Posts by flyingheelhook

Off topic: its refreshing and inspiring to read dialogue from someone who can put forth a competent argument against multiple opponents. Its even more inspiring to see that its a woman, holding her own against a bunch of men. (not that any of them crossed any lines, I am not implying that) I don't necessarily agree (or disagree for that matter), with any of the arguments presented, but I do admire style, finesse, and the ability to remain unflappable in the face of multiple points of opposition. Rock on stormhenge 8)

Probably that is your goal. But mine is to have fun. And some times I have more fun just searching for tones or tweaking than just playing and playing to improve my skills as a musician.

And also, knowing how to get different sounds makes you a better musician. Not only playing your instrument.

I wouldn't say that either goal is mutually exclusive. I know that as I improve as a musician, I have more fun when I play, especially when I play with musicians who have an ear and are listening and responding to what I am playing. It also opens doors when musicians whom I respect, hear me play, and say they would like to collaborate some time. I too have had fun chasing tone and 'the perfect rig', but that has grown tedious for me as I recognize what is of value (to me), and what is not. While I have had plenty of people compliment my tone using both the Kemper and my tube amp, I definitely enjoy the compliments to my playing more. Again, YMMV.

I've owned my Kemper Toaster for over five years. Yes, its an awesome, versatile piece of equipment, but the rabbit hole is very, very deep, and every update and new feature adds to that complexity. In retrospect, all of that time I have spent chasing the rabbit could have been much better spent. I will keep it around, but I also have a small tube amp set up for the current COVID socially-distanced outdoor gigs, and quite frankly, after A/B testing, its a lot easier using that rig than the Kemper. I'll still use the Kemper for gigs with a dedicated sound guy (if those ever happen again), but for any gig where we/I am running our own sound, no. Lastly, I recommend to all that you don't lose sight of the real goal: being a better musician. If the equipment distracts you from that, you might want to reconsider. Your experience may vary, but I really do wonder how much of a better musician I might be today, if I spent even half the time I spent on the Kemper just practicing with a metronome.

Unless I'm missing something, the one improvement I'd like ASAP is when you've loaded a preset for Kemper Drive, the preset name you used is nowhere to be found. Meaning - if I load a Klon preset and come back to that rig in the future - I can't see what 'pedal' that specific Kemper Drive is set to (or started out as before editing).

I gave up on asking for this years ago.

Like the idiot I am , I forgot to make a backup before I upgraded... I love the new drives, but as far as I can tell, something has changed as some of my auto-wahs now sound like complete dog poop. Hopefully its something on my end... will try to investigate and report back when I can.

I had a very similar issue - when tuning the E string it was showing A# - I doublechecked with my cell phone app and my guitar E string was just a few cents off E. I rebooted and it went away.

Curiosity question...

How important is knowing what amp is being profiled? Is it vital to know what amp is making the sound you are hearing or is just hearing a great sound enough? I mean, most profilers already change the names so as not to infringe on copyrights. Is it just in the "knowing" the amp brand/model or do you just listen to the tone with no care about what amp it is?

I think there is a placebo effect for some people, including myself.

*Technically* it doesn't have to be an expression pedal. You could use an insert cable and it would work. "Work" being a rather loose term since pedal throw will do nothing for most of it's range and then THERE IT IS!!!

Interesting - I am not sure how useful that might be, and to be fair and honest, I never tried it and I was going off memory of what I *thought* is in the manual, but hell, give it a go! If you can get anything to work in a manner that you find useful, I say go for it. I'm certainly no purist.

Just FYI follow up: I haven't touched my Kemper since powering it off and submitting the ticket after discovering this issue. Today, I powered on and it is functioning properly and the Reference Pitch is correctly set at 440. Chalk it up to a beta I guess, but I will continue to monitor and submit ticket(s) if I notice anything.

I also never use Beta's for live, just not worth it.

I have for the first time used this beta and to be honest had no issues, but yeah, why risk it.

I have taken that chance in the past when I was able to determine that they were relatively stable, but these days? not feeling that confident with what I am seeing.

Is your reference value set correctly?

I am not sure what you mean - I have NEVER changed a reference value intentionally? My assumption has always been that there was never anything I needed to do with the tuner - and I have never touched a tuner parameter in five years of owning the Kemper. So, if the update changed that parameter, that shouldn't happen, correct?