Into the void aka You moron, you traded away the Kemper

• If you think that Kemper is that Bad, how come you sell profiles created by the Kemper? :wacko:
    Maybe you haven't heard of the term marketing yet :D

or maybe you're a brilliant marketer who's selling one profile with different Impulse responses charging a hundred dollars per pack of Impulse responses :evil:

I know you said in one of your posts that you can fool everybody by using impulse responses and that's why I never bought any of your profiles, You're marketing tricks didn't work for me :P

Now we're entering flame territory guys, and I got warn you that personal attacks are not called for and will just lead to more bitterness.

You said yourself, @Dean_R, that no one should believe marketing. Sin had a a valid point when he noted there was a change to the Kemper's Low end response in an update that came after the video where Sneap said he uses the Kemper and it was just like the amp. He said this in connection to marketing.

Maybe Sneap is lyin' like Slash was lyin'? I'm pretty sure the Kemper has not replaced his expensive studio amps and he doesn't use the Kemper for his clients like it's made out to be in the video.

It doesn't detract from the Kemper in my eyes, and not other users' eyes either. That's what I fail to understand. Why does the thought of people using other gear affect you so much to the point you have to disrespect any other method of recording guitar?

I've never said my choice is a good one, ffs. I just need to try something different, there's no harm being done.

No point attacking Sinmix's profiles either. I use them and they're good. There are other users who have said they use them too. If you didn't buy them because of a personal dislike for Sim, that's your choice.

Just don't drag this all into the mud with slurs. Sinmix has already made the community aware about his views that the Kemper has a "signature" in the tone. Nothing new there.

• I had the toaster about 4-5 months - loved it but got all squirrely when I saw I could sell it and try the Fractal AX8 because I.... I don't know. But that's what I did. 7 months later that AX8 is sold and I just picked up a Power Rack. I knew I'd be back.

And FWIW this 600 watt dude is super light. I thought for certain I'd been sent a non-powered version when I was opening it up.

A good choice! The Kemper is amazing! It trumps all the other digital devices out there to my ears!

AJ, thank you for responding a couple o' pages back.

I still stand by what I said - the mic's sound different to me. I haven't tried a '58 with the grille removed 'though; for my way of thinking it'd be impractical to have to do this when one can purchase a '57 for peanuts.

Thanks again, man.

Makes sense to me, Nicky, I have never tried this out myself actually except once when I was recording some weird "tone engine" I put together. I will likely pick up a 57 and a Royer too, though I'm also contemplating one of those Steven Slate mic emulators... ah, never mind, another discussion for another day.

Reading through and noticed you said you use 1 tone per show, maybe 2.

I can't imagine why you'd need a Kemper for 1 sound. That's what tube amps are for. I think you've made the right choice on the amp.

Curious as to what genre enables that?!?

Well, if you have a studio, for example, you can kick serious ass with a Kemper. Just find the right profile for the right band and record.

Or perhaps you can't get access to a particular amp, like say a Dumble. Capture its soul and take it on the road.

A third possibility is that you're in multiple bands, like I am. It really is great to have thousands to choose from.

• Ah and also @nightlight I found torpedo to be comparable to kemper in terms of latency (well, "immediacy"). Kemper probably had a slightly less "immediate" response to my perception, whether this is latency or not. . Again, no real tests, and I may well be wrong about latency itself.

These are some great insights, Dimi, can't wait to try this stuff out for myself.

For the record, I get along with lots of fear myself and I have heard stuff recorded with things like PODs that are real sweet.

• Makes sense to me, Nicky, I have never tried this out myself actually except once when I was recording some weird "tone engine" I put together. I will likely pick up a 57 and a Royer too, though I'm also contemplating one of those Steven Slate mic emulators... ah, never mind, another discussion for another day.

Good call on the '57 and Royer, matey.

Oh, and there's nothin' wrong with the Slate VMS either. As a bonus, you end up with a super-flat mic that could be useful for all manner of purposes.

• Good call on the '57 and Royer, matey.
    Oh, and there's nothin' wrong with the Slate VMS either. As a bonus, you end up with a super-flat mic that could be useful for all manner of purposes.

Yes, based on the reviews by some users on this forum, I was really tempted, especially after learning that they could be used as a preamp for an instrument as well. They are available locally too, which is a bonus.

I also think I'm going to finally succumb to the sound advice of users on this forum and subscribe to Slate's Everything Bundle. I realised that a lot of guys using the Kemper are not just going in direct to their interface, they're using a preamp like they would if it was a real amplifier. The things you wish you knew years ago...

• Well, the Stale stuff's applied in the DAW non-destructively, just like any other plugins.

As long as you've got a clean, flat preamp for the mic (that's why it's included), and a half-decent interface, you're good-to-go.

I'm really interested in something like that because I think the analog stuff will be harder for me to make the best use of. Like you said, with a plugin, I am free to tweak after the fact. I remember Sinmix doing a partial mix for that song I had asked for mixing help with and I later figured out that running the profile into a preamp would allow me to warm it up and accentuate certain frequencies. That's amazing knowledge to have for someone who used to just record the Kemper into a channel and record. Makes sense, after all, that's what you do when recording a miced up guitar cab as well.

• Yes, it is quite possible that Slash didn't use an attenuator :D I've also heard he didn't use a Gibson on Appetite, just a cheap clone because he sold his own guitar to survive. That lyin' Slash.
    At the same time, you discredit the results of Pete Thorn as well, so I'm not sure whether that is a reflection of their intent to deceive. On the other hand, perhaps it is a reflection of your own skills, just something you should think about. Not saying that you couldn't do it right, but it's a little difficult when someone says this and someone says that and I have no experience with either to believe either party. In such a situation, best to have an open mind and a healthy sense of scepticism.

I didn't discredit anyone or any product, I'll say it again, All these products are tools and in the right hands (anyone who's willing to learn the tool) will get viable professional results.

In regards to Pete Thorn, I have a lot of respect for him. I've seen him demo, Helix, The AXE FX, Kemper, his personal IRs, and God knows what else, they all sounded realistic and viable.

I didn't say marketing is bad, just pointed out that some will get the wrong message, thinking they will sound like the artist who endorses the product which is not necessarily true.

For your current situation. even you yourself have the answer in the heading of this same thread and I quote from you "
    You moron, you traded away the Kemper" because in your situation. KPA makes the most sense even though it's not the only solution. :) I realize that people will be people and want to be irrational and try for themselves just for the sake of experience itself .

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• This is a discussion and people should be able to handle the tough questions. There's no slurs or mud , just valid real questions.

If SinMix doesn't believe the KPA is accurate, then he needs to explain why he sells profiles where buyers presume that the Profile maker took the time to make the Profile accurate to the AMP.

If he doesn't want to explain, then he's leaving me and every other kemper user to make our own conclusion.

My conclusion is that he's interested in showing that his Impulse responses to be comparable of the results you would get from the Kemper so he can sell more impulse responses to users of the many other modeling products including guitar recording products mentioned in this thread.

He just posted one more thread of comparison where he includes a track using the Kemper profile EQd to sound the same or vice versa of the other products. I asked him the tough questions about his questionable methods of capturing his impulse responses and his bias (not the software) against the Kemper and he didn't answer yet.

Peavey 6505 vs Line6 Helix vs Kemper vs TSE X50 [SinMix Comparison]

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• I didn't discredit anyone or any product, I'll say it again, All these products are tools and in the right hands (anyone who's willing to learn the tool) will get viable professional results.
    In regards to Pete Thorn, I have a lot of respect for him. I've seen him demo, Helix, The AXE FX, Kemper, his personal IRs, and God knows what else, they all sounded realistic and viable.

I didn't say marketing is bad, just pointed out that some will get the wrong message, thinking they will sound like the artist who endorses the product which is not necessarily true.

For your current situation. even you yourself have the answer in the heading of this same thread and I quote from you "
    You moron, you traded away the Kemper" because in your situation. KPA makes the most sense even though it's not the only solution. :) I realize that people will be people and want to be irrational and try for themselves just for the sake of experience itself .

Ah, I forget that when I say shoot someone or kill something on the forums, people take it waaaaayyy too literally.

I suppose your complaint about Sinmix could be extended to Pete Thorn, like I just saw someone post on TGP with a video of someone who did a bad recording of the Suhr RL and asking whether Pete was sweetening up his recording somehow. I've actually yet to see him demonstrate a product he isn't endorsing and saying it's crap - and he endorses a whole lot of gear - so there's a bit of a conflict of interest in his videos, I'd say. Like the Rockcrusher some of our users were saying was very bad:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Didn't you yourself say that attenuators impact tone negatively? But obviously, come on, who wants their products to sound bad, right?

So as far as Sinmix, more marketing. Take it with a pinch of salt, caveat emptor, whatever. All I know is that a lot of people are happy with his profiles and there are tonnes of choices out there. So your claim that he's misleading people is a bit, um, misleading. And you clearly indicated earlier that you don't buy his profiles, so I'm assuming you didn't try his profiles.

In that respect, you seem to be without much of a leg to be standing on your assertions. AFAIK, his profiles are not just talked about on this forum, but on other forums, and I think his IRs are used by more than a handful of people as well. I know for a fact that he's one of the most generous commercial profilers here, he has given so many profiles for free to the community.

He has clearly stated that he thinks that there's a signature to the Kemper high gain tones. I couldn't hear it, I assume you can't hear it. Many of his paying customers can't hear it. So who cares if the IRs or the amp sims sound like the Kemper. You seem to be more worried that everybody else is on the road that you're on, rather than being worried about, and I paraphrase "focusing on your music".

It's interesting that you say I'm irrational because no one else has been going at me hammer and tongs on this thread about my gear decisions. It's uncalled for and though I'd hate to say this on a Kemper forum screams "fanboi", altered spelling and all.

Believe me, I don't have a hidden agenda or something, I was just informing the good folks on the forum that I was going to try something new. Kind of like leaving your high paying job and going on to do social work... It's not irrational, it's the joy of life. I don't have to tread the beaten path just because it was there for me, I want to explore what else there is.

Mad mixing skills as usual. He didn't say anywhere that he was not processing the audio. It clearly says "Mix comparison". Take that as you will, the fact remains that he got very similar results out of all those solutions.

Did you have a preference for any of those tones though? I definitely did.

• very similar results out of all those solutions.

He did get very similar results.

I explained in his thread why i think B is kemper.

I will eat my guitars if B is not kemper, live on youtube.

• Lol, now that's something I'd pay to see haha

I'm actually considering doing that in any case now.

A man's gotta do what he gotta do.

I need a jcm 800..

"Will eat guitars for JCM 800"

:D

• ". Take that as you will, the fact remains that he got very similar results out of all those solutions.

Did you have a preference for any of those tones though? I definitely did.

That's my whole point is that he got very similar results from all the solutions because he didn't take the time to utilize the KPA or use one of the many much better sounding profiles of the 6505.

I didn't care for any of Sin's tones at all and I posted in that thread a link to a profile of a 6505 that I got from my first result of youtube search.

That profile I linked to sounded way more lively and musical than any of the tracks posted by Sin.

And what do you know, the video I randomly linked to turned out to be that of Jake Pitts from Black Veil Brides a current rock band who sells tens of thousands of records and turned out according to dimi that both guitarists in the band use the Kemper,.

What do you have to say about that AJ? 8o . Are you regretting trading your Kemper more now :evil: or you want me to wish you luck and send you on your merry way like everyone else did?

Edited 9 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Nobody ever said that top notch artists & recording acts don't use the Kemper, but in the flip side more don't use the KPA than do. Does that make it good or bad? No. Gear is gear and tools are just tools, only a poor artist blames them.

Perisonally, I've tried thousands and thousands and thousands of profiles in endless frustration. I find SinMix to have among the best, and his profiles often have full body dynamics and life that feel like an amp to me. So many profiles "sound ok" but are flat, dynamicless, dry, and useless. But Sin also doesn't say his profiles are 100% accurate, that would be a lie and sellers claiming so are full of it, but he always says "sounds good to me" or "great sound IMO". I don't need pristine accuracy, I just want something that is useful, and I've sadly found 99% of profiles I've tried to have one issue or another that I just can't live with. Sin makes quality and if you choose not to try any of his profiles, that's fine and dandy, you're only needlessly depriving yourself.

• @ColdFrixion Thank you for the insight. The Kemper aside, you'd prefer a real amp into something like the Reactive Load into an IR or into one of those Torpedoes over running an amp into a cabinet and micing it up? I mean personally in a home situation versus paying for a studio?

In my situation, I'd much prefer a real amp and Reactive Load + IR, primarily because the results are far more consistent. If you need to punch-in on a track two weeks after the fact, good luck getting the same tone when mic'ing up the amp yourself. For mixing, a fresh set of ears.at a studio can be a good thing. However, a studio can also be advantageous for people who have trouble making firm decisions or committing to ideas, that is unless money is no object.

But this experiment as I think of it is less about "having a good sound" than learning more about the craft that most of us have as a fun diversion or hobby.

While I can appreciate wanting to learn the craft, and I can only speak for myself here, at the end of the day it's about the sound, because that's all your listeners are going to hear.

Things had got so serious that I had finished 8 out of 10 songs on my demo album. I was burning the midnight oil, spending all my time recording DIs, auditioning on the Kemper, recording, testing FX, redoing things, the works. And I think I thought at some point during the process, "What's more important than tone?" Having fun, I guess. The Kemper had become... boring, for want of a better explanation, I'm sick and tired of it.

A number of older, established artists have discussed the necessity of making firm decisions and giving yourself a time limit when recording, namely because it's so easy not to have to commit to anything when recording digitally.

• Perisonally, I've tried thousands and thousands and thousands of profiles in endless frustration. I find SinMix to have among the best

Your guitar and pickups are going to play a decent role in determining how a profile sounds. With my guitar and pickups, most of the profiles I've tried from Sin sound fairly thin and lack body.

• Nobody ever said that top notch artists & recording acts don't use the Kemper, but in the flip side more don't use the KPA than do. Does that make it good or bad? No. Gear is gear and tools are just tools, only a poor artist blames them.

Perisonally, I've tried thousands and thousands and thousands of profiles in endless frustration. I find SinMix to have among the best, and his profiles often have full body dynamics and life that feel like an amp to me. So many profiles "sound ok" but are flat, dynamicless, dry, and useless. But Sin also doesn't say his profiles are 100% accurate, that would be a lie and sellers claiming so are full of it, but he always says "sounds good to me" or "great sound IMO". I don't need pristine accuracy, I just want something that is useful, and I've sadly found 99% of profiles I've tried to have one issue or another that I just can't live with. Sin makes quality and if you choose not to try any of his profiles, that's fine and dandy, you're only needlessly depriving yourself.

I've tried his free ones. My fair assessment is that h'es a one trick pony. He tries to capture a profile of the sound that fits in the mix based on what he himself wrote in this forum. His profiles are supposed to be further mix ready than other profiles, that means heavy low pass filtering an very eq heavy sculpted sound to fit in a modern metal scenario That;s very limited use if you don't play the detuned or seven, eight strings guitar etc.

Furthermore he's really big on the effect of the the impulse response on the sound. I don't doubt that It's a fact that the Impulse response contributes a very good percentage of the tone. However, he indicated in this other thread about the 6505 that he captured the impulse response using the Power Amp of the 6505.

This is the worse possible way to capture an impulse response because the Power Amp of the 6505 is as far from being a transparent Power Amp as can be.

In capturing an impulse response using a less than transparent Power Amp is the equivalent of a mortal Sin (no pun intended).

The 4x12 impulse response he captured heavily colored by the Power Amp of the 6505, has very little resemblance to the real 4x12. He might as well stuck the mics in front of an old transistor radio small speaker, or maybe an Ipod or Ipad small extension speaker and ran that through the power amp of the 6505 and the results would have been similar. I'm not sure if he knows that, but you don't call what he did an impulse response without making it very obvious and clear to everyone that this was how the Impulse was captured and it's Not an Accurate Impulse and that the results would be very unpredictable because there might be no way of removing that Power AMp color from the impulse afterwords.

I don't know how he captures his other Impulse responses but if he's not using an excellent transparent power amp, then those Impulse responses really should Not be called impulse responses of the speaker cabinets, because when someone who read impulse responses , the term IR, implies a dead accurate representation of the speaker and mic using convolution to represent how the speaker will sound, not how Sin thinks the speaker should sound after sculpting and adding Power Amp distortion to a speaker impulse.

So clearly this shows that Sin is not interested in Accuracy but rather a final finished polished sound to his likings that he can accomplish with any other tool including free Plugins If you like his sound, then it's all good. I personally don't hear anything that tickles my fancy, simple as that.

I know that Kemper is much more capable than what Sin is interested in exploring, so for him to use that to market his flavored Impulse responses and selectively post less than average clips of the KPA to compare with less than average doctored impulse responses, I'm going to call it how I see it. He can prove me wrong, this is a discussion Forum and this is IMHO.

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• This is Sinmix profile.. Mastodon track in drop C (so not that low).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tested other profiles in this mix too. Some of these sounded quite good in isolation.

But not within this mix for my taste. Sinmix kicked complete ass here, really, imho. What do you think about the tone here?

To relate this to the thread topic: I do think it's worth checking out @sinmix cab emulations, @nightlight, to use with real amps.

I will be doing a demo of his pack soon, every cab in it. And that's a lot. Also I will do it using a real tube amp ;) IMHO his cabs are super high quality and give you a great tonal palette to use with real amps.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().