External OD suggestions

• I just sold a Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive and now I'm wondering OD to spend the money I earned on.

Any suggestions for a good OD on a regular budget? I keep hearing about the Maxon OD, so I'll keep an eye out for that if I can find one. But how about an Ibanez TS9? More readily available.

Or how about just a clean boost like a Fortin 33? That one is a bit pricey too. A Petty John?

I play metal, and I want to push my amps into sweeter territory, softening the bass resonance a bit while increasing mid range prominence and generally tighening things.

Give me some advice! :thumbup:

• Maxon is the best tube screamer for metal. Period. I purchased a used Ibanez ts and compared it with the Maxon and....what a dissapointment. Sold it quickly. The old classic Ibanez tubescreamers until 83 was licensed by Maxon.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Maxon is the best tube screamer for metal. Period. I purchased a used Ibanez ts and compared it with the Maxon and....what a dissapointment. Sold it quickly. The old classic Ibanez tubescreamers until 83 was licensed by Maxon.

Thanks for this. Do I want the Maxon TS9 or the 808? Both have popped up used over here, so I'll spring for one.

• I had a mxr evh 5150, I liked the built in gate. Plenty of gain to use with various profiles at different settings.

The Horizon Devices Precision Drive seems like it's a good investment too. It's on my , to get list.

I also rocked a EHX soul food in the beginning, usually on 10.

I'd like to hear someone's experience with any of the amp tweaker pedals, if there are any users that tried them with the kemper.

I bet that J Rockett Archer Eq pedal is the jamm tho.

• I tried an amp tweaker at a music store and that thing had tonnes of gain. If you're running into a clean amp, it was awesome, but I'm more keen on something like a boost/tone pedal. Don't want to add grit toy rigs through additional distortion.

• I tried an amp tweaker at a music store and that thing had tonnes of gain. If you're running into a clean amp, it was awesome, but I'm more keen on something like a boost/tone pedal. Don't want to add grit toy rigs through additional distortion.

I wonder how it would fair on a low setting of gain as like a boost/tone shaper. I'm sure it would work well on a clean profile with loads of gain, for sure.

Someday I hope to figure that low crunch with a mid gain pedal boost sound all dialed in.

• I can recommend the small green pedal in the 5th row (Ibanez TS Mini) :rolleyes:
    Honestly, the TS Mini has a true bypass, sounds killer and is my most used stomp box. The Maxon OD808 is sounding great too, but no true bypass (as far as I know).

What I really want to add is a Boss OD-1 (14 pin chip).

• If true bypass is a concern, you can always use a loop pedal...used these with Wahs and digtech whammys which are known to suck tone, plus you can switch on multi pedals with one stomp..

Having said that, never understood the point of a transistor based distortion pedal in front of a good quality valve amp...and that argument gets less with the Kemper as well as there are so many programmable tone, gain and volume options.

Not looking to start a debate on this but the Kemper cured my GAS of all outboard pedals ( I think I might have a tee shirt made of that..."Kemper, the amp that cures GAS")...

Always used the distortion in the amp and used an equaliser to boost for solos or an amp with 2 volumes ( ENGL Powerball/Invader)..