Posts by Mats_Nermark

I grew up listening to a lot of records where fuzz was used on the guitar tracks. I've owned/tried a lot of fuzz boxes over the years and I could never understand how to play them and I sold them. Then late last year I started getting interested in the octave/fuzz effect. But I was reluctant getting one due to my former negative relationships with fuzz in general.

But then one day I came upon a Youtube demo of the Olsson Amps Fuzztner. I know John Olsson and he never put out anything bad and this was made in collaboration with Staffan Astner who is a real badass fuzz/octavia player so my interest was piqued. I met up with John Olsson at the FUZZ Guitar SHow in May and he lent me a Fuzztner. After trying the octave fuzz effect I realized this was my way into octavialand. And when I realized that I could disconnect the octave part of the effect and get just fuzz I tried it with no hopes. But I found the found the fuzz part to be really interesting so I bought the pedal.

As always when I get a new soundscape to visit, I write a tune so I can play the effect the way I want to and this is the tunethat came out of this. The reason I bonded with the Fuzztner is that it's very dynamic and I see it more like a synth type of sound than a guitar sound when I play and that makes a difference to me in how I approach the sound. I will definitely continue to explore this pedal!!

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Cheers,

Mats N

Yes, i like the paramater with the Kemper compressor and this help to tweek. But the external pedal like the Ego, Keely, etc. have this vibe that i cannot reproduce with the Kemper compressor stomp or amp block.

My best success so far has been a combination of a compressor in the A slot, a compressor in the X slot and some compression in the amp block.

Having said that, I still haven't managed to get that little extra something I get when I use a good external analog compressor.

Next, I'll probably get an Origin Effects Cali76

Cheers,

Mats N

All great ones, a couple of which I still own, but since each is a "new" take on the classics, my guess is Kemper could do the same, another great interpretation,that's all their own, sort of like what they accomplished with the delays and reverbs .. they satisfy my tastes and preconceptions about those tools but aren't exactly like what I used before .. blah blah you know what I mean ...

This could potentially be even better....

Cheers,

Mats N

Short of investing in the kind of gear that professional studios have, there really is no way to get the kind of sparkle and definition that most commercial profiles have.

And I think for a lot of us home profilers, that's always going to be disappointing.

Some time ago I had the opportunity to visit Michael Britt and he took me to his place where he does his profiling.

Report is here: http://nermark.com/reports/MBr…les/MBritt%20profiles.htm

What I saw really surprised me. The speaker was placed in a very large room with just two screens shielding it from the room reflections. The microphones were a Shure SM57 and a FatHead (IIRC) going through a inexpensive Mackie mixer. And as I consider Mike's profiles being the best commercial profiles, this shows you do not need fancy expensive equipment to profile.

I think some of my profiles are very usable and some of them were captured at home with just a SM57 going straight into the KPA. And I've helped friends make good profiles in their homes (dens, kitchens, man caves, basements, garages, etc.) with very modest equipment so I know first hand that it's possible.

Cheers and happy profiling!

Mats N

I also love the KPA stomp compressor but I just can't get it to sound like some of my favourite compressors and thus I 've started to use external pedals again. When the the KPA can do the Keeley compressor, the Wampler Ego and the Origin Effects Cali 76 then I'll go back to using just the KPA again.

Cheers,

Mats N

I can recommend the IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage for simple and effective recording of both steel string and nylon string guitars. I use it all the time.

Especially cool when recording at home as whatever my wife is doing is not being picked up with the iRig. If I had used a condenser microphone recording at home with her in the house would not be possible.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi!

I love the tunes that came out of Los Angeles from the likes of Steely Dan, Michael McDonald, Larry Carlton, etc.

For the past 10 years or so I've followed guitarist Chuck D'Aiola who's been a very big influence.

So when I write my tunes they are likely to be very much influenced by these awesome musicians.

This is very much such a tune. :-)

Hope you enjoy it!

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Yet another tune using synth style sounds in the KPA.

Just one guitar through the KPA and some drum sounds.

Moderator Notice:

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

I wanted to show that you can play "ordinary" music with my synth style rigs for the KPA so I recorded an instrumental version of this song using some more straight forward synth sounds.

All sounds in this track are made by a Ruokangas Mojo King through the Kemper Profiling Amps except for drums and percussion.

Moderator Notice:

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

While I was profiling weird and unusual stuff I got a few sounds that for some reason reminded my of some of Stevie Wonder's tunes. So I choose this one as a way to show what you can do with these profiles.

I must say these sounds are a real joy to play as they make me play differently then I ordinarily play guitar.

All sounds in this track are made by a Ruokangas Mojo King through the Kemper Profiling Amps except for drums and percussion.

Moderator Notice:

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Mats N

1. Profile a sound not really sounding like a guitar

2. Put some whacky fx in the rig

3. Try to get as many sounds out of it as possible and definitely don't play the guitar like you ordinary would.

This has done wonders for my relationship not only with guitar but with music in general.

Cheers,

Mats N

MBritt, Mats Nermark, Norbury Brook has some great profiles but you have to purchase them

I would like to correct you here and state that the profiles I have posted on the Rig Exchange and on my web site http://www.nermark.com are free. There is, however, a donation button that enables you to encourage me to post more profiles. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

Probably should dig up the Dumble thread, but for some odd reason, the other day I was just screwing around (rare that I have time for that these days...) and was playing one of your Black Goop profiles (I think thats what they were called?) and da-ha-amn!!! I am not looking forward to the process of setting up an entire performance, but it was so spot on right where I wanted to be, it might be my new go to for a while.

Hi!

I really glad you found it useful and rewarding. Some of my profiles go in and out a favour except for one, that's been a go-to profiles since day one.

And I really appreciate you letting me know. Feedback is so very rare so I take what I can when I get it. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi!

My latest profiling/programming session coincided with the release of the public beta and I underscored the melody in this clip with a new rig ("Angel Voices") with the Ionosphere reverb made specifically for this tune. The tune is not by any means finished, but I wanted to give interested KPA owners a chance to hear that you can make "normal" music with the non guitar profiles/rigs I make.

Hope you like it!

Moderator Notice:

Cheers,

Mats N