Posts by sstauffer

That's interesting, I've always ALWAYS come from a tube/cab setup so I'm very used to that over FRFR, although I do have a pair of Yamaha HS5 monitors that I use for home recording and I also kind of inherited an Alto TS215 monitor after my old band broke up, so I definitely have enough to hook the Kemper up to.

Would you say there's a way to get the FRFR to respond similar to a power amp and cab? That's really what I'm chasing is the feel as well as the tone - I've heard a few people say that adding a sub or a monitor really helps with this to bring out the low end thump on chugs and palm mutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are pricey but I have a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 FRFR which has a feature called "Empower variable frequency response control" This control allows you to blend the Speaker frequency response between ‘flat’ and ‘cab’ bias. - I think it rolls off some of the highs and lows to make it sound more like a real guitar cabinet.

Is there an expression pedal connected?

I had this happen on my stage 2 weeks ago right when I was trying to increase the volume using my expression pedal. The sound just dropped out and was thin sounding. It helped after shutting down and restarting but it still seems like it is not as loud.

I'm sure someone with more experience will jump on but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have the stage and I have not had any problems with mine in nearly 1 1/2 years. Early on I had a software glitch that would appear occasionally but it was fixed almost immediately with an update. Any of the models will do what you are wanting to do. You really wouldn't need the Helix because the Kemper has most if not all of those effects built in. If you bought the powered version you could just run that straight into your cabinet. There are countless profiles you can download for free and great commercial vendors that sell packs for reasonable prices. As far as the preamp on the powered amp vs the others it would be the same. You can get great sounds as long as you get the right profiles. For you I would probably opt for the powered model since you can run your cabinet with it and save the wear on your 5153. - Hope that helps!

I tried the free Filmo profile on the Free Kemper Rig Pack and I am digging it, I'm going to buy the pack. I might try his lead and rhythm packs as well.

I used a Rivera Blues Shaman for one gig to boost leads, I took it out because I can accomplish that easy enough with the Kemper, I had the Freqout pedal in for a while but I use a Mission Engineering FRFR and I can get plenty of sustain and feedback if I want it. For me it's not worth it, I do run three expression peddles for volume, wah and gain though. I really wanted to keep things simple so I try to resist the temptation of putting any other effects in front of the Kemper. - That being said, it really responds good to pedals so I would say if you tried it you would probably like it but it is certainly not necessary.

Rick Beato's SL Plex is my secret weapon of choice. This pack has my very favourite profile of them all. And believe in me, there has been more than a few.

https://flatfiv.co/collections…s/sl-plex-kemper-profiles

-Jari

Thank you for taking the "chance" and trusting us, brother.

Seems you agree then. Awesome bro'. 8)

I reckon this sort of thing is exactly what this thread was intended to uncover. It's a "hidden gem", not just 'cause it sounds great, but also because it's the sort of thing that's likely to fly under the radar when peeps are searching for particular amps, the "typical" scenario. It wouldn't occur to many that an old-school film projector could deliver the goods.

This is exactly what I was hoping for thank you all for sharing, there are so many to choose from but it's nice to hear what other people have already vetted and are using. So far here are my favs.

Previously mentions by Monkey Man M Britt's Colonial Pack - the one I use is Colonial 1.7 - nice clean tones.

The Amp Factory's 44-Deluxe BP+ - I use this one the most - cleans up nice and give you good rock tones.

I really love where this conversation has gone, I like hearing how other people approach volume which can be a problem across performances and from song to song and even within the same song. . I didn't use a volume pedal for the longest time but I finally bought one and added it in. I mainly control gain and volume with my guitar and once I get my Kemper where I want it with boost buttons for leads and get my performances dialed in for higher gains I probably won't need a volume pedal. I have a habit on some songs where I turn the volume pedal up slightly and back the guitar volume down to get a cleaner sound then I roll the guitar volume up for leads. On songs that require higher gains I bring the volume pedal down and turn the guitar volume up to get a higher gain sound, then if I need to play a lead I either stomp on a boost on the Kemper or bump up the volume pedal. I set the volume pedal at about 60 percent in the heal position to 100 percent in the toe position. My problem is I don't have time to get the Kemper exactly where I want it (kids at home) makes it hard to set the rig up with my FRFR and play it loud so I really have a volume pedal as a backup if I need to boost something easily. Most of my tweaking is either at practice or at a gig. We have practice tonight so I'm going to bring the LEs Paul and try to turn to Clean Sense down and see if that helps.

Maybe doesn't suit you but I also avoid the 1 profile/performance per song as its an admin nightmare, and only have this by exception i.e. I use 1 performance with 1 band, although 1 of those slots is for a specific song as it has specific effects ( talkbox...thanks paults ), but I know many people have more complexity in their songs.

in toehr words I treat my KPA like a mutlichannel amp - effectively 10 channels ( if you include Morph), each "channel" can be a different amp plus up to 8 effects per channel...that's way plenty for me - I'm a simple guitarist :)

I actually bought the Kemper to make things easier but then like I always do I complicated it by having different profiles for different songs and 3 expression pedals. Most of the songs use the same settings. I use an iPad and Band Helper to switch between them via Bluetooth and I love that feature. The other day I plugged straight into my Mesa and it sounded great so it has me rethinking everything now. I might go back to a simple setup like you have. Do you use a volume pedal at all?

As an external pedal-phobe I would avoid this route. You can do the same thing is so many ways on the KPA and avoid the hassle of plugging in a pedal ( patch leads, power, colouration....yuk).

For me, I don't like the variable control of using and expression becuase your ears change during a gig and you progressively get louder and louder to compensate and it becomes a balancing act. Therefore a preset volume increase or reduction I feel is better, which you can do with a pure boost.

For me, I use 2 performances as I have to balance a Les Paul and a Gretsch. The advantage is you can also adjust all other parameters to taste as well e.g. eq and gain.

I know what you mean, I have tried a couple of pedals in front, one was a feedback pedal and the other an overdrive but I took them both out because it wasn't worth the extra effort and I found I don't really need or use them. I do have 3 expression pedals, I use them for wah, post volume and gain. I like having a performance per song so I can save delays, chorus etc.. if I need them but I really only use a few settings anyway. I think I will take the advice of setting separate up performances for the Les Paul.

You can use an expression pedal to adjust input volume. In Rig preferences you see "volume pedal settings" and can change the location to "input" and set the range to your liking. So pedal up one guitar, down the other guitar.

I also used a cheap Donner Boost Killer Pedal (Xotic RC Booster clone) too. But the solution above was better if you want zero colouring of the sound.

I didn't think aboutt that I already use a volume pedal set for output to control overall volume and also lead boost,I wonder if I can have 2 volume pedals, one for input and one for output?