Posts by Monkey_Man

Most peeps know Vinnie and Nathan are legends, but for me it's Greg Phillinganes who's the real legend.

Dude played for Stevie Wonder at 19 in 1975 and continued to play all the parts Stevie didn't have the chops for. Was The Jacksons' musical director for ages and oversaw Michael's Bad and Dangerous tours. Played for every man and his dog through the years (even Toto) and has a terrific sense of humour.

I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fan.

Just got a Stage to replace my PodHD500. Should have done this a long timer ago.

I did the same thing and felt the same way mate.

Took me 2 years to dial the scratchiness out of my POD HD. The back and head aches lasted 3 months beyond that. :D

Well-done and enjoy the fruits of your "brave" decision!

Thanks, good advice. I’ll try further back than I am normally (between 1-2ft) and hope the untreated space doesn’t get too noticeable.

My pleasure brother.

2ft should be plenty.

The extra "air" around your voice will help it to sit in a mix without its poking too-far forward too.

I kid you not Brother Mud, but this has much of the vibe, feel and sound of a track from the Ensoniq DP/4 demo CD from the '90s.

Cool CD that one. Had a bunch of big names on it and a great variety of tracks.

My voice never builds body as I go louder, in effect I have the dubious ability to include more or less room by moving closer and further from the mic with no real change in tone or recorded level unless I'm so close there's proximity effect.

IMHO you don't want body anyway brother; it's what's made your voice sound amateurish in-the-mix when you first started out on this journey... IMHO.

I've been meaning to say this for a long time, so if I haven't already, try backing off from the mic when you're recording. It'll sit better in the mix / feel less disjointed / sound more pro IMHO.

I'm sure I would've mentioned maybe high-passing it more previously, but IMHO it's better to start with this "naturally-thinned" source material before the HPF.

When someone sings or speaks to you, he or she doesn't typically do so in-your-ear, so we're used to hearing a naturally-thinned signal. This is one reason FM DJ's voices annoy me - they crank the bass up and sound like they're practically swallowing their mic's. Way too much bass. Far from natural.

I can hear you being a little more agressive on your vocals which is great!

Indeed.

Per's "singing out" in that one as opposed to virtually "whispering", the habit peeps get into when they sing whilst trying to avoid being overheard / disturbing someone.

Well-done Per! :thumbup:

Simon Phillips is the most unlikely looking rock drummer but he is brilliant...

... and far from just being a rock drummer.

Can play "all styles" with aplomb and is an engineer, mastering engineer & producer too.

Simon is a monster rock drummer for sure. I had tickets to see Toto at Manchester Apollo on the tour when Jeff Porcaro died. Went along not knowing what to expect and witnessed Simon Phillips rocking out big style. DisaI never got to see Jeff live but not disappointed at seeing Simon that’s for sure 🤘

I saw him on his first tour with Toto back in the late '80s in Melbourne.

It was just after Jeff died but they're pro's so the tour wasn't cancelled; they brought Simon in instead.

Wow, lot of energy drinks needed to keep that pace for almost 5 minutes..Tight timing

Edit: they are even in the Kemper camp, didn't know it

Their energy is incredible and they pull it off live too.

Yeah, I'm sure I've posted a Kemper-spotting thread featuring them at some point.

I'm going to bet the timing was all in the DAW and not in the hand. ;)

No. They kill it live and have been around and doing it for years. Pop, funk, EDM, metal. Accomplished multi-instrumentalists and all sing lead vox too.

New track released yesterday:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another new one from this year:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Live track from 2 months ago:

10 years ago:

Metal / EDM track:

Good gig:

Cool EDM track from 12 years ago: