Drives me crazy...

• I love my kemper, but when i make my rigs on my krk rokits6 they sound great on my krks but not in my in ears and foh. Do I make my rigs on my in ears (westone um20 pro) they sound great on my in ears but not on my krks and foh. Headphone same issue... Would a frfr powered speaker to create rigs solve my problem?

• Welcome to the forum! The difference is all in the frequency response. Perhaps better monitors would get you there.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• More likely better room treatment. You’d be surprised at the chaos a (relatively) small room with no treatment can make. Try googling for a free sine wave sweep from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (if you don’t have a frequency generator in your DAW), play it back through your speakers, and listen for any level jumps and dips. Those will be standing waves that are either multiplying or phase-cancelling the audio at frequencies specific to your room dimensions.

• More likely better room treatment. You’d be surprised at the chaos a (relatively) small room with no treatment can make. Try googling for a free sine wave sweep from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (if you don’t have a frequency generator in your DAW), play it back through your speakers, and listen for any level jumps and dips. Those will be standing waves that are either multiplying or phase-cancelling the audio at frequencies specific to your room dimensions.

Good point, Sam :)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Point taken about room treatment , but i have the same problem when using in ears/ headphones. I guess it must be the frequency respons of the different playback sources ( as Zappledan said) that im using. So would it be worth buying a frfr powered cab to make my basic rigs and use eq for krk, in ear and foh.

• Sounds like you're comparing live playing to home / studio playing. Typically, you'll have more success with separate profiles for live and home / studio. When you play on the KRKs, is that just practicing by yourself, or within a the context of a full band mix (i.e., recording and mixing, or practicing to a full song)?

• Just another point - if you took any tube amp and EQ'd it to your liking at home, it would sound pretty awful when cranked up at live volume. Kemper is no different in that regard (although the reasons why are probably different).

• Before my kemper I used a peavey classic 30 with 1x12 v30 cab. I created my sounds at home with the cab. Used a BOD with the same speaker on stage and for recording. Sounded great in my in ears and foh. (Of course with eq.) My point with the kemper is, how do I create a basic sound that (with eq ofcourse) sounds good on in ear and foh. Does a frfr powered cab help me there. For at home practise use I can create a seperate rig for the krk.

• More likely better room treatment. You’d be surprised at the chaos a (relatively) small room with no treatment can make.

this !!!!

also, I think the KRk monitors might be part of the problem. I don’t have a pair but I know they had a reputation for being pretty hyped on certain frequencies rather than mainly flat.

• I know the krks frequency response is everything but flat. Certainly not frfr. My question is : would it be helpful to purchase an frfr powered speaker (headrush 108/112 for example) to use as reference.

• It's the fourth time you ask the same question. You already got some answer already.

I know. But I'm not sure I made myself clear.(English is not my first language, Dutch :|) I was hoping for confirmation that frfr was the way to go for me...

• Before even thinking of a frfr you need solve your problem first. How does profiles made by others sound on your speakers and headphones?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I love my kemper, but when i make my rigs on my krk rokits6 they sound great on my krks but not in my in ears and foh. Do I make my rigs on my in ears (westone um20 pro) they sound great on my in ears but not on my krks and foh. Headphone same issue... Would a frfr powered speaker to create rigs solve my problem?

Hi, Rongear.

Others have mentioned the KRK are not flat. Neither are the Westone UM 20 Pro. I not saying there is anything wrong with the Westones, but this could explain why you don't hear the same thing on the KRKs, Westones, and FOH.

If you build your rigs with a FRFR speaker at gig volume, then your rigs should sound just as good if you play live through a FRFR for monitoring and if the FOH is also FRFR. This assumes that your FRFR is set up in a properly treated room. If there are acoustic issues in the room, there will be problems when you play in a different room.

More information about the Westone UM 20 Pro

Follow the link to look at the charts. You'll see the frequency response varies a lot depending on the volume at which you are listening.

They flatten out the most at 90 dB, but even at that level, the drop off significantly above 2 kHz.

• Before even thinking of a frfr you need solve your problem first. How does profiles made by others sound on your speakers and headphones?

With eq I can can make them sound good.(mixing console ,daw) that's why I need a reference where I can make my rigs. In the past the reference was my peavey with v30 cab.

• Hi St,

Thanks for your post. I found same kind if charts for the krks. It looks like I have to boost the mid/highs on the westone and reduce the low end on the krks. That's what I experience on my rigs to.

I think I know what to do. You all thanx for your help. I'm gonna dive into the world of frfr.