UnO4Kemper as a Remote extension...

• As you know, the FCB1010 UnO4Kemper firmware was introduced some time ago with the specific target to "bridge the gap" until the real thing came along - and as you most definitely know that moment has now come :)
    I'm sure there will be many many UnO4Kemper users who will happily switch to using the Kemper Remote as soon as they can, and will get rid of the old FCB1010. But when looking at the Remote layout, some of you might consider yet another scenario ( only in case you don't mind a pretty large and heavy pedalboard ... ) : the UnO4Kemper FCB might well serve as a companion to the Remote, in order to give you direct access to everything you need and more :
    - instead of toggling between rig selection and looper control, you could keep the Remote with its high quality switches in Looper mode constantly, and use the Slot1->Slot5 switches of the companion FCB1010.
    - instead of (or next to) combining multiple effects in one effect switch, you might extend the 4 Remote effect switches with 5 more FCB1010 effect switches
    - instead of buying external expression pedals, you might reuse the 2 FCB1010 expr.pedals (if you can live with how they feel and behave of course - we all know that the quality of those pedals varies heavily from unit to unit)

Just to put my post in the correct perspective : I'm very excited with the release of the Kemper Remote, because it looks like a very high quality well thought of product. Knowing that UnO4Kemper was just an intermediate solution, and that the resale value of an FCB1010 is not very high, I thought I'd suggest an alternative for just throwing it away. I might even look into a new firmware version which fully supports such a "Kemper Remote Extension" scenario, if possible. For instance, when the Remote display gives you all visual feedback you need, we might get rid of the 2-way-communication for the FCB1010, and run a single MIDI cable only. We'll see. For now consider it just a heads up to the upgrading masses not to rush into throwing away your old gear... ;)

• Yes!!!

Having the UnO4Kemper for myself and having just ordered the Remote, it will be a great solution!

Matteo

"Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now."

• When I first started thinking about purchasing a Kemper toaster, the Uno4Kemper chip was the very first item of my new setup I bought. True story. :D

I'm sure that even on its own, the FCB1010 with Uno4kemper will remain the preferred controller for a lot of people after the Remote becomes available. Hard to beat that price and it works really well.

• Some of you must have the luxury of huge stages for your gear. I'm envious. Locally, there are usually no stages...just a corner of the room where a couple of tables have been removed. :whistling:
    I usually have room for only one guitar and must stand perfectly still so I don't hit anybody with the guitar neck.
    I only take what I can get by with.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• As you know, the FCB1010 UnO4Kemper firmware was introduced some time ago with the specific target to "bridge the gap" until the real thing came along - and as you most definitely know that moment has now come :)
    I'm sure there will be many many UnO4Kemper users who will happily switch to using the Kemper Remote as soon as they can, and will get rid of the old FCB1010. But when looking at the Remote layout, some of you might consider yet another scenario ( only in case you don't mind a pretty large and heavy pedalboard ... ) : the UnO4Kemper FCB might well serve as a companion to the Remote, in order to give you direct access to everything you need and more :
    - instead of toggling between rig selection and looper control, you could keep the Remote with its high quality switches in Looper mode constantly, and use the Slot1->Slot5 switches of the companion FCB1010.
    - instead of (or next to) combining multiple effects in one effect switch, you might extend the 4 Remote effect switches with 5 more FCB1010 effect switches
    - instead of buying external expression pedals, you might reuse the 2 FCB1010 expr.pedals (if you can live with how they feel and behave of course - we all know that the quality of those pedals varies heavily from unit to unit)

Just to put my post in the correct perspective : I'm very excited with the release of the Kemper Remote, because it looks like a very high quality well thought of product. Knowing that UnO4Kemper was just an intermediate solution, and that the resale value of an FCB1010 is not very high, I thought I'd suggest an alternative for just throwing it away. I might even look into a new firmware version which fully supports such a "Kemper Remote Extension" scenario, if possible. For instance, when the Remote display gives you all visual feedback you need, we might get rid of the 2-way-communication for the FCB1010, and run a single MIDI cable only. We'll see. For now consider it just a heads up to the upgrading masses not to rush into throwing away your old gear... ;)

+11111 for this excellent ideea

• Hi Xavier
    The Remote looks great but I like some (many?) others don't have the money right now so I'll stick to my FCB + U4k for some time.
    So first of all thanks for this great chip that works flawlessly for me.

Anyways, I would happily buy a new chip if it gave some more flexibility to the FCB. (Maybe the coming of the Remote will make that possible)
    - switching multiple stomps on off with 1 button
    - free assignation of the parameters to the pedals (delay mix or time etc ...)
    - looper functions (but I think that won't happen)
    Maybe there is still a market for that :)

Most of all, I hope I'll still be able to use my fcb+u4k when the next firmwares come out
    Cheers
    Matt

• Some of you must have the luxury of huge stages for your gear.

Lol, I was thinking the same. Using the Remote plus pedals plus the FCB laid out before me in an angle to my left or right (Remote in front of me) would make my place on stage look like a commando central of some weird technological gadget.
    ;)

• When I suggested this I got a "he's crazy" reception, but it is possible.
    Just gave my thoughts on this in another thread. Someone has to be in control of the Kemper and there will the issue of the KPR sending MIDI OUT to the FCB. So I don't know if there is a problem there.

Suffice to say, many of us WILL test this out and see what the problem are. It's A LOT to carry around. But because it can be hooked up this way, many will want to know the ins-outs of the issue.

Whether Kemper supports them together is totally unknown. But maybe Uno4Kemper can figure out how the FCB can be a slave to the KPR and not try and control profile changes but only serve to be players of already KPR-chosen profiles? I don't know enough about the workings to opine if it's possible or not.

• I'm definitely buying a Remote (smaller footprint + my Mission pedals is impossible to pass up). But the FCB1010 UNO4Kemper has served me well (and still will for a few weeks). I'm keeping mine as a backup. Gear breaks, even high quality gear. While I won't miss the 3 cables or the horrible expression pedals, the versatility of the Uno4Kemper is still worthy of respect.

• Someone has to be in control of the Kemper and there will the issue of the KPR sending MIDI OUT to the FCB. So I don't know if there is a problem there

No problem at all. The Remote will be an additional way of controlling the Profiler, the MIDI OUT just sends the current Profiler state to the FCB for keeping the LEDs in sync. Already now you can control the Profiler both with the FCB and with the frontpanel buttons, and either way the FCB LEDs are in sync, showing the current status thanks to the Profiler MIDI OUT. Kemper has already stated that it will be possible to connect 2 Remotes, 1 on stage, 1 backstage. Also in that scenario there is no "master" or "slave".

• Does anyone have a Sysex File for FCB1010 UnO with KEMPER or for KEMPER that could share with me ?....I'm looking in to programing the regular UnO chip to work with KEMPER .....mainly to be able to run and control Delay Mix and Gain via the regular UnO chip and A/B pedals on FCB 1010 .....does anyone have any file that could work ?....Thank You mates .....

K

• What would be cool would be to saw off the rear row of switches that can be globally set to effect slots as the front row of switches and exp pedals would be superfluous. Then elevate them two inches and place behind the remote? Wonder if that is possible? I got the remote precisely because I want extra space for pedals not a surfboard sized board