Kemper live

• Hi,

Been using the kemper in a live environment for some time now, although everything sounds great in my studio (direct out left and right from the kpa to an interface to studio monitors) in a live situation I'm not happy with the tone.....live I take a feed from the direct out (left and right) to front of house and a feed from the monitor out to my stage monitor..... just doesn't sound great, am I missing something? Trying to workout if it's something I'm not doing in the output menu etc....

• 1. What type / size are your studio monitors? In my case I drive those into nasty distortion too easily but I only have 5" equipped JBL LSR305s.

I create my sounds on my DXR10, and I do it good and loud.

So far live, through a decent PA, the most I have to do is vary the global EQ.

2. What do you play through at rehearsals?

3. What tone don't you like? The monitor (and what is it).....FOH.....or both?

4. Have you listened to recordings of you live...and if so, have you compared to rehearsal recordings?

I use a wireless (Line 6 G30) and check my tone out front.

Cheers,
    Andy

• You have written that you use the direct out to foh. What about using the main outs left/ right to foh? Or do i missunderstood it?

My configuration is monitor out mono to my frfr monitor and main outs to foh. All with cab sim on.

Cheers
    Frank

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the input.....yeah sorry I run 2 xlrs from the main out to front of house (this could be any system as i move between theatre) then a jack cable from the monitor out to a Yamaha DBR10.......

Possibly could have answered the question already, I'm creating tones in the studio through studio monitors but I think adjusting/creating the tone at a live volume through the monitor maybe the way forward.....

Reading the manual there's all stuff about cab simulation in the output menu and originally thought it might be something to do with this...

Cheers

• It's a big difference between tweaking rigs for home recording than to live playing.
    For live use I can only recommend tweaking in rehearshal room at a loud level in band context. If you use thise tweaked rigs for bedroom level you will be suprised how they sound because you need less bass and more mids for live playing imho.

• It's a big difference between tweaking rigs for home recording than to live playing.
    For live use I can only recommend tweaking in rehearshal room at a loud level in band context. If you use thise tweaked rigs for bedroom level you will be suprised how they sound because you need less bass and more mids for live playing imho.

This .... many many times over.

In isolation, you want to feel the bottom end and the warmth of the lows in your tone. When you are live, this part of your tone (unless you are playing metal) gets sucked up by the kick and bass and what is left is mids and highs.

Too much highs and you get the classic "ice-pick-in-the-ear" sound that actually hurts people. You only need enough highs to add clarity to your tone. For guitars, mids are where its at.

• Mix your rigs through your DBR10 to sound the way you like them.
    • Switch to your studio monitors and create an output eq that makes your studio monitors sound as much like your live monitor speaker as possible, then write down these settings (It would be great if these could be saved as a named eq in the future CK :) ).
    • Use one or two rigs that you are very familiar with the tone on to tweak the main output eq to a pleasing tone before every gig.
    • Per venue (FOH setup), write down the main output eq you used for next time you play there.

Now, in theory, even if you create something with your studio monitors, it will sound very similar on your live rig as well.

• Since live EQ differs from home (better: guitar only) EQ, I use studio headphone and AUX In to tweak my profiles to backing tracks / songs. This works out of the box for each and every profile I use(d). By that you can place yourself very good in the mix, your neighbors stay your friends and your co-musicians do not get bored during rehearsal. (Imagine the keyboard player would tweal his sounds in rehearsal ... oh boy ...)

• Since live EQ differs from home (better: guitar only) EQ, I use studio headphone and AUX In to tweak my profiles to backing tracks / songs. This works out of the box for each and every profile I use(d). By that you can place yourself very good in the mix, your neighbors stay your friends and your co-musicians do not get bored during rehearsal. (Imagine the keyboard player would tweal his sounds in rehearsal ... oh boy ...)

That is a good idea, if it translates well to the live situation.

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• That is a good idea, if it translates well to the live situation.

It does. If you would feel the need you could tweak it further anyways but I never needed to. Using this approach you "simulate" the frequencies of the live band using a recording. I recommend to play along with the track using the Studio EQ. Just play with it a little bit and you will get the idea.