Any Kemper users still gigging with a regular amp & pedals?

• This might seem like a strange question but I realise that some folks may have invested in the Kemper primarily for studio use. I'm curious because although I'm very happy with what my Kemper does, after ten years of gigging with an Axe-FX, I find I miss the analogue experience of a real amp and pedal setup. I wondered whether any other Kemper users have also felt this?

• I play in a small bar band , and use a 2x 12 and tube head with pedalboard, the pa is not powerful enough to run a guitar through and sometimes we use whatever pa they have there which is usually junk and can barely handle vocals
    i guess most guys here play large venues with 100 s of people , the bar cover band scene is not like that its less than 50 in a smoky bar ussually on a tiny stage

the amp is more than enough to fill the room so i use an amp and save the kemper at home keeping from bashing it around to gigs and possibly breaking it anyways it stays at home fro recording only which is the reason i bought it , and i have the the non power amp version

• When I had my first Kemper toaster I was still running through a tube power amp and cab. I wanted to feel and hear the 'amp in the roomb' effect. And I did, and it sounded great. But I learned the sad reality that my tone through the PA was nowhere near what I heard on stage. In the end, what the audience hears is most important, and no soundguy can mic a cab right it seems. Not even me :)

I now go through a CLR wedge aimed at my head like a monitor (i.e. zero stage volume from the crowd perspective). I run direct from the CLR to the board. I have the best tones ever going to the PA now.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I primarily use the Kemper when I have very little room to set up in the band. I use my Mesa Mark V head whenever I have the room as I prefer to have the speaker cabinets at least 5+ feet away from me. I like to have enough volume to move the speakers a little. I can't do that in close quarters.

Honestly, as great as the Kemper sounds (including the stellar effects), I would use the Boogie all the time if I had the room. Since I don't, I enjoy what the Kemper provides when I use it. (I'm just not an FRFR fan....I tolerate it.)

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Definitely depends... Huge 2500+ clubs where the stage is huge and the sound company is exit real professional, I see no need to use a tube amp rig: these guys will demand you turn you turn your amp around and/or place plexiglass in front of it, and we will be on ears anyways, so that real amp feel on stages like that is non existent. Small clubs, it really depends on my mood to be honest and what he gig requires, definitely just depends.

• wow VESmedic Im jealous 2500 plus people ! , most of the small time gigs i play the guys laugh when i try to plug any guitar into the pa , saying " you wanna do what ?' and "nobody does that it will blow the tweeters !" guess it takes a long time to change peoples attitudes toward the future about playing direct . Usually the pa they have is so small anyways , 200 watts if im lucky maybe 1x 15 on each side and no subs a crappy cheapo floor wedge monitor or two if we are lucky for the whole band , my guitar amp on 5 completely blows the whole pa away and is too loud for the audience

maybe one day ill get to use the kemper through a real pa system for 2500 people !!

• Played my Kemper through a 4x12 the other day for the first time, and loved the air-moving punch that is missing from the CLR experience. However, the downside was also very transparent... Having to stand 6-7 feet away from my rig in order to hear myself. We compared the Kemper with my friend's Blackstar head into the same cab, and as I suspected the head produced much more oomph despite being harder to dial in (rolling off nearly all the treble and some of the mids).

I would still like to try the Kemper through a good 2x12. Played a real Friedman BE-100 into a matching cab last week and the room-filling sound couldn't be matched by my BE profile into my CLR.

• My KPA power head has all in I need. Depending on the situation
    I use it live with IEM or for fun and practise with a guitar cab oor my monitors in studion.

This might seem like a strange question but I realise that some folks may have invested in the Kemper primarily for studio use. I'm curious because although I'm very happy with what my Kemper does, after ten years of gigging with an Axe-FX, I find I miss the analogue experience of a real amp and pedal setup. I wondered whether any other Kemper users have also felt this?

• The other aspect to this is that it seems much harder to generate the same natural harmonic feedback with a FRFR monitor like the CLR than a guitar cabinet. Not only does my CLR appear resistant to feedback but the overtones are often shrill, odd sounding screeches rather than the usual harmonic intervals which come out easily with a guitar cabinet. While I don't often need this kind of guitar/cabinet interaction, I miss it when I do.

• Why direct from the CLR? Why not direct from the Kemper?

It's exactly the same signal either way, but just more convenient to tap into the XLR out on the monitor than to try to connect to the back of the Kemper rack inside a dark rack case.

The other aspect to this is that it seems much harder to generate the same natural harmonic feedback with a FRFR monitor like the CLR than a guitar cabinet. Not only does my CLR appear resistant to feedback but the overtones are often shrill, odd sounding screeches rather than the usual harmonic intervals which come out easily with a guitar cabinet. While I don't often need this kind of guitar/cabinet interaction, I miss it when I do.

Like burningyen said, with volume there's no trouble getting the feedback. If you are getting unwanted highs in the feedback you perhaps can EQ filter them out.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

WTF blow the tweeters with a guitar? First time I heard this

when you play with distortion it causes alot of high frequency harmonics , in the old days especially before decent cab sims the waveform looks almost square which means alot more current is delivered to the tweeters with all the high frequency content not bieng rolled off , and they go poof

so guitar direct in the pa got a bad reputation

• 50 W and 15 W hand wired tube amp (Jean Pierre Le Roux , made in South Africa ) 2x12 mesa Cab , 1x12 Green Back cab, BB preamp , 2 compressors (one Boss one Kelly's) , Kelly moded Wah and OD ,plus classic Boss Octaver .
    This is what I use with Kemper-but hang on - I am using it ONLY with few profiles, being PW Softegg's (Blues Driver to be specific !!!!) on the first place , and then few others .

No real amp or Kemper profile can beat this tone, at least that I am aware of , please correct my own taste :P .

With all of the rest of profiles , I use ONLY Kemper , it seems to be enough .

So , I need more PW Sovtek profiles, that's all, except thinking to by a real Sovtek amp .

This might be because , in my case , MUSIC is on the first place, playing guitar on intuitive way come second , then guitars them selves come next and only then amps and digital toys on the last , but not least .

If one think too much ,one might miss all of the above and start to think that Kemper is a purpose ,instead of Music and Playing Guitar.

Kemper is a toy , a fricking good toy , I mean the best digital toy out there to be precise. :thumbup: , but no more and no less.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 4 times, last by Rescator ().