Former Tube Amp User

• Hello All,

My name is Garry Klein. I have been playing in bands for over 45 years, using only tube amps. At 61 years old, I was very much looking for a way to condense my footprint on stage and generally make my rig much more portable and light-weight. When I first started my quest, the only products that fit the bill were the Line 6 products, which were way inferior to my tube amps (I've been a Mesa owner for most of my playing career). Other digital standards, such as ADA, Digitech, etc. gave me little impetus to change my format as well (to me, achieving grail-tone is worth the effort needed with tube amps). Then the Kemper came on the scene.

At first, I was very skeptical! I basically ignored the reviews and thought it was seriously overpriced for a merely digital unit. However, after much research, listening, consideration, and anguish, I finally bought my Kemper on February 3rd. I waited to post because I wanted to be sure that I was going to keep the KPA as a long-term investment/project. After almost a month of experimenting, adding rigs, configuring my midi pedal (Yamaha MFC 10, a great pedal, by the way), I have decided that the KPA meets all of my needs and will be selling all of my tube amps to complete my rig and, I must say, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

The quality of sounds from the Kemper is truly amazing!! This became especially apparent this past weekend when I had the opportunity to use it for rehearsal. My bandmates were blown away by the quality of the sounds. My other guitarist is considering new purchases and I will do everything in my power to convince him to "Kemperfy" himself!

Many thanks Chris for bestowing upon us old farts a means to keep gigging minus the backbreaking effort needed to get comparable sounds from tube amps! Your product is truly a "god-send"!

• Hi Garry, welcome on board. Nice to see another hardcore tube guy being converted by the Cosmic Toaster :D
    If you need something just shout, lots of helpful people here around.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thanks guitarnet70.

I must say, that the spirit of cooperation, sharing and networking on this forum was one of the most appealing aspects in my decision-making process re the Kemper. Ya'll keep it up!!

• Welcome Gary, As another Old Fart (62) still playing gigs in a rock band and a former "Tube Only" guy for 49years, you will not be unhappy with your choice, And your back I'm sure is appreciating your choice. You will love all the helpful people here along with there world-wide perspective. Paul :D

• You know hearing you old farts are still rockin live is great. I haven't gigged for years but your inspiration may be what I need. How old do you have to be to be in the old fart club?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• You know hearing you old farts are still rockin live is great. I haven't gigged for years but your inspiration may be what I need. How old do you have to be to be in the old fart club?

Old enough not to know any better. Seriously, I don't know what I would do without my music in my life. Throughout all of the years, all of the trials and tribulations, good and bad, music has always been the one constant that has never failed me. I attribute much of my personal well-being, health, success and happiness to the fact that I have always played in bands. Gigging, and all elements involved, has always served me as a means to ventilate any accumulated emotional backlog, keeping my stress-level manageable. Playing has helped me stay sane, and I won't stop till I drop!!

• Welcome Gary, As another Old Fart (62) still playing gigs in a rock band and a former "Tube Only" guy for 49years, you will not be unhappy with your choice, And your back I'm sure is appreciating your choice. You will love all the helpful people here along with there world-wide perspective. Paul :D

Hey Paul

Alll Right!!!! Good to know I won't be the oldest member on this forum (as I am in most bands I've been in)

• Hi Gary, Paul and all the other old farts and young ones, :P

I'm a happy Kemper user since last october and you really hit it off with me. Exactly what I wanted to say but did not know how to do. My command of the english language isn't that good. I'm a bit older than you - phew...- (nearly 65) and always prefered Fender amps when I could afford them. Boogies and other Mesa stuff simply was out of reach. So the KPA is a real revelation. I happily expierence how good amps really sound. Need I add that I'm absolutely blown away with the KPA?

Other than that it's just really nice to have you guys (the female of the species included) in this forum. Better still: some of them, as you, can look back to a life full of music, gigging and rehearsing. Keeps your mind safe sometimes when life is playing some of it's dirtier tricks.

Don't need to add more - you said it all. ;) :)

Glad to have read your post. :)

Keep on rocking old men. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited 2 times, last by HamerJo ().

• Old enough not to know any better. Seriously, I don't know what I would do without my music in my life. Throughout all of the years, all of the trials and tribulations, good and bad, music has always been the one constant that has never failed me. I attribute much of my personal well-being, health, success and happiness to the fact that I have always played in bands. Gigging, and all elements involved, has always served me as a means to ventilate any accumulated emotional backlog, keeping my stress-level manageable. Playing has helped me stay sane, and I won't stop till I drop!!

Amen!

Welcome to the gang Gary! You'll love it here - and the Kemper will keep you rocking the free world so as to speak ;)!

• Welcome Gary! I'm 61 also, and had been out of music for a VERY long time. However, I'm now back in a band and will once again be on a stage playing soon for the first time in over 40 years :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Welcome to you too, Joachim! :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Gary, I know what you mean about being the "Oldest In The Band" . In my new band after (15 yrs in the old one) I am 17yrs older then the next oldest and the youngest is 19, but it keps me young and happy playin everthing from Grand Funk to Tool. And the KPA fills my dreams for all. :love:
    Joachim, Welcome to the Kemper family And Zap glad to here you're back Jammin
    So cheers to all us Old Farts :thumbup: Keep Rockin

• Hello & Welcome, cool story to hear, you're right with the Kemper , it's a totally addictive device !

Please do us a favor before selling your tube amps , profile them with every of your favorites settings.

I'm sure you have developped great sounds on specific settings that you'll be able to keep foverer while your amps are sold, and lots of people here could enjoy them as well. Your experience here is precious !

Most of my profile on the rig exchange were done without a mike ( on recording outs ...) so it's quite fast to profile them and hassle free.