Laptop recommendation

• Hi Campers,

I am currently looking at laptops for music production. Besides the recommendations of the plug in brands I use I would love to hear some user experiences. I am using this stuff:

• NI Komplete Ultimate
    • Slate Drums
    • XLN Drums & Keys
    • Spectrasonics Trilian
    • Izotope Alloy & Ozone
    • Scarlett 6i6
    • KPA (Device that dublicates guitar amps digitally, not that common yet, but you might hear of it some day)

My desktop PC has problems running the latest NI stuff and I feel it's time for upgrading. Since I want to stay mobile it has to be a mobile device.
    Simple question: Is an I5 strong enough? Does a cheapo Laptop like the Lenovo stuff work for that kind of applicatopn? Or is this just wishful thinking...

As you can see I'm not deep into it yet, so answers can be very general, too. Just looking for starting points. Maybe I should add that I don't care for high end displays, so here money can be saved maybe.

ThxALot :)

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Simple question: Is an I5 strong enough? Does a cheapo Laptop like the Lenovo stuff work for that kind of applicatopn? Or is this just wishful thinking..

I have I5 (surface Pro 3)
    At the moment I do not feel Performance problems. I am satisfied with this. I have a removeable tastatur and a Bluetooth mouse. I works also as tablet(13,3")
    I did not install so much.
    Rig manager, Tabledit, Guitar Pro 6 , Band in the Box 2016 (reduced Version without Real tracks) ,Real band, Audacity, Kontakt 5 and some editors for Line6 Variax, Line6 Pod editor and Roland SD50.
    A lot of Midis and of course some office application(open office) for administration my music files.
    Naturally I7 would be better, but I think more important would be a bigger SSD-drive.
    For my 128 GB (Drive C) I have to take care for Space. I use an additional 128GB mikro SD card for user Data.

• I have a Macbook Pro (i7, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD). I bought it used on Ebay for 1/3 of the price of a new one. It works great.
    It's my first Mac and I'm thinking of ditching Windows because of how much I like this laptop. With my Tripleplay software I'm able to get
    latency down to .4ms (that's point 4) with no stuttering or dropouts.

You get what you pay for and I wouldn't bother with anything less than i7.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Hi Harry,

thx for replying so quickly. Will check back to you asap, just finished work and right off to rehearsal... bs

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I have a Macbook Pro (i7, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD). I bought it used on Ebay for 1/3 of the price of a new one. It works great.
    It's my first Mac and I'm thinking of ditching Windows because of how much I like this laptop. With my Tripleplay software I'm able to get
    latency down to .4ms (that's point 4) with no stuttering or dropouts.

You get what you pay for and I wouldn't bother with anything less than i7.

Same config here. I'm all Mac when producing music.

• Besides the OS, there is the form factor to consider too. I sold my Macbook Air to get a Surface Pro 3 and I'm very happy with that decision. Having a fully functional computer in tablet form is pretty awesome. It has all the advantages of a tablet, but can use "software", and not just "apps". Last rehearsal I had my Surface clipped to my mic stand running "Toaster". Running a DAW with a touch screen is like having a built-in control surface. Just grab a fader on screen, hit stop, etc.

Now I sometimes find myself touching my monitor in the studio now to move a fader. It doesn't work there. :)

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Make the platform decision first and tell us your budget!

Hi,

thank you all for your opinions. I was down with flu, so I'm a bit late... sry.

Well to be honest, I'm more on the windows side, since I think if you get a good working device, you get more for the money. I'm used to windows at home, at work... I think apple is just too expensive. On the other hand, I don't care that much for one brand or another (This does not count for Fender and Kemper^^), so if the offer is right, the brand is right. The drummer of my former band has an (what I call) "apple-house". Everything is controlled via apple devices, apple software... it's a bit scary. I assume, they know all about him and his family. But he doesn't care, so... :)

Budget, hm... Friend of mine bought a laptop (windows) for 1100€ and this thing is top notch. I read some reviews and the magazines all say the same. It has an I7, SD hardrive and enough RAM. Unfortunately, I forgot the correct device identification name, so I have to ask him for that before I can post a link. Well, yes, that would be an ok price of course.

The Surface Pro Klappy suggested is very interesting, too, as I need a tablet also. Will definitely have a look at these.

Other than that I can sum up, that actually all of you recommend an I7, right? So, this will be the way, since a new laptop should handle future updates released for my stuff also.

Thanky you very much gentlemen. It is always an inspiration talking to you. You have been of a great help.

Have a nice day all
    Alex

• Not that I want to start a discussion about this, but Apple knowing everything is pretty irrelevant when Google also knows everything and maybe more. :P

A Surface Pro will cost you a lot of money if you want an i7 and a lot of RAM, by the way. If you're looking at those as an option, I'd suggest looking at the Dell XPS line as well. Their Inspiron 7000 series might be worth looking into as well.

• Not that I want to start a discussion about this, but Apple knowing everything is pretty irrelevant when Google also knows everything and maybe more. :P

A Surface Pro will cost you a lot of money if you want an i7 and a lot of RAM, by the way. If you're looking at those as an option, I'd suggest looking at the Dell XPS line as well. Their Inspiron 7000 series might be worth looking into as well.

Haha, I personally use DuckDuckGo :)

You're right about the price factor for the Surface. I will check out the dell site, too, thanks for the tip. One machine I found matching the suggestions so far is this one:

http://www.amazon.de/Asus-GL55…F8&qid=1454498036&sr=1-15

• Hi mates,

a while ago I got some helpful hints from you. I ended up with this one:

http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Aspi…cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

What confuses me:

The upper part (with the display) is somehow not really centred. It's about 1mm to the left, so when closed, the upper part is about 1mm over the edge on the left and the other way round at the other side of the laptop. Is this in an usual range of manufacturing? Is this a reason to return it? How's the chance the next one will be correctly manufactured? I'm really missing any experience here, so asking you guys. Sry for the bad quality of the pic, I hope it works nevertheless.. though it's not good to see, I hope you get the idea. Some friends say return it, others say keep it. Don't know. ?( if this is an issue which justifies returning it.

Thx a lot!

Images

• You CAN record on a PC laptop, but to get one that will be worth it would cost you over $3000

You can get a used Macbook for under $1800 that would be better. And last you longer. Is more stable.

Cheap PC (under $1800) laptops last a few years. Typically 2-3 years. Mac lasts up to 5 and over.

Edited 2 times, last by db9091 ().