Posts by ckemper

So now I tested it with a new Roland FV-500H. Mechanically it feels way much better but electronically the bump at the beginning of a swell is still there. I can also see it on the numbers in SYSTEM page 4/8 under VALUE: no metter how I set the minimum volume on the pedal (min vol only dials in a constant low level sound but doesn't cure the bump) the first 1 cm of the pedal way there is no reaction and then all of a sudden it jumps up to 300 or so.

Firmware is 1.1.0.7459.

Should I try a Flash Reset?

Please don't do a flash reset and tell everybody not to do it for an arbitrary reason!

What you experience is the behavior of the potentiometer in your pedals. Jumping impedance.
    We will think about a solution that can solve that problem.

If I set the frequency to the minimum (20,6hz) and start to boost I get a boost around 6 khz..the range of my frequency pot is from 6khz and up..
    The low band starts also at 20,6hz and works fine..but no way to get a boost (or cut) in the lows or mids with the high band..so I may have a bug if yours works fine

What do you expect from using a highshelf set to 20 Hz ??
    It will boost the complete audible frequency range.

What do you mean by "my frequency pot is from 6 kHz and up"?

I liked this one:

"So my "Brand D" is doing a better job than my "Brand K" because of less aliasing.
    But why to hell does "Brand D" not sound and feel as good as "Brand K"? "

You cannot use a volume pedal, you need a dedicated expression pedal.
    The Roland FV-500H is a great choice.
    Still you could use your volume pedal before the profiler, or in the effects loop placed in the X effect. Still the latter would compromize the audio quality.

Actually not true, I was surprised by this as well as given that it's just an amp sim you'd expect all the bg noise to drop out once the profiling is done, but too much noise and the KPA can't profile (it'll come up with an error), and in fact I've had Christoph even comment on how noisy a profile was that I made prior to using the external preamp. The final profile you get does remove at least some of the noise after you store it, but it seems to treat it almost as a part of the distortion if it's too high and if nothing else that skews the result.

In fact you can hear in many of the user profiles variance in noise floor even with similar gain settings (I always leave the noise gate off), which I assume is down to the cab section pushing certain noticeably noisy frequencies on those profiles.

I may correct you in certain points:

- The Profilers Return Input has an analog switching gain.
    - The noise floor of a rig is soon driven by input noise, at crunch and highgain settings.
    - Noise on the post-microphone path will never (!) influence the profile.
    - When a profile fails due to noise, then it's a high gain profile amplifying noise and hum at the input.

I have downloaded original KPA rigs, upgrades and a few single downloaded rigs from your website. I must say that this problem really affects every single one of the rigs that have a bit of gain, that is listening through the headphones. I have reduced treble -0,7 presence -0,5 and bass -0,3 on the Monitor output EQ. I'm pleased with my sound playing with a Laney Chromo-o-zone combo power amp and 2x10 H&H speakers. I got a suggestion to adjust my headphone sound by adjusting the Main output EQ, however this does not affect headphone output, should it?
    By the way, I'm very impressed with your support, lightning fast :) /Hans J

Be aware that listening thru headphones is a different perception than listening to speakers in a room with natural reflections. That refers to any music, but especially to a git amp, that often comes in mono.

CK may get pissed at me for saying this again but it sounds like you have flash memory corruption. My fix was to perform a flash format followed by restoring from backup. There are instructions in the problem forum. This did fix my high end odd-sounding issues as well as others.

Of course I am!
    You are giving that same advice to a dozend people with all different issues without the attempt for a deeper analysis.
    Wasn't your problem Spdif related?

For centuries physicians recommended bloodletting to cure all kinds of diseases. It was eventually found out that no single desease can be cured by that.

I just downloaded juanamans new engl se profiles and I hear something strange in all of them. Now, I have not cranked these profiles up yet, but at low low volumes, I hear this high end metallic rattle in the high end. Almost sounds like if you have ever accidentally turned on your tube amp on high gain an cranked it up loud without a cabinet connected ( I know, bad bad). This is through my VHT ultralead and 4x12 cabinet. Dialing back some presence seems to help the problem, but only masks it, sounds very unnatural, anyone ever experienced this? This only happens with very few profiles, and none I can think of off the top of my head actually. Maybe it goes away at more than low volumes? Should I delete and redownload? Help!

Could it be that you have found some profiles that simply have too much high frequencies for your taste?
    Just use other profiles or cabs! No technical problem, just different taste.

higain patches are the trickiest to get right. if you tighten them up using advanced amp parameters, you'll get a cocked wah sound. remember the pick attack on the old boss COSM? most of the 'higain' profiles on the rigexchange are hopelessly overgained and sound mushy/fizzy as well. this is likely to get you dissapointed at first if you're used to the axe where you can turn any amp into a tight metal monster by adjusting the damping and transformer hipass frequency.
    good news is that if you start with a good profile of an amp dialed in and mic'ed properly, it'll sound just as good as the real thing.
    still, i really hope that an advanced parameter to get rid of this cocked wah sound when tweaking higain patches comes with the newer firmwares. something to control 'grain' of the distortion while tweaking would be a godsend.

Don't get blinded by special names of advanced parameters. When you tweak a virtual transformer, you simply modify the frequency responce as with an equalizer. Use our Studio Equalizer on X Effext to control the high end.
    If you really need advanced parameters, I will grab some EQ configurations for you and give it different names :)
    Might be good for our marketing, since some say the Profiler does not allow deep editing.

One word about the automatic leveling during the profiling process:

The reference amp volume is adjusted to the unity volume of the profiler. This guarantees a constant volume during a profiling session and prevents clipping on the return input. When you follow the manual and set the volume of the reference amp similar to the volume of the actual rig, then the automatic leveling will only apply small corrections. And you will not be surprized by a volume drop!