I need advice for a small pair of monitors

• I need recommendation for a pair of monitors to use at home.

I need something small, because I really can't use too much volume in my apartment and I already have my amps and attenuator if I want to make noise anyway. Something barely over the level of loud conversation basically.

I've been playing through a good set of headphones for years now and I'm getting tired of it..I'd really like to find the right set of small speakers, expecially when I listen to music and play over a track with the kemper.

I'd be nice if it's something on the cheap side (since I'd be looking at something really small) but I don't want to sacrifice quality too much. I already have a set of M-Audio but I really, really hate those. They're way too bass heavy and I can't stand bass heavy sounds.

Thanks a lot.

• Got these recenty and I'm very happy with them regarding both size AND sound:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

All inputs plus bluetooth can be used simultaneously which is great for backing tracks. I use them for mixing and later run the mix through my tv soundsystem to see if it works. And it works great. And the laptop for work is connected via bluetooth, so I can use it for music listening as well without the need of plugging cables around.

I gave up my (medicore) 8" speakers for the IKs. They can be placed way closer to the ears (because of the size) which results in a more homogenous sound image. If you have another main speaker for your KPA for turning VERY loud and punchy, they can only be recommended for desktop use. Still, they sound very pleasing with the KPA.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Wow these are super interesting. I like the bluetooth connectivity with my computer. I'd definitely enjoy the cable-free connection.

• The frequency response of these is about as flat as a pancake, which is great. I'd love to see an 8" version in order to properly reproduce the low-end, as these have a cut-off at 55Hz which makes it difficult to mix with. But for guitar practice, these look like a viable choice.

• I'd love to see an 8" version in order to properly reproduce the low-end, as these have a cut-off at 55Hz which makes it difficult to mix with.

Correct, they go down to 55Hz but I feel this is enough to mix a proper bass. Seems like what I hear on these simply works on my 5.1 system where I have the subbass added. (This was the big questionmark though.) Mixes on my former 8" for some reason always were way too boomy. As for the 8" version of the IKs, I feel this is a bit apart from the idea of being "micro". ^^

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited once, last by Fireloogie ().

• Correct, they go down to 55Hz but I feel this is enough to mix a proper bass.

In my opinion, it depends on what you're mixing. For example, if your stuff is going to be played in a club, you really need to hear below 50Hz. For the majority of styles I mix, my Mackie's are pretty accomodating(down to 37Hz), though I typically roll-off anything below 40Hz.

• In my opinion, it depends on what you're mixing. For example, if your stuff is going to be played in a club, you really need to hear below 50Hz.

I'm with you. Nevertheless, even mixes of eletronic music with a lot of subbass going on work on huger systems when mixed with the IKs, where I actually don't hear much subbass. Something is right about them which is why I keep them. I (try to) avoid masking effects with the help of visualizing tools in addition to just "listening", maybe this should be mentioned here.

• I'm with you. Nevertheless, even mixes of eletronic music with a lot of subbass going on work on huger systems when mixed with the IKs, where I actually don't hear much subbass. Something is right about them which is why I keep them. I (try to) avoid masking effects with the help of visualizing tools in addition to just "listening", maybe this should be mentioned here.

It's just me but I don't like flying blind and don't trust mixing the super lows without being able to hear them. My spectrum analyzer is good for pinpointing problem areas, but I only use it tandem with my ears. For me, these look like great practice monitors. I'd be averse to doing any serious mixing on them though, but again, that's just me. If they made an 8" version, I'd probably buy them.

• but I only use it tandem with my ears

Would be great if they released a matching sub for the Micros using the same dsp technology to keep it small. 10cm x 10cm, sitting hidden somewhere under the desk. :rolleyes:

• No XLR or 1/4" inputs though, that would rule them out of my requirements at any rate.

I think for a cheap solution, the Yamaha HS5 is probably the best all-rounder.

• No XLR or 1/4" inputs though, that would rule them out of my requirements at any rate.

According to IK this is because of the size. Yes, one has to consider.

• So, I'm ordering the IK multimedia tomorrow (thomann didn't have them in stock until the 16th)

One question tho, regarding connection to the Kemper. I will buy an extention cable because the monitors will be placed quite far from the Kemper. If I want to connect these to the Kemper WITHOUT going through an audio interface, what extention cable do I need?

The monitors have RCA inputs and come with a rca - 1/8" stereo cable. Also there's a 4 pin XLR input.

Should I get a Female 3 pin XLR cable to male rca? Or a female 3 pin xlr to a male 4 pin? Or possibly an extension cable with one end 1/4" (stereo?) and the other a female 1/8"?

Pros and cons? I don't really need stereo effects but I do need for the Kemper sound to come out of both speakers...

• I'm not sure if the right speaker has the same connections as the left speaker. If there's only one input, you'll have to forego stereo sound, as you can only feed one Kemper output to the speaker.

BTW, that's not a four pin XLR, that looks like some kind of connection to connect the left speaker to the right one without having two separate cables (assuming the right speaker has the same connections). You can't use an XLR with that, they only have three pins.

If the left and right speaker have the same connections, you can use a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from both stereo outputs on the Kemper into the monitors.

• The speakers do not have independent connections.

[Blocked Image: https://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hub/media/1001/11537/cp_768_iloudmm_points_front.jpg]

So I can either use the RCA inputs or the aux input. I think the best way would be to connect two female XLR from the kemper to the RCA inputs but I can't find a cable that's long enough.

If I use the 1/4" jack monitor output of the kemper and connect it to the stereo jack of the rca/jack cable of the speakers I should be able to have the Kemper come out of both monitors, right?

• You'll need to connect the speakers using the "link to R speaker" 4-pin cable. From what I've seen online, XLR cables have two RCA outputs, so I'm not sure you'll get a complete signal if you hook up only one XLR cable to the monitor. Not sure whether you can fix one end of each XLR-RCA cable, you may see tonal degradation or a drop in volume.

If you only use one cable, it won't be true stereo, you'll have a mono sound on each speaker, because you're only feeding the monitors a mono signal.

Scratch that, there are single XLR to RCA male cables. You should be able to get a left and right channels on both speakers.