Master Mute/Direct Out tuner question

• I know this should be a simple question, but I couldn't find a direct answer anywhere...

because I can't see the remote that well on stage (and I'd rather to wear glasses on stage), I'm wondering about incorporating a rack tuner into my set up,
    but I can't give up an effects switch on the remote, so I would send to the Korg all the time via one of the main outputs, but I'm wondering how I would mute signal in order to tune...

I suppose fall back would be to just hit the Kemper tuner switch but look at the Korg... but I'm wondering if there IS a master mute anywhere...
    shouldn't there be??

• I make an off patch where the volume is at zero and no profile. Our patches are changed from a computer onstage. I also have a Korg rack tuner that is fed from the direct output.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Yes it occurred to me that my original thought won’t work because when I hit the Kemper tuner switch it will mute the output that’s feeding the Korg.
    The only way I can see to do it is with either a parallel feed to the korg from the wireless (which i would have to suss how to do) or going THROUGH the Korg all the time (which I’m loathe to do if it can be avoided).

• I make an off patch where the volume is at zero and no profile. Our patches are changed from a computer onstage. I also have a Korg rack tuner that is fed from the direct output.

how does it feed the Korg then when your patch has its output set to ‘off’?

• Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I'm probably not going to run through the Korg.

I'll look for a way to split the signal out of the wireless.

Why not? I used to run through a pitch black all the time ( Pre Kemper). True bypass so minimal tone suck...that would easily solve your problem.

• You can connect your external tuner to the Direct Output. If you set its source to "Git Analog" it's not affected by the Profiler's Tuner Mute.

Very easy to check this out by the way.

• Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I'm probably not going to run through the Korg.

I'll look for a way to split the signal out of the wireless.

I would agree with you and specifically didn't want to run through my Korg rack tuner. Why take the chance of degrading your core tone?

This is the reason I programmed a silent rig with direct out set to gtr out. The Kemper taps the signal for the tuner and is constantly working, even when the silent rig is selected. As long as you have a way to change rig by hand or midi, it works best for me.

I'm a bit nervous about clicking over to the tuner with the chicken switch in case I go one too far in a gig situation! It would be a minute down while it reboots.

My bass player has taken to a Snark clip-on tuner that seems to work really well with ambient noise around.

Karl

• I would agree with you and specifically didn't want to run through my Korg rack tuner. Why take the chance of degrading your core tone?

You/he are not taking a chance because you can try it. Its not a cumulative effect or anything like that, it will either suck tone or it won't. A splitter or anything else in the signal chain is just as likely to suck tone as well. I think it is paranoia :)

Seems so much easier than sorting out loop and splitters...

• Burkhard beat me to it; I was just reading all the responses to make sure nobody else had said what I wanted to say.

The thing is, the DI out, if "Git Analog" is selected, is a straight pass-through from the guitar input. If "Git Studio" is selected, it's converted to digital and passed on at line level to the direct out.

William, your KPA must've been set to "Git Studio".

• You/he are not taking a chance because you can try it. Its not a cumulative effect or anything like that, it will either suck tone or it won't. A splitter or anything else in the signal chain is just as likely to suck tone as well. I think it is paranoia :)
    Seems so much easier than sorting out loop and splitters...

Of course you are right, but so much of feeling confident and playing well on stage is built of these kind of things. Feeling everything is in place and getting a great tone makes me play considerably better.

Karl

• Yeah understand...I guess my point is with a regular amp, putting pedals in front is the norm (and with the KPA for some people) - I have always had a tuner in front of my valve amps.

Just trying to rationlise it :)

I'm a bit nervous about clicking over to the tuner with the chicken switch in case I go one too far in a gig situation! It would be a minute down while it reboots.

It would take a few seconds before the Kemper's shutdown begins so there's a safety net built in.
    As far as the OP's problem I agree it’s best to use the direct out set to Git analog and feed the external tuner.