Posts by mickrich

Looking forward to hearing the demo =]
    Quick one for you guys to test if you have time.
    I'm finding the EVH into Greenback 4x12 a bit sharp in the high mids so I am using a vintage Shure 545 combined with M201.
    The 545 is the SM57's grandad and a bit smoother in the highs.
    I think this sounds great but opinions would be really appreciated.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p05…4-26%2012-48-12.kipr?dl=0

Also going to have to scrap the EVH recto cab I have done already.
    Way too shrill and bright. I think it might need the Neve mic pre to soften it a bit or possible presence too high on the amp or maybe the 545 too instead of sm57.
    It's always hard to scrap a day's work but the results are what counts. =]

Is there any chance of you getting your hands on a Sunn Model T? My holy grail of amps, but no commercial profiler has offered it yet. I don't know why, like if maybe some people aren't equipped to handle the SPLs of a cranked Sunn, but you would think a commercial studio would handle it no problem. I see it on "requested amp" threads every few months, but nobody has gone there yet...

I understand you're probably starting with bread-and-butter amps, but a cranked Model T is the one iconic amp-based tone I can think of that nobody seems to offer.

I'll see can I get a hold of one.
    Might be hard to get in Ireland, where I am.
    I can handle high volumes no prob.
    The whole place was shaking when I was profiling the JCM800 =]

Huge thanks to Sam Goffen (Netheravon) for doing a killer demo of the TMS EVH profiles that will be released soon.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Back to work after a needed break.

Eddie VH is nuts. The amount of gain on this head is crazy.
    Channel 2 with gain just over half way boosted with TS808 drive zero, level and tone half way is the sweet spot for me.
    Channel 3 sounds better IMO without boost and gain past half way is almost too much. I really don't understand why Eddie would want more distortion than "Hail of Bullets" =]

Agreed, Mick.

The EVH Profile sounds absolutely-awesome IMHO. Couldn't fault it if my life depended on it.

Wow. High praise =]
    Thanks so much.

I always believe that sound (recording) is like music.
    Always make the sound or music you want to hear yourself and there will be people out there with the same (excellent =] ) taste.
    Appreciated.

I'll second that.

When I saw Ant's comments earlier in this thread, I saw them as a resounding endorsement, and was very happy for him. He's been super-patient, and he deserves to finally stumble upon some gems.

Thanks =]

I told @mickrich in PM how much I enjoyed his profiles a few times. To the point he must think I am a pain in the ass.

Yes, I have zero issues with the Kemper now. It gives me the solid foundation of tone I was seeking. Who knows, I might actually start recording songs again. 8o

I got your PMs and absolutely appreciate every bit of feedback.
    It has really helped steer me in making better profiles.
    It's hard to believe I've only had the Kemper a couple of weeks.
    I have learned so much about getting the best from it and also learned/ discovered a few tricks to make it sound better and more accurate.

I think it will be good to see some commercial packs from you, Mick. I'll definitely be among the people interested in purchasing a pack. Thanks a lot for the free profiles, man!

Thanks.
    Working my ass off on getting some packs together.
    I have a few done and am in the process of other ones.
    I will get the web store set up when I have reached 10 full packs ready to go.
    Should be a couple of weeks away.

Wow. Killer demo. Thanks
    Sounds full and natural and with none of the ice pick high mids I hate so much.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to demo the profiles.
    Would you mind if I shared it on my FB page ?

Just popping my head in quickly.
    Killer demo with the mid gain evh :)
    I think this profile came out so well because we got a sound that the guitarist wanted and set it up to sit in the mix. I think I will get this guitarist to come to the studio when I'm doing the EVH pack. He's a killer player and great at picking great sounds. If I can work with him to get clean, a few crunch and a few high gain with a load of different cabs, it will be a great set.
    Thanks again for the demos and feedback. I will be back to work on Tuesday.

No, this is a proper break.
    Away from the studio, off to county Clare to a hotel to chill out.
    Last time was studio customers in where I ended up posting profiles we grabbed during the recording sessions.

All the more reason why said flood will happen, mate.

You know how it goes - those who passionately-and-diligently get on with things are rewarded in surprising ways, whereas those who chase the buck are forever saddled with the burden of doing so.

Oh, and thank you for new freebie, Mick!

Cheers.

I tried the Evh rigs with a... GRETSCH!! And both sounded cool!

That's awesome. Eltzejupp said they cleaned up well too.

I am away with my wife and daughter for a few days so won't be around here much.
    A much needed break and my first weekend off this year so far.
    I will leave a cool profile here that I already sent to Eltzejupp.
    I was recording a band the other night that was looking for a Van Halen style sound so we nailed what the guitarist was after.
    EVH5150 channel 2, gain half way, no boost to greenback 4x12.
    This is a nice sound. Raunchy and shreddy but not overly saturated.
    Didn't get pics for this one. Had to grab the profile quickly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84ul…4-18%2021-35-27.kipr?dl=0

Same profile. Bridge pu. 80th style rock

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What can I say ?
    Amazing playing that would make a Squire practice amp sound good even =]
    Seriously great job.
    Thanks a million for taking the time to do this.
    I really appreciate it.

You're an animal, Frank.

Better make sure all the new-fangled-and-necessary transaction software is in-place-and-well-tested, Mick; there's gonna be a flood of Biblical proportions, mate.

Ha ha. Hopefully.
    I'll have to wait and see.
    I'm having so much fun with the Kemper, it wouldn't bother me either way.

I have seen a few people looking for mid gain crunchy sounds lately.
    Here is Marshall Silver Jubilee drive channel with gain at 3 into Zilla Fatboy with V30 and Creamback.
    This profile will be in an upcoming full Silver Jubilee pack.
    Comments and opinions, and especially, clips or video demos much appreciated.
    I will leave this link active for a few days so grab it before it's gone =]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z3d…S_SJ_GODZ_DRIVE1.zip?dl=0

Requested by Mircea who did the killer demo song with my profiles.
    This profile will be one of the "stars" of my 6505 pack so I will leave this link up for you guys for a day then it's gone =]
    TS808 to 6505 to Zilla fatboy.
    Mix of SM57 on Vintage 30 and M201 on H Creamback to API mic preamps.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/04ep…9j1/TMS_6SOS_LTD.zip?dl=0

External Content www.youtube.com

Hi Mick & thanks for all the goodies, as well as uploading best stuff on rig exchange, the recto is awesome :)

I'll provide lots of clips from your collection in the next 'profiler's digest' , featuring the SL5 greenbacks , JCM800, and probably the recto.

R

Hi waraba,
    That would be awesome.
    I didn't realise there was a "profiler's digest". I will look it up.
    I uploaded a 6505-recto cab- API mic pre too yesterday.
    Really tight sounding high gain sound.
    I will do a better job with the recto when I'm doing the pack for it.
    I need to get the right balance of low end without boominess which I didn't get right on the first one.

Yup, this is definitely an excellent business model and one I would have loved to have been able to deliver from the start; though I don't think I could have spared enough time to quite match the pace & frequency with which you are able to pump out profiles from the get-go so took another approach haha - kudos!

Have seen your postings on the Andy Sneap forum previously and always wondered why you hadn't gone Kemper yet...! :/

Welcome....

Thanks
    I really appreciate your comment.
    Your stuff is really good too =]
    The 800 and silver jubilee are on loan so I had to get them done quick.
    The rockerverb was brought into the studio by a band doing a session so I stayed late to profile it while it was there.
    Everything else is profiles I have grabbed during recording sessions with bands.
    If we got a good sound, I have profiled it there and then.
    I'm a full time studio guy so I have free time between sessions to work with the Kemper.
    I have a lot of heads and cabs to get through before I set up the web store.
    I want to open with a big selection rather than just a couple there.

The main thing that I like that @mickrich is doing is asking for feedback. This communication alone makes me want to buy his profiles as hes listening and making adjustments.

Feedback has helped me an unbelievable amount.
    I really appreciate all the comments and messages everybody has contributed.
    It has made a big difference to the way I'm capturing amps.

I haven't tried any of the B7K Profiles I've got, Mick; not recording yet (long story), but I do have several folks' free efforts.

I've not heard any complaints on the forum about any of the free offerings so far. Even saw a video the other day where @bmortlockguitar's (Ben "Bullet" Mortlock) session-bass-playing friend opted to use a DG Profile for a rock song when he could've chosen any of a bunch of other Profiles on offer. His reasoning was that he wanted to approximate the tone of the original album recording, which was achieved via different means using a "real" amp and EQ; the B7K provided the boost to his fret-buzz action and growl he needed.

Cool.
    I'll check out the profile I made when I'm in the studio tomorrow and report back.

Thank you for the B7K Profile, Mick.

Any chance of making some more in order to more-fully capture the preamp, or are you reserving that for commercial purposes down the track?

I've been told the B7K doesn't profile well.
    I did the profile quickly with the bass player from the band in the studio today.
    Apparently the Kemper isn't good with a clean/ distorted blend.
    Did you try test the profile yet?
    I didn't get a chance to do anything other than a very quick test.
    We used the real B7K for tracking.

Hey mickrich, your marshall profiles are very cool. A little late to the party and i tried them today. Very nice pack. Sounds very cool with my my strat and my gibson.

Thx for your work.

Great.
    Thanks for trying them out.
    Delighted they are working well for you.

Do these profiles use a high or low pass?

Oh great. Back on topic :)
    I set up the kemper's studio eq module for some profiles if they need it. Usually a little fizz cut and hi and lo pass. Just hit the "x" button to turn off the eq.

While at home for the Easter holidays, I've had some spare time to re-record the first track of my future alternative-metal project-band, using TMS Profiles / Michael Richards's 6505 (Mesa Recto 2x12) and Marshall JCM800 (1960AV 4x12) profiles. Excuse my mixing skills, as I've just added some basic EQ (HP and LP filters) and tweaked the levels a little bit on the guitars (Bass is just a Hartke Bass Attack, no Kemper [Blocked Image: https://www.facebook.com/images/emoji.php/v8/f6a/2/16/1f641.png] ). The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul 60's Studio with Bareknuckle Black Hawk pickups, tuned to Drop B.

Hope this recording does Michael's great profiles justice.

External Content soundcloud.com

Wow. That's awesome. Thanks a million for the demo.
    Great mix too. The Marshall really cuts through the heavy low mids of the 6505.
    Really natural sounding.

Thanks for the feedback.
    It seems we have different tastes in sound.
    I prefer a darker sound with less high mid but everyone likes different things.
    The recto will be hard one to get right for sure.
    The one I posted was a quick test one.
    I will have to spent time to get the best balance of frequencies when I profile the recto for real