• Picked up this 5150 today. It's a face ripper, never owned one before... gotta try it with the KPA :thumbup:

Noice! I sold mine back in 2012 for a plane ticket to Texas to see Van Halen with DLR :D8o figured it may be one of the last chances.....

Hope you didn't shift your SLO though....?!

• Trade came through, so I snagged a Darkglass Microtubes 900.

My interface is busted, so I plugged the Darkglass into the return input of the Kemper and switched to reference amp mode within the profiler section.

And... Really digging my bass setup and sounds now. I always felt a bit unhappy with the bass sounds I was getting out of my B7K Ultra. This is pretty much the same thing, in terms of the controls available, but it sounds huge, and that's running DI without any cabinet.

I think one differentiator with the B7K is the fact that the blend switch is between the dirt section of the amp (either a VMT or a B3K) and a regular amp section. As far as profiling the B7K, you had to turn the blend all the way to one side, because your actual bass signal could not be profiled. With this box, you would be profiling the blend between the regular amp section and the dirt section.

I really enjoyed some of the sounds I was able to get with some fooling around before work. I was able to get some Lemmy sounding bass, some Flea sounds, some Frank Bello sounds... Not 100% accurate, but good enough for a cover band.

Would love to try it with through some IRs whenever I get the chance. something I sadly never tried with the B7K.

PS: Doesn't my bass look yummy, haha

• Got the U87 -> BAE DMP -> WA2A chain.

It's a pleasing setup. Less fighting to get a good sound. None of the sibilance of some cheaper bright condensers.
    Clear without being brittle.

I also hear what others say about higher end mics having less return for the money, sure, but its more than that.
    There is a more "mix ready" production, less problem frequency in the high end tone, more transparent through effects.

I like it. Would like an EQ. I'm curious about how the new Heritage Audio Elite Series Neve clone will sound ($899) Same components as the 1073, but just not hand wiring. Summer purchase? If it's anything special, I'll sell the BAE.

• Bass looks great :thumbup: but did you get any Bootsy Collins out of her? Glad your DGM900 is working for you :thumbup:

What's up with your interface? Thought it was a brand new Apollo, hopefully nothing too serious?

• Bass looks great :thumbup: but did you get any Bootsy Collins out of her? Glad your DGM900 is working for you :thumbup:
    What's up with your interface? Thought it was a brand new Apollo, hopefully nothing too serious?

Takes more than equipment a Bootsy Collins to make!

I do have some bass profiles for you guys though. They're on the Rig Exchange, look for Microtubes Clean and Microtubes B3K.

The digital inputs of the Apollo are made out of some really cheap plastic. Two of them broke when I tried to put in an optical cable and a third cracked. One of them worked as expected. Needless to say, I was really pissed off. I mean, a jack made of plastic? On a $2k+ device? Couldn't they just use metal like everybody else?

It's been sent back to the US for repair or replacement. The worst part is I cannot do my regular recording, just when I was getting into the swing of things. I can't seem to catch a break :(

• That's what I like about high end equipment, less bulls*&^, usually! Wonder how the Warm Audio EQP-WA Tube EQ would sound in your chain, it's a Pultec style Tube EQ.

EQP-WA:
    This is on my radar. Or shall I say "Reverb Lurk List" which they call "Feed". IF their WA2A is any comparison, it's gotta be amazing. The WA2A sounds like an LA2A, just have to fiddle with the settings differently. (it also sounded way better than my LA610) But..WA is not up to the same quality of build, hence the cheaper price. Not just the lack of hand-to-hand wiring which should be pretty sturdy, more the other little parts. So for a home studio, that's great. For a professional studio, you might have to expect repairs (ie lights, meter) and indeed, I've heard about them being returned for repairs. So you take a chance buying used.

For example, the WA-87 has a 1-ply mesh that is glued to the frame along it's edge. That glue is brittle and not any metal-to-metal epoxy, so it can crack apart because it's not really bonded well. The 1-ply grill no doubt affects the tone to the capsule differently than the U87 which is 3-ply, electrically bonded together and then after the concave shape is stamped out, it's SOLDERED to the frame! Not coming apart any time in your lifetime. That's why you can look at Neumanns from 50 years ago and they look fantastic.

In my comparison between them, the WA-87 sounded different, but not bad. Very usable, non-sibalent recording. And it's pretty cheap compared to a TLM-103 which is shrill and sibilant. (great for voice, breathy vocals and background high vocals tho. Hard to tame for main vocals.)

People are afraid of getting used gear, but Neumann's are built like tanks. I think that's really why they cost so much. You are buying longevity in the build as well as the sound.
    When buying used gear like a Warm Audio, I'd tend towards a private hobbyist rather than used from a big store. But you have to be careful about labels. People say "Mint" and it's got scratches on it. Reverb doesn't crack down on that, but it does allow you to return an "As Is" because they broke Reverb's description policy (well defined terms for Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Fair, Poor)

• Yes, Boots is one of a kind lol

Will check out the bass profiles for sure.

I'm surprised those inputs are so crappy too man, hope they sort that out and shoot you a few free plugs on top :thumbup:

• I kind of wanted a rack Reverb again but not want to spend a lot just yet. So I grabbed the TC Electronic M3000.
    I really liked my M-One XL (I could get that John Lennon Day in the Life reverb-delay) and many reverb units in that price range to double don't have delay.
    Also, if I liked the type of algorithm of the TC, I figured I should stick with the TC. Don't much like the Lexicon's I've heard from trialing their plugin.
    I like Eventide tho, but I'm looking for Vocals currently and I know what TC sounds like on Vocals.

I wanted to TRACK but not PRINT using my Apollo. Unfortunately, one of the downsides to Apollo is they are so cheap they don't have Digital OUTs.
    So I gotta go LINE out and OPTICAL back in. But I'm sure that will be fine for tracking and I can then setup a separate stereo track to print in case I like the finished product.
    If not, the Slate VerbSuite's M7 is rather nice, as are many others I have.

• tone dexter / helix lt / x3 pro

i just wanted to test the por x3 pro because of the mic preamps for a megaphone and echo effect on my voice live ... but i'm to lazy to tweak that out of the box it was okayish ...

the tone dexter was the best purchase ever ... honestly, if you have a kemper and / or play with your acoustic guitar live you should get one

with the helix lt i tried to replace my pedalboard ... i failed :D but line in it is superb