Posts by sercho

Hey! I forgot about that one, it's a nice alternative to the Official one! I am not permanently gigging atm, but there's times of the year when I have two or three gigs a month, I think I'll get something more protective for the KPA.

Thanks, Markus.

Actually that flightcase is my main option, besides the flyth pro hardcase. The main con is having to carry an extra bag for the remote+pedal, but I might end up with this solution.

I use a Pelican case 1610 - fits the toaster, remote, and cables all nicely with the custom pick/pluck foam inserts. And its on wheels! Pelican cases are waterproof and a staple of the industry. Definitely my top pick.

Yeah, Pelis are awesome but I want to stay within a budget, so not an option ATM for me. But thanks for the input!

You might have the only non-modded 800 in Spain! MOD THAT PUPPY! haha! Then you'll be allowed to keep her (and profile it for us, plus some columbian coffee on the side while I'm being all demanding of your services!)

Hahaha nice one, I can trick myself now to have an excuse not to sell it!

@sercho

Since you come from the JCM-800 I would honestly sugget to get yourself the DXR.The EV has definitly a mid-scooped kind of thing and has sure its advantages if you want a more "detailed" sound when playing also at low volumes.The DXR can easily handle "rock"-profiles like any JCM800/marshall type of things.Actually it is very good doing these..

Thank you!! This is very helpful, much aprreciated. I don't want to narrow my sound to only rock, though. I assume the DXR can handle successfully wider range of sounds as well? (yeah I'll play mostly hard rock but some southern/country as well and eventually some hi-gain stuff)

Yes.You can find them easily.But still it depends on how good they sound.I played "millions" of JCM800s..2203s,2204s,2205s,2206s etc..many sounded like &%$§,most sounded "good" and a few sounded so great (mostly 2204s) that you might try to find a way how to steal them because the owner will never sell it..ask Slash for this matter..
    If it is a "special" marshall I would not sell it.

Well I'm not an expert in 800, I've played a lot with an old JMPbefore I bought the 800 (sounded great, a pity it wasn't mine), but I have come to like my 800 better. I'll make some research to find out the details of my amp (exact model, etc.). Thanks anyway!!

Hello!

As I'm planning to switch my giggin' rig to KPA (only home studio before) I'm trying to decide which bag or case is better for me; I'm making this thread to summarize and to have my options organized, and so you guys cand tell me your opinion on these, I'm sure lots of Kemperians have used several of these (mainly the official bag and thomann's flightcases), so please leave your comments below!; This might also be useful in the future for those in my current situation.

Ideally I'd like the toaster, the remote and an expression pedal plus some cabling to fit in there

This is one of my favourites:
    [Blocked Image: https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/330507/8092837_800.jpg]

https://www.thomann.de/es/stairville_wp_safe_box_5_ip65.htm

Costs 73€; inner measurements looking nice: 485 x 355 x 186 mm. The 186mm might be a little tight (KPA is 173 and you have to add the foam), but i reckon it should be OK.

Pros:

• High protection
    • Compact
    • Seems to have room for the KPA+remote+expression pedal + cabling, depending on the size of your pedal.
    • Inexpensive (IMHO)

Cons:

• Those 186mm might be a lil tight for the base of the KPA + foam to fit easily, and looks like you maybe should have to angle the remote a bit as well (it's 180mm)

Next one looks quite nice for the price!
    [Blocked Image: http://cdns3.gear4music.com/media/6/60767/1200/preview.jpg]

http://www.gear4music.com/Wood…y-Gear4music/L2E#full-des

It costs 30 UK Pounds (35€) and measurements are 533 x 279 x 177 mm. BUT they don't specify if those are inner measurements or not.

Pros:

• Quite affordable
    • Seems quite handy and comfortable to carry
    • Light
    • Inner padding looks appropriate
    • Some extra pockets for cabling, etc,

Cons:

• Unless we find our wether those are inner measurements or not, I wouldn't take the risk.
    • Not as resistant as a hard case, obviously

Next one seems a good option as well:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.chamberlainmusic.co…TP-315.jpg?v=201609261817]

[Blocked Image: http://www.tomandwill.com/imag…TP-315.jpg?v=201609261100]

http://www.tomandwill.com/prod…l.asp?productid=26DTP-315

Costing 107 UK pounds (125€), its inner measurements are 57.5cm x 23.5cm x 21cm.

Pros:

• Seems to be good quality (comments in their web confirm this)
    • Inner padding seems to be adaptable to whatever you want to put inside.
    • Several pockets and carrying options (even backpack!)
    • Not being a hard case makes it more likely to be able to hold KPA+remote+volume pedal+cabling, given its measurements (seems a bit tight but might be able to expand a tad without compromising the zippers durability)
    • Light

Cons:

• Kinda large for a soft case, but as long as everything fits in there...
    • Not so durable as a hard case
    • A bit pricey for a soft bag
    • Might be a bit tight for holding the KPA+remote inside (would be great if anyone could provide the official Kemper gigbag's inner measurements to compare!)

And then we have the well-known bag from Kemper, and Thomann's flightcases:

The bag: A bit pricey (85€) for what it offers (IMHO), seems to be lacking some durability, specially in some parts. On the other hand, you can put in there the KPA + the remote (maybe a volume pedal fits as well in one of the pockets?), and it comes in a beautiful Kemperish green :D
    https://www.thomann.de/es/kemp…htm?ref=prod_rel_278881_1

The big flightcase: This one is expensive (222€), and bigger than I'd personally like, but it's designed for the profiler+remote.
    https://www.thomann.de/es/thon…emper+flightcase_366653_0

The small flightcase: This is compact and sturdy, maybe the best protection for the KPA; not very expensive (133€) for a flightcase, but you'll need some extra bags to carry the remote and the expresion pedal...
    https://www.thomann.de/es/thon…emper+flightcase_278881_1

So guys, any expreience with any of these or similar ones?
    (there are also a lot of videography/photography bags but the ones big enough to put the KPA+remote+pedal inside seemed too expensive to me...)

Which of these would you reccomend?

Thank you!

Hola!

By dead silent you mean zero noises / hiss? that's a good point. Thanks for the input, I definitely want to go FRFR, because though I mostly play hard rock and so, I love some good and healthy metal headbanging every now and then :D . BTW, I assume you're spanish: you live near madrid?
    Regarding the bag, I don't really like the kemper bag: apart from the weak clip issues @skoczy pointed out, it doesn't look very sturdy to me... The only pro I see, is the nice green Kemperish color :P and the remote fitting in there with the KPA itself. I think I'll look for a nice videography bag such as these:

https://es.aliexpress.com/stor…=2114.12010612.0.0.d6PnVX
    https://es.aliexpress.com/stor…=2114.12010612.0.0.d6PnVX

I know they're as pricey as the official bag, but they look really nice and rugged to me.

Hi Sercho,
    i have sold my jcm 800 top and one red 4x12 marshall years ago (1995). I have teardrops in my eyes when i see the prices for that stuff from the late 80th today.

If you didnt need the money yet sell it in 20 years

I don't really need the money but I have to justify stuff to my wife, hehee... I mostly need room :D , TBH I don't want to store stuff I ain't using... anyway I bought my 800 about 5 years ago, so I don't think price is gonna rise too much actually.

I kept my Jubilee, sold an extra cabinets and all external effects other than a Talkbox. The Jub is my backup.

I use a DXR10. I compared it to the EV and the DXR sounded a bit smoother. But, you may prefer the EV's price.

Hmmm I imagined something like that, I guess I'm gonna have to test both units and see if the sound is worth the price difference or I can live with it... I guess I might go for the yamaha, you know sometimes I'm sure I'm gonna have to use it in smaller venues not as a monitor but also for the audience to hear the guitar... in medium - big stages I wouldn't mind that much to sacrifice a bit of the sound quality (all in all it's only for me to hear myself in that scenario) and save some bucks, but...

Thank you all guys!

I don't know if I'll regret it but I'm seriously thinking about selling my JCM800 and my 4x10 cab, along with a bunch of pedals...

I bought my KPA (toaster version) to use it at my home studio but after a while using it every now and then in the rehearsal room and also in some gigs the idea of switching my live rig to digital crossed my mind a few times (less weight and volume of equipment, easier setup, great, sound...). But since I updated the firmware to the latest beta and was blown away by the possibilities of the new delays + morphing, I am seriously considering the idea.

Therefore, I reckon if I want to do it right I have to spend some €uros and get me:

• A nice but inexpensive FRFR speaker (no clue about this, but read good stuff about the Yamaha DXR10, and EV... any experiences?). In the rehearsal room I used an ALTO speaker I borrowed from my drummer. It did the job, but it was HARSH AF. In the gigs I used my marshall 4x10 cab with a linear amp, and cab off in the kemper, but whilst sounding nicely, I kinda feel I'm losing the advantage of not carrying so much stuff around, so...

Regarding this, anyone has tried both the DXR10 and the DBR10? Sound-wise, is there a big difference? What about the EV ZLX-12p (active speaker)? any experiences with this one?

• The Remote. Looks like it's a no brainer if you want to use the kemper live. I've been using an old MIDI conotroller but there's lots of stuff I can't do with it.
    • A nice and sturdy Bag (photo-videography bag?) OR a proper flightcase to keep the KPA safe when gigging and so.

If I sold the JCM800 and the cab I'd only have to add some extra money to get it all...

What do you think, guys? What advice would you give? (apart from profiling the 800 before selling, hehe) :thumbup:

I can definitely hear that 'wind tunnel' in the clips you posted, and after having read all the thread (promise!), I also reckon it's all about gain structure, though I personally think some cab+mic positioning combinations can surely make the noise more present.

I also think in many cases that noise can be lessened through some EQing and masking it in the mix. I agree with the people suggesting heavy high-pass filtering: guitars may sound thin in an isolated track, but the mix will be much clearer (even if you didn't have that noise in the original track).

Best thing to do anyway, seems to spend some time dialing porperly the preamp and master settings in the real amp to minimize the noise as @schreckmusic successfully did, but maybe you have this profile you love and want to use but it has some of this 'wind-tunnel thing' in it: you'll have to find a way to make it less noticeable if you want to use it.

I mostly play low-gain stuff, but I sometimes play also high gain. Hardly ever mid-gain, so I hope I don't begin to hear that 'wind tunnel' everywhere :D !

And last but not least, @Cederick, mate, seriously: You should work on the way you deal with stuff, the way you express yourself and the way you treat people makes people not eager at all to help. To me it seems a miracle you found a solution to this, taking into account your 'social skills'. Being this an online forum doesn't mean we have to behave the way you do, behind the forum users there's people, and they've been trying to help from the beggining. You should be very thankful to @schreckmusic and his patience...

you are wrong. warranty starts on the date the unit was sold first (so keep you receipt)

This.

I was able to use the warranty from a used Kemper (mine is second-handed). Had to send it to Germany and had 0 problems.

Oh sorry, my fault. I didn't get it at first and thought it was just a simple "grammar" typo. :P
    Thanks for the replies.

Hahaha dammit no, you were acutally right, I wrote it the other way around!! :D:whistling:
    @Monkey_Man holds my intelligence in high esteem, and though that's my kind of dumb humour anyway, in this case I was the dumb one, not my humour. ;)