Posts by sstauffer

I never could go with the volume pedal thing. If you play clubs, there are so many opportunities for that thing to get stepped on.

I like using it with a 1 channel amp (pre Kemper) - I could back the volume pedal down, turn the guitar volume up to get a high gain sound with room to boost the lead by increasing the volume pedal and to get a clean tone I would turn down the guitar volume, turn up the volume pedal and then use the guitar volume to boost the leads. I do that somewhat with the Kemper but with all the different profiles and settings it is not necessary.

I saved a rig into a performance and noticed that it had slightly less volume and not as full sounding. I switched back and forth between browser mode and performance mode between the exact same amp and there is definitely a difference. I tried it with a couple of other profiles with the same result. Is there something in the performance settings that would be causing this. It sounded better in the browser setting.

I know what you mean, there are times when I get too much volume with the pedal, then I find myself pulling it back and come back to far and then struggling to find the right level. So I think I will try the morph approach. Are you boosting rig volume?

4db usually works about right for me with 1db of mids around 750 Hz, in a two guitar band.

Are you boosting the volume with the rig volume and boosting the mids with the output EQ?

On some rigs I set up a pure boost - at about 2- 3db and sometimes that doesn't seem like enough. If we are playing on a clean song it is enough but a heavier song it doesn't seem to cut through. What I found works best for me is to set up a volume pedal in the output position and set it to -2 which is about 60 % of the full volume, that way I have it for leads and also if I just need to boost a little to get above the mix for certain parts of a song. I never rely on the sound man/woman to boost my leads.

I am going through the same problem, I try to adjust at home with headphones, I practice with a powered FRFR and than mic the FRFR for live. Some profiles sound great in the headphones and not so much through the FRFR. I am am planning on going straight from the Stage to FOH if we ever play again (Scheduled for March) but I want to tweak from my headphones at home because I can't play loud there and I don't have access to the main PA. I did get some good responses from some smart people on this post.

From what I have read sound will change at higher volumes so I would think the sound you here from the Kemper Kabinet should be closer to the FOH than the headphones.

All of the above are good suggestions by @whippinpost91850 and @ESPete, here is a partial list of commercial profilers, it takes some time but you can look through them and many have videos, YouTube or SoundCloud channels listed on their websites if not sound clips right on their sites. If you haven't already done so download the Rig Manager and sift through the Rig Packs and Rig exchange, change the search to gain and start with some of the higher gain settings. I am amazed at how terrible some of them sound as well as how good some sound. In the Rig Exchange you can also look at the user ratings to get an idea if anyone else likes them.

Welcome, these guys have a wealth of knowledge on here, like @Monkey_Man said you can learn allot by reading and watching videos but I have received help on this forum beyond what the videos and manuals will tell you. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask and chances are you will get an answer quickly.

Thank you @kevinduren, @Wheresthedug, @karlic, @V8guitar - This is why I love this forum, so much knowledge available and people willing to share it! Another problem I have is testing profiles, at home I am limited to headphones, I have only been using the FRFR at practice (I will start using the outputs to the practice PA per suggestions and I don't have access to the main PA until we are playing gigs. Are there characteristics I can look for with the profiles in the headphones straight out of the Kemper that will carry over to the practice and main PA? By using the main XLR outs to the PA instead of micing my FRFR will that get me closer to the sounds coming out of the headphones? If I could get the sound from the headphones to FOH I would be in heaven!!

I had the same thing happen on my stage without RM hooked up. It just happened 2 or 3 weeks ago. It went away after I turned off and back on too. I did the latest update since then and I have not had any problems since. Hopefully this is not a trend.

Generally speaking the sound from XLR straight to PA will be far superior to sticking a mic in front of an FRFR cab. This is largely due to the FRFR cabs having a main woofer and a hi frequency tweeter. On regular FRFR cabs the mic will only get the woofer or tweeter. The Gemini and Kemper Kone have coaxial speakers (also called dual concentric) where the high frequency driver is mounter inside the low frequency driver so the mic may get both but it won’t get either at its best. Go straight to FOH from the XLR and let the audience hear your tone in all its glory.

Thanks @Wheresthedug, I just don't get a chance to experiment with the PA until we are playing a gig (hopefully our state will open back up soon) and usually our sound check is our first song. Do you advise using the low and or high cut in the output filter and is it necessary or advisable to use the main output EQ or just let the house adjust that?

I'm offering my experience but have a question at the end that might help us both. I started playing with Boogies, then went to Marshalls, H&K TriAmp and then back to Boogie. I also play smaller clubs and an occasional large outside gig. I went with the Kemper Stage and a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 FRFR. The Gemini is a true stereo FRFR - dual amps and dual speakers with stereo input. It also has an EQ control that will make it sound more like a real guitar cabinet. It pushes a lot of sound on it's own with 220 total watts and I have even used it at smaller gigs without going to FOH I have been putting a 57 mic in front of one of the speakers, that works OK but I am going to either try stereo XLRs out to FOH or try micing both speakers next gig. I Loved my Mesa but I find I am using a variety of Marshalls, Fenders and boutique amps instead of the Mesa profiles. My biggest fear of sending XLRs out is that the tones I am getting out of my FRFR won't sound as good going to FOH through the direct outputs. Maybe someone can enlighten me whether the sound coming from the FRFR is going to be the better or worse then XLR to the house?

Thanks. I knew this once but haven't done it for a while. Kept going back to the Browser mode rather than staying in the Performance mode to try loading.

Much appreciated.

I know what you mean, there is definitely a learning curve, and if you don't use it you forget it! Or at least I do. Don't forget to save each time you add or save something.

Thanks ST, I re-calibrated the pedal and changed all the TRS cables out, it seems like it is back to normal with a slight volume drop but that might be my hearing getting worse. At least the tone is back and it only happened the one time. I think it might have been the TRS cable going to the pedal but I never checked the cable again.