1st Profiling Attempt (Microphone) Questions

• Good day,

I will go ahead and apologize in advance if this question exists elsewhere on this forum. Is it absolutely necessary to utilize a microphone when profiling an amplifier? A friend of mine has purchased a new Hartke HD 500 bass combo amplifier, and I would really love to capture its sound.

Unfortunately, I do not have any microphones in my possession, and even if I did, I have no idea on how to find the “sweet spot” in which to place the microphone. I didn’t know if it would just be possible to run a ¼” cable from the Direct Output/Send of the Kemper to the input of the Hartke. Would this create too much deviation from the original sound of the Hartke?

If it is a “must” to utilize a microphone, could I receive recommendations on some budget-friendly (but effective) microphones to purchase? Also, are there any recommendations on how I could find the absolute best spot in which to place a microphone (please remember that I have no recording/studio experience and am still relatively new to tinkering with amps)?

Thanks in advance!

• An SM57 is hard to beat for a cheaper mic. I'm sure there are tons of videos on YouTube about mic placement, but really it's about trial and error and careful listening/adjusting. Often a good starting point is about halfway between the middle of the speaker cone and the edge of the speaker.

• Since it's a bass amplifier I'd probably go for something different than an sm57.

You could get a cheap large diaphragm condenser like the Røde NT1-A, though I guess condenders aren't the first choice of mic type for bass amps. On the other hand, that mic handles a lot of different instruments well.

I don't know what cheap large diaphragm dynamics are suitable - maybe some audio engineers or bassist have a good tip?

• Ok, since it appears as though the addition of a microphone is necessary, I need to edit/add to my original question(s).

If I am going to purchase a microphone for profiling, I would prefer to just make a single purchase. Is there any particular brand/model that is budget-friendly and would also work for creating profiles of both bass and guitar?

• Budget? A 57 will still work fine for bass, but you might need to put it a little closer to the speaker. Something like a Heil PR40 could work. AKG 214 or Cascade Fathead....lots of options.

• To answer one of your original questions, SunShn, no, you don't have to use a mic.

You could Profile the amp itself directly and pair that with a cabinet from any of the free factory, Rig Manager or forum Rigs you might have.

Just be sure in this case to use the DI / line out if it has one and not the speaker out for obvious reasons.

• Bryan,

Thank you for the models you mentioned. I will be sure to check them out and perform a little research.

Monkey_Man,

Thank you for the information about bypassing microphone utilization. Sorry for the continued questioning on this subject, but I’m still a little fuzzy on how to obtain the proper connection. Are you saying that the Direct Out/Send from the Kemper needs to go into an alternative input on the Hartke combo amp? In looking at the controls, I only see an Input, Send, Return (all 3 are 1/4”), and a Direct Out (which appears to be XLR).

Thanks

• Are you saying that the Direct Out/Send from the Kemper needs to go into an alternative input on the Hartke combo amp?

No, the ones on the Hartke need to go to the Kemper - other way around.

In looking at the controls, I only see an Input, Send, Return (all 3 are 1/4”), and a Direct Out (which appears to be XLR).

The Speaker Output is around 37 volts RMS (averaged), so that's what I was referring to when I said "obvious reasons". IOW, you'd fry the Kemper's line input with it; the amp's rated at 500w!

From the manual:

If you need to connect the HD500 combo to a mixing console, plug a standard female XLR jack into the top-panel Direct Out output and connect it to an XLR mic-level input on a mixer.

So, there you have it. A standard mic cable from the Direct Out to the KPA's mic input will do it. Read the Kemper Profiling Guide for full, important instructions. It's simple-to-follow and should be great fun!

EDIT:

You guys were posting while I was reading the Hartke manual. :D

• Thanks to everyone for all of your replies and guidance. Monkey_Man, thanks for taking the time to look up and research the Hartke manual. The way you explained now makes sense and could prevent me from frying the Kemper. I guess I need to research things myself a little more. I’m just glad that I did reach out on this forum before I blew up my Kemper!

• LOL No worries, mate.

Sorry I took over half an hour to respond; I lost internet even 'though I could see an alert on my desktop that you'd replied. After rebooting the modem 6 times all my open apps crashed and after force-quitting them, still no dice. Finally gave in and rebooted.

To summarise:

Profiling the entire combo via a mic is ideal, but not always practical. If you don't have an appropriate mic or even if you'd prefer to hear the amp through a bigger bass cabinet, bypassing the cabinet stage of your combo is the logical, no-cost solution, and it's done by taking the direct feed from the amp module of the combo - the line out, or "Direct Output", as it's called in this case.

• Thank you ToneDeaf! I haven't had a chance to really dive into reading about this mic, but it appears as though there are plenty of good reviews. Definitely appears to be a good mic to start out with, especially for someone with little experience in the recording/audio realm.