Newbie here with a question

• Hi everyone, new member and new owner of a kemper unpowered toaster.

Love it so far especially the jubilee profiles. Outstanding!!!!

question.... Im currently running it through my evh 5150 el34 50w and it sounds glorious.

I also have tried it with my matrix gt1000 1u & it sounds very dull, no edge and power like the 5150 does. Even when i put it in bridged mode, it lacks the edge of tube power. I bought the matrix because supposedly its the best and most tube like ss power amp.

If anyone can impart some knowledge or tips, Im all ears. Thank you!

• Hi, welcome and have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper!

Not sure about your challenge as I am mainly using FRFR monitors. With them it sounds full and powerful, revealing all the beauty of good profiles.

The EVH 5150 el34 50w is certainly a great amp with a great poweramp section. Nevertheless fed by the Kemper the Matrix should do more or less the same. It has a good reputation. You did not mention what kind of cab(s) you use.

• Thanx for the warm welcome.

Im using an avatar 2x12 with v30’s. Im assuming i will have to do some tweaking when switching between the evh & matrix but i just cant dial in a good tone with the matrix. It sounds like blanket is over the cab. I do turn off the cab sim for both cases as well. Profiles im using is the top jimmy diver down profile mostly.

Again any help is appreciated

• To answer your second question first. Yes, turn off the cab sim for both. The cab section is related to which type of speaker system you are using (guitar or FRFR/FOH PA) not the power amp choice.

As for the Matrix, I haven’t used it as I have a powered head but the basic idea of all these amps is that they should be super clean and faithful to the input sound. Therefore, if the sound isn’t great it is usually the profile that is the issue. However, the 5150 is a valve amp which is explicitly designed to colour the sound. Thats why some people prefer EL34 and others 6L6, KT88 etc. Different valves make the power amp sound different as they distort and compress differently. The Kemper profile already has the effect baked into the tone already so shouldn’t need a valve power amp to colour the sound further. The Matrix is almost certainly closer to the original profiled amp than the 5150 power section. However, not everyone wants/likes a 1:1 copy of the original amp. Some people love the extra juiciness or mojo that comes from adding a further level of tube distortion on top of the profile. I’ve never found it necessary but others swear by it. It is really a personal taste thing rather than a right or wrong. It may just be that for you a valve power section is the preferred choice.

• To answer your second question first. Yes, turn off the cab sim for both. The cab section is related to which type of speaker system you are using (guitar or FRFR/FOH PA) not the power amp choice.

As for the Matrix, I haven’t used it as I have a powered head but the basic idea of all these amps is that they should be super clean and faithful to the input sound. Therefore, if the sound isn’t great it is usually the profile that is the issue. However, the 5150 is a valve amp which is explicitly designed to colour the sound. Thats why some people prefer EL34 and others 6L6, KT88 etc. Different valves make the power amp sound different as they distort and compress differently. The Kemper profile already has the effect baked into the tone already so shouldn’t need a valve power amp to colour the sound further. The Matrix is almost certainly closer to the original profiled amp than the 5150 power section. However, not everyone wants/likes a 1:1 copy of the original amp. Some people love the extra juiciness or mojo that comes from adding a further level of tube distortion on top of the profile. I’ve never found it necessary but others swear by it. It is really a personal taste thing rather than a right or wrong. It may just be that for you a valve power section is the preferred choice.

thanx for the input. I do prefer it out of my 5150 thats for sure. I will keep tweaking it with the matrix. Im sure im missing something.

• I would definitely try some different profiles just to rule it out.

If you get a chance, also try an FRFR speaker if you can. The v30's will have a massive affect on the colour on the resulting sound. The 5150 might be compensating in some way.

It doesn;t mean that using's V30's is not viable, but it does mean that if you went direct ( for example) the sound would be very different.