Where do you set the Kemper Master Volume?

• Out of curiosity tonight, I decided to turn my monitor down enough that I could keep my Kemper Master at max.

Am I imagining things? Sure seems to sound better than monitor volume higher and Kemper volume lower.

I have a dB meter, and in both approaches I was hovering right around 100 dB.

my imagination?? Isn’t volume just volume

• I m not sure if it sounds better or not..I have the Master out at 0 and -12 db engaged.

In this way I have (more or less) the level I need to play with bases, backing tracks, basically any audio coming out from PC

• that's interesting, i always have my master at max when i'm going into my audio interface and i have plenty of headroom left even with high gain profiles. I can't remember ever clipping my input with these settings and i'm coming in at Line+4 on a balanced connection.

The only times i use the master volume knob is to control the headphone volume (although that also tends to come up to max quickly cause it sounds so good at full blast through my DT880's).

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …

• Not a matter of clipping. I use the master to control the level out to my FRFR.

I guess what I’m asking is if there’s anything I’m missing in terms of maximizing the profile’s sonic capabilities if I don’t use master at max on the Kemper?

I know what you’re saying about headroom. I profile my amps pretty loud (even if they have a master) and I find if I use my kemper at exactly the dB level of the original profile, they amp and profile are indistinguishable for all intents and purposes. Even recording that loud, I typically only use the kemper master at noon, so I have tones of headroom.

my experiment is to max the kemper master, so I have zero headroom and just control my levels from the FRFR. When I do this I swear it sounds better... but I think it’s in my head (I know it’s not fletcher-Munson...)

• Not a matter of clipping. I use the master to control the level out to my FRFR.

I guess what I’m asking is if there’s anything I’m missing in terms of maximizing the profile’s sonic capabilities if I don’t use master at max on the Kemper?

I know what you’re saying about headroom. I profile my amps pretty loud (even if they have a master) and I find if I use my kemper at exactly the dB level of the original profile, they amp and profile are indistinguishable for all intents and purposes. Even recording that loud, I typically only use the kemper master at noon, so I have tones of headroom.

my experiment is to max the kemper master, so I have zero headroom and just control my levels from the FRFR. When I do this I swear it sounds better... but I think it’s in my head (I know it’s not fletcher-Munson...)

It's important to record a signal that is robust but not clipping. Louder is better, so long as you aren't ever peaking on the meters.

• I did a recording last gig and my output volume ( not master as that controls the power amp in my powered rack) was lower and it definitely didn't sound as good ( assuming that was the cause).

I'm going to make sure I have a stronger output signal next gig and as nightlight said, you want a strong output signal anyway.