Posts by Wheresthedug

That means I need to make a choice: Do I want to get the best sound through the Kabinet or does the audience get the best sound. As I said before, the first option would be the obvious choice... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

I wouldn't see that as the obvious choice at all. You are playing for the audience so always make sure they get the best sound.

You will never get the same sound with imprints as the full Studio profile going to FOH. The imprints are intended to sound like standing in front of a real cabinet (no mic used). Whereas Studio or Merged profiles being sent to FOH are intended to sound like a guitar cab with a mic in front.

These are very different things.

The difference between on stage and FOH with the Kemper is exactly the same as it always was with a valve amp and speaker cabinet with a mic in front.

If you want to have the audience hear exactly what you are hearing then you need to hear the full FOH studio profile through a good FRFR. Some people don't like the feel and/or sound of FRFR so accept the on stage and FOH sound wil be different.

Yes I would expect it to work very well.

There are some great bass amp profiles for your electric. For the stand up you might wabt to just bypass the Stack section or load a profile of a good mic preamp/mixer channel strip to give it some extra character.

Main outs to FOH at appropriate kevel for desk then forget about it.

Unlink main outs from Volume knob.

Send Monitor out to stage cab and link to volume knob.

Now you can control onstage level without affecting FOH.

Kemper Support #1 thanks. Tht is certainly the way it does operate but I was under the impression from previous discussions with Burkhard that the shut down routine should remember the position at the point of closing down and reboot with the KPA in the same state. Therefore, if the VP was in the heel position when closing down the KPA would reboot with volume at 0 (or whatever value corresponds to the heel position of the VP). Even in this state you would still need to move the VP to have the KPA recognise the current physical position of the pedal but the default start up would match the position at close down. This has never been the case for me so I assume I have misunderstood what Burkhard was saying. To be honest it isn’t a major problem so I just accept it but it would be nice if it worked the way I described.

The offsets I'm referring to is simply the ability to set the baseline (such as A=440) +/-99 cents globally.

Sweetened tunings is another bag of badgers, but Sweetened GTR and BASS for starters.

You can already set the baseline although not by the full 99 cents. You can adjust the reference tone between 424hz and 456hz at the moment. I think that equates to +/-50 cents but could be wrong. In that case you can achieve a full semitone of change by going either up a 1/4 tone or down a 1/4 tone.

The psychology of this has always fascinated me almost as much as full grown fat blokes going to watch football matches in replica team strips . Are they hoping the star player will get injured and the manager will turn to the, to run on the park and save the day.? I have never been able to get my head round it but maybe I’m just a freak (no need to answer that one ?)

I love my Kemper and I am super impressed with Kemper as a company. The product is excellent and the customer service (including response to user feedback) is top notch. However, I don’t want to walk around looking like an advertising board. I’m obviously just getting old and grumpy. My daughter insists on wearing designer clothes and the bigger and more visible the logo the better. She pays obscene amounts of money to walk around advertising the product she just paid for. ?‍♂️

What am I missing here?

Did you have good results by using certain shapes?

Yes, one of the best analog pedals I ever bought (in fact one of the very few I actually regularly used was the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe+. Both the wave shape and symmetry controls were things I used a lot. I would still use it today if it wasn’t so damn massive to lug around ?

https://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/voodoovibe+.pdf

For tremolo square wave worked well in Guitar Rig plug-in

Also, Strymon’s use of a symmetry style control (they call it wave shape) in the Mobius’ Vibe mode is very useful. They also implement multiple wave forms for the phase and filter as well as some of the more extreme effects like Formant and Quadrature.

ckemper seems to have made a pretty logical case in the thread ST posted the link to. I think he has also contributed to several other threads in the main section and maintains a consistent position. I happen to agree with you and others that separate EQ (including filters) makes a lot of sense but I can also see the other side of the argument.

CK’s position seems to be based on the assumption that everyone is using decent pro level FOH Pa with a competent sound engineer AND that the venue is designed well for acoustic purposes x both on the audience side and stage side. This is where I see a disconnect with many users requirements:

a substantial number of users run their own semi-pro level PA systems and have to engineer as well as play as they don’t have a FOH engineer

also, while there are some great sounding venues the vast majority are spaces designed for drinking, eating or some other function with no thought given to their acoustic performance. Unfortunately, a great umber of these venues also stick the stage in the worst sounding spot in the room simply because its the only place available or because it has least impact on the ability to sell drink. I have played in where the drum kit was basically in a cave along with the bass and guitar amps while the band stood in front on the mouth of the cave. In fact this aptly describes the horrific layout of one of Glasgow’s busiest small venues (The Renfrew Ferry) for the last 20+ years. Our sound engineer would euphemistically refer to it as a “hostile sound environment” ?

I for one would also like the volume pedal position to be sensed at startup and any switches such as tuner active to be retained from shut down to start up. I believe the KPA is currently supposed to identify if the volume pedal is at 0 on startup but I have never found that to be the case. i always get full volume everytime I reboot even with the volume pedal in the heel position.

I know that ckemper and the team including Burkhard start reviewing every request with a simple question like “why is this needed, who will it benefit and how will they benefit from it?”

With that in mind, I would like to add my workflow and reason for request.

I am one of those guys who rarely does much tweaking. Any tweaking I do can be achieved just as easily with the toaster’s excellent physical interface as it can with Rig Manager.

Rig Manager is really something that I use for browsing rigs and creating performances. As a result, I spend most of my time with my KPA connected to RM while I play and record (rather than tweak settings).

As I am playing and recording using my DAW I want to make sure my tuning is accurate before recording any take. Having to turn away from my playing position to activate the tuner via the Remote or Chickenhead knob then tune while facing the KPA is enough of an inconvenience to be annoying. On the other hand, if I could simply remain in the playing position ready to record and check my tuning with a simple keyboard shortcut or mouse click it would make a much more satisfying workflow.

While my DAW (Logic) also has a tuner, I much prefer using the Kemper tuner.