Why does the Kemper have so small a Memory?

• good point.

It's encouraging that Kemper is sticking with pretty much the same OS and guts with the Rack. I like my Lunch Box better though. Its easy to transport and for me should be like a small head amp, a la the VOX Nite Train.

BTW, I put it onto a monitor and played and the Kemper rattles inside, so you probably should NOT put it onto a monitor or amplifier! ;)

• I saw this video elsewhere on the forum showing a guy taking apart the Kemper:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=867iDz9A-7E&feature=youtu.be

It shows the DSP board to be interchangeable. So memory upgrades could be tied to an improved DSP board if not a USB option.

That kind of answers my question. A more expensive upgrade, but maybe there's a tight integration between that board and memory management, so it would make sense to keep them together?

• After all said in this thread it would be fair to get real specs from manufacturer.
    Not much to asked, I think.
    -Olli

Why? Would you buy a tube amp instead if you were disappointed with the memory capacity?

You guys are crazy. The Kemper provides more preset storage than anything else on the market and it is not enough for you guys. :thumbdown:

• Is not the DSP, just the communication chip (usb host, lan....)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Interesting thread - had me wondering about the subject - 'too small a memory' initially, but then saw the OPs post - and I just wanted to state:

By the classical definition of a computer - most tiny devices these days are computers. Hell, you could even say that the plastic box that controls my sprinkler system is a 'computer', but I beg to differ. The controller for my sprinker system is **NOT** a computer, the Kemper is **NOT** a computer, for that matter none of the tiny devices you see these days (refrigerators, microwaves) - should not be considered as computers in the true sense of the word.

Why, you may ask? Well, because they're designed to achieved a certain function with a certain performance objective in mind, and that function only - they've also been manufactured with a strict price-point in mind - and adding even 16Mb of memory, or a USB interface interferes with that pricing model :). It is IMHO naive to see these devices as computers and even wonder about their limits ;). If you want a computer - get a PC or a MAC, run a DAW on it, and run all the emulations and bells and whistles you want - it's just not possible that these focused devices can even begin to compete with a fully functional device that's built to a broader design goal (a COMPUTER i.e. ;)). Even the software that runs these tiny devices have been designed keeping certain constraints in mind.

That being said - I realize every day that, the KPA is a fine piece of equipment - enjoy it - I know I am ;). I feel we shouldn't get tangled in the 'putting everything including the kitchen sink in the KPA' syndrome ;). Sorry, but I like very focused devices that do a small subset of things, and do them very well (like the KPA). I dont care much for devices that attempt to do everything, and achieve them with a moderate amount of success. I love everything about the KPA, from the user interface, to the sound, to even the thought that has gone into designing the interfaces - excellent job guys :)!

Am I a fanboi (love the term)? Well, Im definitely a fan of the KPA - but I do understand that this is a forum, and open discussion, arguments and opposing points of view are unavoidable and in fact, should be encouraged. I would, however, never want a situation to arise wherein the KPA (and the design team) was unfairly represented with regards to what it has achieved (pretty friggin amazing, if you think of it) - especially because of 7-page long threads discussing something we as users of the product know very little or nothing of (detailed design, and vital design decisions that were made i.e.). I mean - Im an engineer and all that as well - but do I know (or should I care about) why they chose to put 640K in there ;)? Well, probably because they thought 640K was good enough for everyone.

Threads like this do make good entertainment - and are moderately informative though ;).

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way ;) - Peace!

• Typical case of "bigger is better"....that's also the reason some people buys Hummer..... :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Computer:
    Noun

• An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.
    • A person who makes calculations, esp. with a calculating machine.

By that definition, the Kemper most definitely is a computer via definition "1."

We use computers all over the place daily. Engine Control systems for cars. GPS navigation systems. Audio and/or Video Entertainment systems. All legitimate uses of the term "computer" without being ridiculous. Some of them require GB of memory. I get that the Kemper does not. Just curious about it's specs and wondering how it's memory decision was made.

That said, I don't get the illogical assumption that if you ask questions or pose opinions about your gear, you are somehow putting it down. It seems to upset some when you even marginally wonder why your piece of gear isn't shiny on some part.

You should see what I go through on other boards dare I mention I bought the Kemper as a solution to my problems with other gear, and am happy with it. You'd think that I'd killed an Austrian Archduke! ;)

• Why? Would you buy a tube amp instead if you were disappointed with the memory capacity?

You guys are crazy. The Kemper provides more preset storage than anything else on the market and it is not enough for you guys. :thumbdown:

I have tube amps. Many.
    Just want to know because it intrests me and becuse it is nice to know what are the major features of that computer you have bought.
    And you have odd unpolite atitude to answer.
    Dont need answers like that. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    -Olli

• I have tube amps. Many.
    Just want to know because it intrests me and becuse it is nice to know what are the major features of that computer you have bought.
    And you have odd unpolite atitude to answer.
    Dont need answers like that. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    -Olli

You didn't buy a computer, you bought an amp modeler.

• No dog in this fight but just curious - do companies generally not reveal their specs for things like memory then? Anyone know if the Pod HD, A** FX ;) , 11Rack et al specs are widely available? Strange really, you'd think they'd be open about it. It's not like us guitarists are going to obsess about it and oh... ah... I think I see the problem...Actually I don't want to know... it will only lead to me blaming the brand of memory on why I can't quite get my legato lines flowing...

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Well... once I recall tracing my problems with a particularly tricky Joe Pass piece back to the fact that my pants were too tight. "Everything-counts-in-large-amounts..."

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• None of us bought a "computer" . We didn't find the device in the computer section of the store or catalog. We didn't purchase additional software applications to run on it (No, rigs aren't applications)

It's a hardware/firmware based solution designed to replicate an Amp. It's an Amp Simulator (generically part of the Amp Modeler family). Nearly all other devices in this category have a fixed number of banks and patches. The KPA has a total shared memory design. As features increase, the memory footprint grows and the remaining amount of rig storage decreases. It originally held over 2000 by some users testimonies. A certain amount of free memory is needed for firmware upgrade operations. That's understandable. Backup, remove some rigs, upgrade, restore. Pretty simple.

The KPA is a finite device with amazing but limited resources and accepting that brings great peace. :D I'm sure in the future but long before we run out of memory for a reasonable number of rigs (1000?), the answer to expanding the available memory will be addressed..yay or neh...until then, PLAY GUITAR!!!!

bd

• its got like 512Mb ram or somesuch, it was listed on this forum, so you can probably find it

hardly something I care about, the truth is that I can only deal with about 100 rigs anyways, I'll give you a 1000+ and after that is just unreasonable