Posts by kthguitar

I forgot that this is possible for some time now and that profiling of preamps isn't rocket science. I considered the manual, but one question remains: Can I combine the pure, harsh tone of the preamp with a cab inside the KPA and get a pleasant, complete guitar tone? Because I thought that the cabs don't include the poweramp setion of a rig. Or do they?
    Thanks for your help, will buy a DI Box this week.

Hey guys,

I'm about to sell my ADA MP-1 because it's been sitting around for a very long time not being used. But... right before I made the deal, I wanted to check if everything's alright. I plugged it in my old Marshall Solid State, put a G-Force in the loop and... boom, there goes my plan to make some money for new gear. I just loved the stock tones so much that I swore not to let it go before I find very good KPA profiles of that amp.
    I tried the profile in the Michael Wagener free pack, but it sounds just too polished and HiFi to my ears. I made a video of that short session to show the customer that it works. I know it doesn't sound great through that cheap combo and it's sloppy because I didn't intend to share it on a message board full of guitar nerds, but maybe it serves to show that spanky-Paul-Gilbert-Intense-Rock-and-kinda-imperfect-raw sound I'm after.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Can you guys recommend me some awesome MP-1 profiles? I'm willing to pay.
    Any help is much appreciated (even if you tell me the character is just the sound through a guitar cab instead of playing a KPA through studio monitors - or if you tell me "just take a hot rodded Marshall profile and shut up" :D )!

Haven't noticed a click with the looper. What you're looking for is quantisation

Speaking for me at least, I know the difference and while switchable quantisation would make implementing the loops easier (in some places), it's not what I mean and what I need at the moment.

Crossfading works indepently from quantisation and serves well in DAWs to create smooth transitions between glued audio elements.
    The options given in the DAW to find a good compromise between a fluid transition and not killing the first pick attack might be overkill for the looper in the KPA, I see that.
    Then again, CK has found great and simple solutions for other things.

I'm fully aware of the fact that this probably isn't a priority for most users though.

Thanks for your interest! :)

Sometimes, the transition between end and start of the loop is a bit rough, that's not the looper's fault. The possibility to set the crossfade just a tiny bit longer could help smoothing these transitions when your step on the record button was a little bit off. A slightly longer crossfade helps with quick editing of recorded parts (cutting/pasting) and I think it would help me with my shortcomings in the same way.

Last rehearsal went great, first time with Sinmix-profiles for me. I tweaked the profiles according to Hannes' advice, no problems at all. But I think the main difference was that I played through our PA this time and used my DXR10 as my personal monitor exclusively.
    Only disadvantage with this setup is the balance between my guitar colleague and me... my KPA delivers a nice spread, his (excellent sounding) Fireball/Mesa 4x12 has that classic guitar-speaker-beam.

So, next step for me is getting him to switch to the Kemper haha.

Right now I'm playing F***** With A Knife (and Freezing Moon haha) through Sinmix' MG Raven using you guy's tweaking advice. Sounds great playing to the original records set to my pitch. Very promising so far, wish I'd be at the rehearsal place with my band.

Btw, I missed your PU-question, sorry: There are passive Dimarzio Custom 7s in my Ibby. I'm not the biggest fan of active pickups, but the DiMarzios sound a bit muddy, I'm thinking about switching to Evolution 7s for a bit more bite.

I actually never touched these parameters, thanks for the heads up! That's what I thought, the great Profiles are there, they just need some refinement according to the given situation.

Alright:

1. ToneHammer, Stymphalian, Double Impact Ultimate Profile Bundle (Mendel from Aborted co-worked on it), SinMix - just look for the amps you enjoy and listen to some samples and you'll get some seriously great profiles

2. Don't really know about any tutorials BUT when EQing I'm always on the side of doing as little as possible. My advice would be to use the graphical EQ in the X-slot and then do a high and low cut and then play around with the mids - once you like how the guitar tone comes out try to play with your band and take out the high and low cut filters but leave the mid-tweaking in, then adjust the high and low cuts until the guitar cuts through perfectly in your live situation.

Aborted sounded great last year, even open air! The advertisment vids played by Mendel give me serious GAS for the DI profiles.

Great EQ-advice, I'll totally give this a go, setting the basic character first and dealing with the cut-through later at the rehearsal place. Thanks alot!

Hey guys,
    after playing with the factory content a long time, I finally want to spend some money.
    I noticed that I really like the free Tonehammer-profiles when playing alone, they sound so great. In rehearsal situations and when playing to a song via Aux, they just don't cut very well though.
    In metal situations, I mainly play a sevenstring tuned down to A (Ibanez RG1077 XL), so I might have to use the EQ options in the KPA more carefully. Keith Merrow-profiles seem to sit better in the mix, at least for my specific setup.

This leads to two questions:
    1. Can you recommend some profiles which are designed to sound good in a band situation without a lot of tweaking, with downtuned guitars and the need for precise sounding death metal riffing?
    2. Do you know of any KPA-tutorial which helps me utilising the different EQs to tweak profiles to my needs? I have been avoiding this topic all my guitar playing life and haven't even set a LoCut so far. ^^

I hope all of this made sense and I appreciate any help.

I use a combination. I have two performances that cover 90% of the set, one for my guitar with single coils, one for humbuckers. Then I make separate performances for any songs that need something special or a drastically different sound. Now that morphing is available, I've found the need for these extra performances becoming less and less.

So I guess your setlist indicates the songtitles and the performance number for each song, right? Do you arrange the slots in the performances similar to each other, like clean tones being always in slot 1, crunch always in slot 2 etc.?

Hello everybody,

after reading every forum post and listening to every track of the KPA for years I finally pulled the trigger three weeks ago.
    It sounds great at home through Behringer Truths and inspires playing and practicing. At our rehearsal place, I use a DXR10, which sounds awesome on its own but gives me some trouble cutting through the mess. So there are some settings left to tweak, I guess...
    Guitars mainly used with the KPA are some Ibanez with passive DiMarzios, a Cheri Strat which needs new PUs and an Epi Acoustic. The guitar used with the DXR10 is an Ibanez RG1077XL tuned down to A (might be too low for the 10 inch speaker).

The KPA replaces my Engl Powerball + Engl V30 4x12 and my ADA MP1, I still need to put them on eBay though. FW 5.0 seems to justify selling the G-Force aswell. Footcontroller is a FCB1010 at the moment because I'm pretty familiar with it.

The Kemper cured my Amp-GAS, leaving very much room for guitar-GAS. Pointers to a great Strat for 1000 bucks are welcome :D

Looking forward to participate in the board, which seems to be very newb-friendly with a nice vibe in general.

Greetings from Cologne!
    KTH