use it regularly for a couple of songs live. I already have to carry 2 guitars with different tunings and this feature saves a third!

Would still love a little more efficiency in the code if there is any more wriggle room?

This always sounds imbalanced for me with one side dominating, so I tried the Kemper Stereo Widener eq effect. It enhances some frequencies on one side, while subtracting the same on the other side. As an idea it is great because it sums well to mono in difficult live situations. However, it gives me that imbalance in the in ears again. Both effects make it sound like the guitar is louder on one side.

If I wasn't using the effects loop, a TC Mimiq would be perfect. In the end I compromise with a version of the delay above, but retain the centre direct signal for now. It is balanced, but adds a little extra width:

Mix - 50/100
    Delay Time 1 15ms
    Delay Time 2 30ms
    Delay Balance 0
    Feedback 0

A 1u version for portability that links to an iPad or phone for the screen work. Still with all the connections though.

Most of my rack looks empty inside, so the size must be to accommodate the screen.

The only problem with the rig transpose is that you don't have smooth chords for some reason. For that it is necessary to use it in the stomp slot still.

After the stack section, but try and look at an analyser to see exactly where the problem is. Alternatively boost somewhere near the frequency an then move up and down the spectrum until you hear where you need to cut.

Only downsides I discovered were -

1. Needed a lot more delay in the mix - 50% didn't cut it

2. The remote footswitches are very very close together...!

the delay always sound quite strong in isolation and then disappears in the mix. I have been constantly edging the percentage up every time I hear a live recording.

The Kemper works just like the Drop pedal. I have used both, but not side by side to compare. In a recent system update the latency was considerably reduced and made the transpose feature useable live for me.

The downside for both The Drop and Kemper transpose is when playing clean sounds. Somehow the latency is a lot more noticeable because the transient is clear.

I've given up trying the delay for width live. I noticed the comb filtering effect ruins tone and you cannot guarantee on pa quality in clubs is consistent. Often wiring is out of phase or engineers may mix you less than full stereo and there is a problem.

The Kemper widener under eq effects seems to be the safest way to go for now. It boost frequencies one side and cuts the same frequency the other to create width. Of course, when summed to mono there is no damage to the tone.