Posts by Wheresthedug

Indeed, the LFO functionality is already there so adding the extra flexibility shouldn’t be difficult but would totally transform the range of effects from trying to mimic existing pedals to creating anything your mind can imagine ?

skoczy I’m totally with you but that’s what GString said recently. I definitely hope the changes their mind because it drives me mad.

For me the ideal situation would be to be able to do everything in the editor without the need for a mouse. Say, “E” for Editor, “L” for List, “F” folder, “I” Inspector etc. Arrows and Rab keys to move the selected field and Return to select. Then enter any value numerically or with a +/- key. Reaching for a mouse while holding a pick is a recipe for tendon related RSI.

Please add the ability to change the wave shape for any effect that uses an LFO (tremolo, chorus, phaser, flanger, vibe etc) to allow Sine, Triangle, Saw and Square waves. In addition to this it would be awesome, and a great help in getting good univibe tones, to include a symmetry control for the wave form like my Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe +.

This should presumably be a pretty simple addition which would provide massive flexibility and creative possibilities without the need to introduce completely new effects types.

If you have a great space when you can set up and mike a cab you might also want to consider recording a DI track when tracking and reamping this once all the parts are recorded. You can then make full studio and merged profiles of the exact tones for live use too.

I made mine with the Two Notes BlendIR software as the sound source and IR capture. Yes, I turned off all stomps, amp, cab and effects. I think I sent the signal through the direct out but it was a while ago.

At the moment any Stomp or Effects setting can be saved as a preset by dragging the block to the presets window. This works well, although it would be much better for my workflow to be able to save a preset by right clicking and naming it rather than dragging and dropping then locating the dropped preset in the list window.

However, an even bigger issue for me is that you can't tweak an existing preset and save the results as an updated version. Instead you currently need to drag the adjusted settings to the presets window. Find it. Find the original version and then delete the original. It would be MUCH more efficient to be able to save presets in the same way as rigs. Store, Store in Local Library or duplicate. Where duplicate functions the way the current drag and drop works but Store or Store in Local Library simply replace the current preset with the amended version.

I notice you said that you are using 2 SM57 to make the profile. That could be the problem. Are you sure both mics are perfectly in phase with each other? If they are out of phase you will find certain frequencies cancelled. This usually results in thin, lifeless or dull sound but it changes depending on the phase relationship between the mics.

Try making a profile with just one SM57 right in the centre of the speaker and plugged straight into the KPA return (no desk etc). If this doesn’t cut your hear off with brightness then start looking elsewhere for the problem.

Another potential problem could be your room. In a typical home untreated room you are likely to have serious problems with bass and lower mid frequencies due to modal interference. This will get worse the louder you play. If you cab and or mic is in one of these locations it will be almost impossible to get a decent sound. Try using a tone generator in your DAW starting around 60hz and move around the room listening for places where the sound becomes louder or softer. Repeat again for each frequency until around 2khz. It is not uncommon to have a few frequencies that totally disappear at certain locations in the room. Place the cab an mic in a position that suffers least from these dead or boosted frequencies.

As for trying to compare the mic sound to the real amp when position the mic, a separate room os best but as ai don’t have one, I have developed a process that works well.

Set a decent tone at the level you want to profile. Then turn the amp volume down a bit so that it isn’t overpowering. You are not trying to get the amp tone at this stage merely the impact of mic placement.

Next record a little loop with the KPA looper and let it repeat while you move the mic.

Use a set of good fitting in ear monitors (I use a pair of Shure SE425 with Snuggs custom molds) to shut out as much of the sound from the cab as possible when listening to the effect of moving the mic. Even this probably won’t blot out the live amp sound unless the headphone amp is set painfully loud.

Now for the secret sauce ?

Get a pair of industrial ear defenders from your local DIY store. The big ugly things that look like headphones. Wear these over the top of the in ear monitors. With this extra layer of isolation you should be able to hear a reasonable example of the mic’d sound as you experiment with mic position.

One of the biggest issues I have with the Kemper workflow is saving Rigs and performances.

Even in RM3 (which is a great improvement over previous RM versions) there is still a poor saving workflow for me.

At the moment, saving a rig puts it automatically at the bottom of the Local Library list. This can be hundreds of profiles below the one selected. Therefore you need to scroll to the bottom to locate the newly saved Rig. Then copy or drag and drop it to the folder required. THEN re name it. THEN perhaps delete the old one to do some tidy up house keeping.

Then there is the fact that it is so easy to create duplicates with the same name which can only be properly identified by comparing dates and times.

I feel we need a a Save To....... option where saving brings up a dialog box that lets you select the folder you want to save to AND gives the option to rename it before saving rather than afterwards. It might seem like a small matter but it drives me absolutely mad just now and means I actually rarely bother saving anything.

It's only a little thing but its the little things that matter and make the difference between good and great.

I see what you mean. While it is possible to drag individual Stomps or FX into the preset window, it isn't possible to select multiple Stoms or FX (or even the whole block) to create a single FX chain preset. You can do this on the KPA itself so it seems like something that should/will be added in future. I would hope so anyway.

You can use volume and wah as normal but using an expression pedal offers much more flexibility.

You can position the EXP pedal at various different points in the signal chain on a rig by rig basis. For example set it to control volume at the input (same as a regular volume pedal) which will increase and reduce gain but have less effect on volume. Or move it virtually to after the stack (like putting it in the FX loop of the amp) which will have no effect on gain but will have a significant effect on volume and will let the delay/reverb tails fade out naturally . OR put it after the delay and reverb effects which will have no effect on gain, significant effect on volume AND kill the delay tails. Each rig can have its own settings if necessary.

With a virtual wah using the EXP pedal you can tweak the wah settings per rig. Or you can move the position of the way. Wah before OD/Fuzz for some rigs. wah after OD/Fuzz for others.

Then you have the option of using morphing which is a whole other level.

Plus you will have much less cable in the signal path.

As for which exp pedal(s). The Mission is fantastic as a wah if you like the feel of a Crybaby or similar. Unfortunately, it is meh at best for everything else. I use a Mission dedicated to wah and other pedals for everything else. If I could only have one pedal though it wouldn’t be the Mission.