Posts by SunShn

The Cab needs to be on and the box for Monitor Cab Off should NOT be ticked.

Good deal. I saw the monitor output option last night but cannot remember if I changed the option. I will ensure it is not ticked, and adjust other settings as needed. I guess I will also look into some paid profiles as well. Thanks for the info/assistance!

Using FRFR the Cap must be on. Remember that the profile with Amp and Cap is the microfoned output of the profiled amp. Switching Cap of will need a real Guitar Cap to compensate the lack of Cap in KPA-output.

Good deal. I guess I will just have to tweak the EQ as well as rig volume and the volume on the back of the FRFR. Thanks for your help!

Ok, so I have yet another newbie question since this is my first time using Kemper with an external cab. Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would just add to this exiting one.

I have a 1/4” cable running from the Monitor Output of my unpowered Kemper into the Headrush FRFR112 power cabinet. Without touching the settings, it sounds as though the cab has a blanket over it, kind of muted. When I turn the cabinet option off (via the cab button on front panel), the sound achieved is brittle for lack of a better term.

I realize that I will have to tweak profiles in order to get the sound desired. But as a general rule of thumb, when running into a powered FRFR, what settings would be the standard to utilize (cab on/off, monitor output on/off, etc.)?

Thanks

The main factor that will influence your decision is whether you need a second output for live FOH or for recording.

If you are only playing through your FRFR cab and don't need a FOH out or recording out then you can use either Main Out or Monitor Out. However, if you are gping to be recording or playing live you would tend to leave the Main Out free for this and use Monitor Out for your own cabinet.

For now I will not be recording out. That may come in the future, but not any time soon. Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure I had everything straight so I could avoid headaches.

I have heard mixed results regarding these Headrush cabinets, but most of the complaints have been about the 108 as you listed. However, most of the reviews I’ve read on the 112 have indicated an improvement over the 108. I’m hoping this will work for the short future until I can invest in a better cab.

sorry for the separate reply from the quote. Unfortunately, I was in my phone and just hit the wrong button.

I have reviewed the Headrush 108 and I was not very impressed, I hope the 112 would be better. I actually went back to the Line 6 power cab. I have also tried the Mission 212 and that was definitely not $1000 better than the Powercab.

I have currently ordered a powered guitar cabinet to utilize along with my non-powered toaster. More specifically, my purchase is the Headrush FRFR-112 cabinet.
    I will mainly be utilizing this for practice at home as I have grown tired of the undesirable sounds of headphones.
    I’m sure this info may already exist on a forum, but I could not find anything related to this specific cabinet. On the back of the cab, there are two XLR/TRS combo inputs. I’ve read the main manual, and it seems like Main Output section on the back of the Kemper is mainly for using a mixing board while the Monitor Output would be more geared running into the back of a cab.
    I just want to make sure that utilizing the Monitor Output with 1/4” cable to the cab is the best method. I didn’t know if using the XLR outputs from the Main Output section would provide better audio quality.
    Thanks in advance for the assistance/advice!

Thank you ToneDeaf! I haven't had a chance to really dive into reading about this mic, but it appears as though there are plenty of good reviews. Definitely appears to be a good mic to start out with, especially for someone with little experience in the recording/audio realm.

Thanks to everyone for all of your replies and guidance. Monkey_Man, thanks for taking the time to look up and research the Hartke manual. The way you explained now makes sense and could prevent me from frying the Kemper. I guess I need to research things myself a little more. I’m just glad that I did reach out on this forum before I blew up my Kemper!

Bryan,

Thank you for the models you mentioned. I will be sure to check them out and perform a little research.

Monkey_Man,

Thank you for the information about bypassing microphone utilization. Sorry for the continued questioning on this subject, but I’m still a little fuzzy on how to obtain the proper connection. Are you saying that the Direct Out/Send from the Kemper needs to go into an alternative input on the Hartke combo amp? In looking at the controls, I only see an Input, Send, Return (all 3 are 1/4”), and a Direct Out (which appears to be XLR).

Thanks

Ok, since it appears as though the addition of a microphone is necessary, I need to edit/add to my original question(s).

If I am going to purchase a microphone for profiling, I would prefer to just make a single purchase. Is there any particular brand/model that is budget-friendly and would also work for creating profiles of both bass and guitar?

Good day,

I will go ahead and apologize in advance if this question exists elsewhere on this forum. Is it absolutely necessary to utilize a microphone when profiling an amplifier? A friend of mine has purchased a new Hartke HD 500 bass combo amplifier, and I would really love to capture its sound.

Unfortunately, I do not have any microphones in my possession, and even if I did, I have no idea on how to find the “sweet spot” in which to place the microphone. I didn’t know if it would just be possible to run a ¼” cable from the Direct Output/Send of the Kemper to the input of the Hartke. Would this create too much deviation from the original sound of the Hartke?

If it is a “must” to utilize a microphone, could I receive recommendations on some budget-friendly (but effective) microphones to purchase? Also, are there any recommendations on how I could find the absolute best spot in which to place a microphone (please remember that I have no recording/studio experience and am still relatively new to tinkering with amps)?

Thanks in advance!

I was really hoping that I could run directly into the Peavey for a few reasons. One of those reasons would be having the ability to switch from bass to guitar whenever I felt confident enough. I’ve always played bass, never played guitar in front of anyone before (mainly just a bedroom guitarist), so I would like to be able drop the volume way down (w/o someone cranking it back up via the board) and play quietly until I get my confidence and then slowly roll up the volume.

However, the way the TKO is acting, utilizing the direct input to the PA with the Kemper may be my only option. It is nice to know that I have multiple options with the Kemper. :)

Wow, I was completely expecting to that I would need to purchase a separate power amp for my unpowered Kemper. I’m glad I checked with the experts before I wasted money on an unnecessary purchase. In addition, you beat me to my next question; which output to utilize, so thank you!! :) I will also be sure to turn off the cab option on Kemper before playing.

I don’t know what’s going on with the Peavey amp. It will play at a normal volume for a while, then the volume will bounce around. The worst part is that for no reason, there will be an extremely loud, ear-bleeding squeal come out of the amp that forces me to shut it down. I’ve tried a few new instrument cables, but no luck. Again, I’m not real familiar with amp wiring, so I am hoping that it’s just something funky with the input jacks. That’s why I wanted to give the Kemper a try on another input.

Worst case scenario, I will plug the Kemper into the mixing board and just utilize a wireless transmitter/receiver system between my bass and the Kemper. This will eliminate me from trying to run more wiring through the church.

Thanks again!

My apologies if this question exists elsewhere in the forum. I realize this is probably a newbie question, but I must admit that I have not had much experience dealing with amps, cabs, electronics, etc.

I currently utilize a Peavey TKO 65 bass amplifier for playing the bass on Sundays. Recently, I have been experiencing issues with this amplifier, so I thought about making the Kemper my primary amp. On the front panel of the TKO, there are 4 jacks; high and low gains for the instrument, and a patch section that shows Pre Amp Out and Pwr Amp In. There is no effects loop or any other options on the rear of the amplifier.

I’m assuming that I would need to plug the output from the Kemper into the Pwr Amp In option on the Peavey. However, since I have an unpowered Kemper, would I need to purchase a separate power amp for use between the Kemper and the Peavey, or could I just run from the unpowered Kemper straight into the input of the Peavey?

Sorry everyone for the confusion; I was not aware that there was a user name of Finally on here. Guess I should've titled my thread as something else, lol.

To user Finally; sorry, did not mean to take your name in vain. I feel so ashamed... ||

Awesome, thank you! I grew a little frustrated trying to find it in the manual that came with the unit. Guess I should have exercised a little common sense and searched the site for additional manuals. Thanks again. :D

So excited to say that I now own a Kemper! After at least a year of researching, I finally made the jump and bought one, graduating from a Line6 HD400. Can't wait to begin unlocking the potential inside this lunchbox.

My apologies if a thread answering this newbie question exists already. Could someone please advise how I can assign stomp box models to a rig so I may toggle the effects on/off using the effects I-IV on the Remote? I'm new to the Kemper, and I have to admit it's a little overwhelming. My main experience so far is just tinkering around with the factory loaded rigs and playing those right out of the box. Again, I'm sure that this information is out there somewhere, so if someone could please point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.