Posts by Paul LaPlaca

Hey-

I put together a short video showcasing the KPA and how I went about programming it for my first show.

I'm probably going to be tweaking those sounds for a while but for most of them I would say I got within 80-90% of the sounds that were on the record we were re-creating.

Without a doubt, this has been the most enjoyable experience I have had with any kind of musical equipment, amp, effect or processor.

In the past I have had to struggle for days and weeks to get a sound even remotely close to what was recorded and there was always a compromise, always something missing.

Not anymore!

Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/qR5wQcR5AhM

Pros and Cons?

I am looking to put together a demo video in Premiere, trying to figure out the best workflow.

Will end up on Youtube so is it a moot point to over think the sampling rate?

Record at 44.1k dig and them convert to 48k for video?

Record at highest rate possible, analog in, downgrade to 48k for the edit?

This is not a difficult problem. It's just a matter of will power.

I think it's a matter of consistent and intelligently voiced demand, I am brand new to this and I am sure there are long time users who have similar interests and need. Just have to debate and discuss what works best for everyone.

I think there should be a separate area on RE or some other solution with serious protections in place so there is no theft or abuse.

What if there was a limit to the amount of rigs per song title and you had to hit a certain ranking to stay on the list? Say 10 rigs for Eruption? That should be more than enough to choose from and would keep things under control.

I still think of it like tabs on Ultimate Guitar, the ones with the highest rankings rise to the top.

If you are a shitty programmer and your uploads don't get any notice, you'll eventually give up or get better.

I think natural selection would keep the numbers down and the quality of the highest ranked rigs would be outstanding.

I think I understand the concept of just having the amp profiles up in one place. There are so many to begin with and I get it, that this is about capturing all of those glorious hard to find and hard to afford amps.

I'm suggesting there is a separate place to share edits of those amps and FX for a song patch library.

Any ideas on how to do this and protect authors and commercial rigs?

Sarcasm? ;) That's what the winky guy is for.

Let me be clear- I have no desire or intention to use anyone's pofiles without permission or share commercial profiles in any way, shape or form.

That's why my initial suggestion is to have this go through the rig exchange in some way so there is some way to police it.

Just kicking ideas around.

What about a peer to peer network of some kind where everyone has a shared plublic folder?

Kempster?

Again, I am not advocating in any way using commercial profiles, or using anyone's work without permission, just taking what is already publically shared and available and organizing a database of rigs and profiles modified for specific songs.

I totally get that that's why I'm suggesting a separate section of the exchange to just handle rigs that are dialed in for a specific song.

I would love to have a choice of 5-10 rigs for "Summer of '69" or any other song I have 2 days to learn.

Sort of like Ultimate Guitar for tabs, a Rig Library for songs.

I think we are missing out on a completely different level of creating and sharing Kemper sounds.

What if there was a section on the rig exchange, "Gig Exchange" maybe?

You would only be able to post your edits on factory rigs or your own profiles?

As a gigging musician in cover/ wedding type bands I often get huge set lists to learn in a very short period of time.

Having a communal library of rigs or programs that have been fine tuned for specific songs would be amazing.

I would be more than happy to contribute my own work as well.

Thank you, very good to know.

I'm still new to the concept and idea of the profile being a serious piece of work and effort.

Is there a flag or tag in rigs that can't be shared?

How do I go about contacting and getting permission from authors on rigs that can be? Say I find a rig I like and tweak it for Cliffs of Dover, I would love to share it. Also, what about performances? I'm itching to tackle Spirit of Radio or Changes.

Forgive me for being slow in understanding this, I just want to do some knob twisting and share.

Ok, one live gig under my belt and enjoying the benefits of being able to hit a stomp instead if recalling a complete new rig where in the past something as simple as adding a chorus effect on the chorus needed a new patch.

My biggest problems though are in navigating through the rigs. It's pretty cool to be able to have an individual performance for each song but truthfully I am 20 yrs. + into thinking in terms of 60. Is my clean dry, 61clean chorus rev, 64 lead del, etc.

I think I am going to have to get a MIDI controler with the big segmented display to really see thiese performance numbers and create one or two banks of 10 basic performances that will cover my bread and butter sounds then program a handful of special case scenarios.

I think the Kemper controller is great but would love to see a double version with a standard bank up and down and room for 10 performances. Double size display for old men like me (I can't see so good!) and red segmented LEDs for rig/ performances.

Sorry to post here, I still haven't gotten around to registering yet.

I'm wondering about conventions and ettiquette.

I feel like the exchange could be a great resource to share rigs with fx that are dialed in for specific songs but I'm not seeing a lot of song titles. For instance there is only one Eruption and no Cliffs of Dover.

Am I missing something? Like would song titles end up in a tag and I'm not searching properly?

Also, if I tweek a rig and want to share it I feel obligated to credit whoever did the original profile.

What is the general rule of thumb for all this?

Can you believe I made the same mistake in reverse this time?

Now that I have the rack mount version instead of the lunchbox that was mistakenly sent out, I've put it in with the rest of my gear. Set it up with a power amp and hooked it up to my Marshall 4x12, plugged into the rig exchange and was looking forward to having my mind blown. Instead, it was rig after rig of meh. Turns out I had the cab simulator ON for every rig in the mon output. SMH.

Tonight, finally I sit down to explore a bit. Already found a Chameleon starter and very close to dialing in my old lead tone.

Fun. ;)

I did!

Fantastic stuff.

Here is the set list, we ran out of time and had to cut a few towards the end;

• THOR OPENING 2016 by THOR
    • Keep the Dogs Away by THOR in A
    • Sleeping Giant by THOR in
    • Catch a Tiger by THOR in C
    • I'm So Proud by THOR
    • Tell me Lies by THOR in C
    • Military Matters by THOR in
    • Superhero by THOR in F
    • Wasted by THOR in C
    • ROSIE by THOR in C
    • THUNDER by THOR in A
    • Mushroom World by THOR in
    • HEAL by THOR GRAFFITI CANNON in D
    • New York Energy City by Lauren Fabio THOR in C
    • Everybody Needs A Hero by THOR in C
    • Lightning Strikes by THOR
    • Anger by THOR
    • Ride Of The Chariots by THOR in A
    • Unchained by THOR in C
    • Electric Eyes by THOR in B
    • Thunder On The Tundra by Summoned by the godess
    • Warriors of the Universe by THOR
    • Ragnarok by THOR

Hey Jim-

Here is the info from this past show, taken from the show page "THOR A Rock Odyssey Live In NY" on FB:

Christopher Totaro- Keyboards, Lead Vocals on HEAL
    Lauren Fabio- Princess, Lead vocals NY Energy City
    Scott Jackson- Bass
    Paul LaPlaca-Lead Guitar, Keyboards on HEAL
    Vick LeCar- Lead Guitar
    Brian Kozenek- Guitar On Dogs Album
    Frank Soda-Guitar on Heal & NYEC, co writer both
    Julia Totaro- Show Interviewer
    TITANO STRONGMEN- Shane Oddfellow
    Frank D'Erasmo- Hammer Fashioner
    Walking Monster-Anthony Johnson
    The Evil Wizard-Ian Jane
    Steve KAPELONIS-Eva's Kitchen Catering & co writer NYEC
    Robert Conley-Road Manager
    Eric McConnell- Assistant in pre production
    Mark Weiss Photography, interview & finding old photos
    Ron Akiyama-Photography
    Marawara Productions-for Filming the show
    Jon-Mikl Thor-THOR, Lead Vocals
    Richard Fabio-Drums, prop builder, videos
    Show Writers- Jon Mikl, Lauren Fabio, Rick Fabioi
    Show Production-Fabio Productions LLC 973-713-5011

Don't think there is a solid current line up for live shows but this was the most recent group of people to play with him. Proud to be among them!!