Posts by johnmcguire

Not sure it does in the parameters of the unit…but it sure does under the hood. It’s a dotted 8 + 1/4 delay, feeding back in oneanother. So single delay will not work in my mind…

It’s a populair delay, (Andy Timmons signature preset) maybe worth making a kemper version ;). The current dual delay can get very very close to my ears…at least good enough for me to ditch the Halo from my “analog board” if the Player can do that ;)

Any chance you'd be willing to share your delay settings that come close to the Halo sound? I've tried so hard and can't get it close enough to my liking (currently using a Halo in the effects loop of my Stage for this very reason). There was a thread on this very topic a few months back and someone posted their settings but I found that it didn't come close enough to my ears.

I'm also on the Stage currently but have been considering moving to the Player + HX effects. Yes it may end up roughly the same "size" as the stage but to me it's about having more flexibility. I can do a ton with the effects on the stage but I think the HX effects combined with the "limited" Player effects might offer more than the Stage alone. Plus the ease of use on something like the HX effects on the fly... that's where I'm tempted.

I still have my GLXD14. Thinking i should revisit it and see if i can find the cause of the dropouts. I did love it when it was working!

*Edit - I see there is a new firmware on the Shure site. Might as well give that a go!

Did you ever try this out again? Just curious as I have a GLX-D (floor tuner version) and have been using it for the past year (just leave it in my rack and don't utilize the tuner part as the Kemper remote tuner works fine). It's been mostly rock-solid but I do occasionally have issues where I need to change channels or just don't have any luck having consistent signal. Usually takes some trial and error during sound check. Every other member in my band uses Line 6 wireless (G30's) and they don't seem to have issues whatsoever. Just find it ironic bc I've read the total opposite (which is why I ordered the Shure in the first place). I'm curious if you ever got yours working any better. I'm debating Line 6 something...

It would be the latest that downloaded via Rig Manager as of a couple of months ago. Again, for all I know it could have been this way forever (I used to use my Shure GLX D wireless tuner and only recently moved it off my board and started using the Remote tuner).

Some background here... For the past couple of months I have struggled w/ the banjo/mandolin player in my band and our front man (who plays acoustic) - both of these guys use a lot of different capo'd variations throughout our set and I'm typically just standard tuning on electric. I had noticed that we constantly felt out of tune with one another. I was absolutely convinced that their intonation was screwed up, etc. They went as far as getting their instruments completely re-set up and something still was sounding off.... Just last night during rehearsal, I noticed my reference pitch when tuning was set to "435" and I thought WTF? I've never touched that or changed it to my knowledge. Sure enough, I set this to 440 and everything was back to sounding right. This is pretty embarassing and I hate to even think how many shows I've played with this set at the wrong reference pitch. Now, granted, I recently rack mounted my wireless (Shure GLX D) and I used to just use the Shure wireless tuner all the time on my board so maybe that's why I never noticed that the Kemper was wrong - but for the past couple of months I've definitely been using the Kemper tuner exclusively (since the Kemper remote is the only thing on my board now). Has anyone else experienced this?

Been using the Kemper as my main live rig for a good 10 months now. I'm in a touring band and we all use IEM's and no cabs on stage. Recently we've streamlined things to the point that my Kemper and our bassist's rig lives in one rolling rack unit. This makes setup a breeze and makes a ton of sense when loading into the trailer etc.

When done with a weekend run and I have a week or so off, I'll typically unscrew my Kemper out of the rack and take it with me. However, this is becoming a pain - especially if this is in the middle of the trailer somewhere. Knowing we'll have another run in 4-5 days, I'll sometimes just say "screw it" and leave it in the trailer which leaves me without my Kemper for 4-5 days. I also run a studio and like having the Kemper there whenever possible. For awhile I was just using a 4-space SKB roto case and taking the Kemper in and out of the trailer whenever possible - and taking it with me... but this rolling rack we've been using has a drawer for misc items and cables, my wireless, etc... just makes much more sense for touring purposes....and is super streamlined with our bassist's rig to just roll in one rack for that side of the stage.

So long story short - I've been toying around with the idea of getting a second Kemper to keep in my studio and then leaving my other Kemper in the band's trailer all the time.

I can't help but feel like this makes me lazy or if it's really the most practical thing to do. Any thoughts?

What make/model is this?

Hi,

I've just updated my KPA to 5.4.1. Having updated, sometimes remote reboots it self and KPA freeze. Also when I go to Perform mode after Browse, my rig sound changes. For example; after I built a rig on browse mode and store it, I turn it to perform mode and suddenly same rig sounds different. I am having really hard time with remote and this problem after updated to 5.4.1. Any body has those issues ?

Are you using Rig Manager when this behavior occurs? What I have found is that the same thing happens to me when I'm building my performances in Rig Manager and then switch to Performance mode on the Kemper itself, sometimes it hasn't "synced" with Rig Manager yet. I was getting really upset and frustrated at first but what I've found is that if I stay in "Browser" mode on the Kemper while using Rig Manager, that usually things go okay. The remote DOES seem to have issues with rebooting all the time when connected to Rig Manager though (thinking I may have a faulty remote)

One thing I like about the Kemper is it's depth. I really hated having those old rack boxes 17" or more deep, terrible. I can't believe I can use a little 8" deep rack with this, talk about light and easy to carry around. And nice to not have to crawl way back in the box for anything, the back is right at the back like a real amp. :)

What rack case is this?

One more question - for you guys suggesting that I just use the X32 app for "more me" and keep my Sennheiser racked with the X32, do you feel that you're missing anything with your IEM mixes by not being able to use the "space" feature? Obviously you can't control the "space" because everything coming back to your ears is the same thing you're sending to FOH. The idea of racking my Sennheiser with everyone is super tempting though.

Yes, that would be awesome! Let me know. Thanks!

I wouldn't go the mono route, all the sound gets squashed into the middle of your head. Even with mono floor monitors, you still have a lot sense of direction, but with mono headphones or in-ears... On top of that, if you would have a keyboard player who puts out a lot of stereo info (and piano sounds tend to do that...), mixing this down to mono will give you all kinds of nasty phase-problems, which causes that Nord Stage to sound like a Casio kids piano...

You can go into FX return and alternate input, you can mix that stereo signal under the aux settings into the monitor, headphones or master mix, at will... But, in my experience, when you have your mix properly set, you won't be adjusting a whole lot... Also, you can use your iPhone or android phone to adjust your monitor mix on the X32... I would ust put yur transmitter into the X32's rack and save a few cables to connect ;)

The only thing keeping me from racking my transmitter with the band's X32 is that I sometimes do a cover band gig as well and would like the ability to use my IEM's when playing in other projects like that. I also still like the idea of having the dedicated "more me" control on the front of the Kemper. Maybe I don't really need this?

Also, are you guys using the headphone out or the monitor out to feed your IEM mixes?

Decisions, decisions

Not sure about your Senn, but my Shure runs in stereo. I run monitor out on KPA to the Shure left channel and a mix minus my guitar from "the guy" into the right channel. It's basically the same as when I don't use IEMs since I have a mono FRFR monitor next to the pedal board.

This only puts your guitar in one ear though right? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly but what is the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to the other method mentioned above?

I have a Sennheiser EW300 G3 and am looking for advice on the best way to set this up for live use with my Kemper. The band currently uses an X32 so I could simply just have a stereo mix from our board but have been reading how some people route this so that they can have a "more me" type of mix right from the front of the Kemper (and unlinking the Master volume).

Is it possible to have a stereo Kemper mix and then a mono master mix from the X32? Is it worth giving up a full stereo mix just to have the "more me" functionality of the Kemper?

To do this, do you have to route the main mix into the aux in on the Kemper? I could simply just use the Sennheiser though right? (one input for the Kemper, and one for the monitor mix). I guess I'm confused as to the benefit of routing your mix into the Kemper if you already have something like the Sennheiser box.

Also, do you guys typically use the headphone out of the kemper to feed your IEM mix or do you use one of the other outputs? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the different options here and what is the best for my case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like I'm going to have to keep my Space around for awhile...

at least until the Reverbs are updated and hope for an Infinite Freeze similar to the Eventide Blackhole setting w/ Infinite or Freeze feedback swell with intensity.

If anyone can somewhat duplicate this on the Kemper, please let me know. Thanks!

Where did you guys end up with your rack decisions? Curious to see some pics as I'm looking to do something similar as well!

Did you find one that fits the remote in the lid well? Would love to hear some reviews. Thanks!

I feel like this has been covered before but I figured I'd ask for my specific case just to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

I recently have been trying to convert my live rig to the Kemper. I currently have the Kemper (unpowered) rack and am running a Sennheiser G3 IEM system. The goal is to be Kemper + IEM's and that's it really (no cab on stage). I'm looking at buying the remote for simplicity although I come from a traditional pedalboard + amp setup. Currently I'm using the Boss MS-3 for MIDI switching but this will most likely be changing to the Kemper remote to keep things super simple.

What I'd like to do is find a 4U rack that is portable, light, and can fit the Kemper, Sennheiser IEM unit, possibly a wireless guitar unit eventually (currently using the Shure GLX-D but the floor version) and ideallly fit the Kemper remote in the rack lid. I love the way that @greenblob fits his remote in his shallow SKB roto case. I'd love to find a rack case that can dual serve as an actual pedal board.

I found this picture on the Kemper facebook page:

This is apparently a lightweight shock mount rack from Swanflight with low profile doors which allows the rear door to double as a pedalboard with room for a mini expression pedal. This seems absolutely perfect and what I'd like to do however I worry that a case like that will be too heavy (trying to keep this as portable as possible). There is something so appealing to me about showing up to a gig with everything I need in a 4U rack in one hand and then guitar in the other hand. Literally one trip and super easy setup time.

I play in 3 different bands and in most cases am driving myself to the gigs so the SKB case would be fine for that. However, one of the bands does do some extensive touring and in those cases gear is getting loaded into trailers etc. We occasionally also fly so that is a consideration too.

I guess I'm just torn between a shock mount flight/road case versus a lightweight SKB roto case. Regardless, I'd LOVE to find a solution where the Kemper remote is fit into the back rack lid and can essentially be the pedalboard. This just seems too convenient to not try and make it work. I also absolutely love the idea of only needing one cable from the Kemper to the remote. This means no need for power and other things for the pedalboard.

I'm super close to just pulling the trigger on the SKB roto case and doing something very similar to @greenblob but then saw this other picture recently and just wonder if I'd be better off with a case a little more secure (and could fit the expression pedal in the case as well).

Any ideas fellow Kemper users? Thanks for all the help!

I just upgraded, before I just had the PowerRack in a 3U SKB rack and monitor wedges and cable. Now I went full wireless and I can't wait to try it live.
    Everything is fixed with lots of Velcro, cable ties and of course duct tape :D It looks a bit DIY from the back but everything is really tight during transport so I don't mind.

The In-Ear wireless unit will probably go into a seperat rack for everyone soon.

Does the Remote fit in the rack lid by any chance? That looks very similar to something I'd like to do.