If you could purchase just one Kemper profile pack, which one would it be?

• Hello,

I recently purchased a Kemper (currently on its way), and was looking at purchasing a single profile pack for the time being.

If you could purchase just one Kemper profile pack (no matter how expensive), which one would you purchase?

For example, Top Jimi sells an "Everything Pack" for $259.99, Michael Wagener sells an "Uber Pak" for 240.00 and so on.

As for myself, I play hard rock (using a Les Paul with standard humbuckers), but would like a profile pack with a variety of amps, especially in regards to frequency distribution (in other words a profile pack which covers a lot of ground on the frequency scale).

I was initially leaning towards Michael Wagener's "Uber Pak", given all his studio experience / hardware at his disposal, I'd imagine his profiles would sound the most professional.

However, after reading up on various forums, it seems that MBritt's profiles are the top choice for the majority of users.

What worries me about MBritt's profiles is that they seem geared for more live use, where I on the other hand, have no intention of using my Kemper for live use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Nelson

• I'm not sure why the poll I placed didn't show up, but here were some of my options:

1. Michael Wagener's Uber Pak
    2. Top Jimi's "Everything" Pack
    3. The Amp Factory's Elite “Everything” Bundle
    4. Guidorists' Kemper Amp Profiles-Big Package No.1
    5. Bert Meulendijk's Full Pack
    6. ERGLabs - Complete Bundle
    7. All MBritt's Profiles (assuming he'd sell them as a single pack).
    8. Other

Nelson

• This is really a question that no one else can answer for you.

BUT, you can answer it for yourself, and for FREE.

When you get your Kemper, listen to the Rigs from Commercial sellers that are available for free in the "Kemper Rig Packs", downloadable from the Kemper website, or Included in the free Rig Manager software.

There are also free demonstration rigs available directly from each of the commercial sellers who are not included in the Rig Packs, but the Rig Packs are a great place to start.

• You can't get better advice than this. :thumbup:

• Hello Paults,

Just to be certain, are you saying that I could demo all of MBritt's profiles (which are sold on his website), through the Rig Manager?

If so, that's great to know, as I had no idea the Rig Manager allowed me to demo every commercially available Kemper profile.

Thank you,
    Nelson

• No, not all of them - but the rig packs in the rig manager give a great overview of the "ear" of the sellers that are listed there. It's the right place to start. Also, once you find out which seller seems to be the best match for your ears, I'd advice you to just buy a couple of smaller packs of likely amps - and see if it still matches your expectations. There's usually no refund policy :)

• No, not all of them - but the rig packs in the rig manager give a great overview of the "ear" of the sellers that are listed there. It's the right place to start. Also, once you find out which seller seems to be the best match for your ears, I'd advice you to just buy a couple of smaller packs of likely amps - and see if it still matches your expectations. There's usually no refund policy :)

This. I would advise against buying some sort of "complete pack" until you get the vibe of different commercial profilers (doing so with their free pack). Then again, no need to spend $250 to find good profiles; if you go that route, a good 50-or-so pack or a couple of amps will get you a large variety of tones and getting more of the same is sometimes redundant. And I often still find free stuff on the exchange that kills some of the commercial profiles I bought.

• Try all free packs at the Kemper site first. Also check up the Sinmix threads for his free pack, good for metal, and you may perhaps get a few packs by Guido, since they are very good for hard rock and also a cheap alternative. Later, you may decide what to buy, if necessary. Lots of free stuff around.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• If you are looking for a certain sound find out what amps and cabs pros use to get that sound, then find out who has that profile and listen to demos of the profile. Check rig exchange first without tweaking any of the settings on the profile. Check out sinmix.pl his profiles are incredible.

• I have lots of profiles from commercial resellers, but most are from freebies. I agree with all the posters advising that's the first place to start to get a vibe of the quality and tendencies of the profiler. Also, if you know what kind of amp you're after, you can always audition plenty of really good profiles on the exchange for free.

High gain is the hardest thing for a digital device. You tend to either end up with boomy low end or palm mutes that sound like static. I've found Guidorist and SinMix to be tops for heavy tones with what I've tried in avoiding both those issues. I've also heard great tones from Chop Tones and The Amp Factory.

While I love the Michael Britt and Top Jimi profiles I have for vintage tones, I have them as sort of a novelty. For a band setting I find them a little too dark and sometimes feels like they have a blanket draped over the speaker.

As a freebie, I suggest trying Steveness' JCM800 on the exchange. Maybe the best free profile I've encountered and perfect for hard rock.

• MBritt Colonial Pack

I've held off on recommending anything 'cause it's very much a matter of taste, and I stand behind @paults, @Sharry and @Michael_dk's advice.

However, when I first encountered the thread's title, the very first thing that sprung to mind was the Colonial pack. This thing's so organically-alive, woody, classic-and-modern sounding and everything else rolled into one, especially for late-'70s->'90s rock, that it's ridiculous, IMHO. The standout set of Profiles for a single amp out of everything I've auditioned thus far. Great call, @chantysboy7!