Posts by zerocrossing

Where do you have the Clean Sense set, when the LED went yellow?
    What guitar do you play?
    Is the clipping sound still there, when you reduce Master Volume?

I haven't tried the master volume (I keep that all the way up) but I can get it to go away be adjusting the cab output and making sure nothing else is booting the signal into the yellow. I'll check the master volume tonight and maybe try a few other amp models, but the Vox models that come with it and the clean models that come with The Amp Factory all do it unless I bring it down quite a bit.

We warned you about using a home stereo, actually a crappy home stereo as your monitor source. Trust me, I was in electronics retail for a very long time and I can assure you that Sony does not make an audio device that's good. So you're plugging a $1800 device into a $400 all in one stereo system. My studio monitors cost more than that per speaker. Most good ones do. So, any device is going to only be as good as the weakest link. Sorry to be so frank, but I already explained this to you in your initial post so I'm confused as to why you're confused.

So, pick up some decent studio monitors or if cash is tight, do some research and get some good headphones. Again, I find the AKG K720s to be good and comfortable.

I've noticed for a while that on clean amps it's super easy to peak the output of the KPA even with pretty low volumes. I know distortion is going to compress my guitar and give me a louder apparent sound, but I find that on a clean amp I'll get an annoying rattily distortion even though the output is just skimming the "yellow." If I bring things down so it's solidly in the green while playing chords pretty hard the issue goes away, but that means I need to bring all my distortion profiles down so that volumes match. Is this a known issue or just "the way it is"?

Fixed!

Well, I'll answer what I can.

The first thing you should probably do is read the manual. Actually, you should download the PDF and start reading it now. It's a really good well written one.

I don't know your home theater, but I imagine you won't really be happy with it. If you can't afford a good FRFR monitor system or studio monitors you should probably spend a few hundred on a good pair of headphones. I have AKG K720s that are pretty good.

I have the last "official" update and you should update to it if it's not installed on your unit. It's pretty damn stable, though it's crashed once one me. I don't know how the public beta one is, but I'm too busy to deal with beta software.

I really do feel like the Kemper "acts like a real one" but in terms of feedback a lot of that is acoustic so you'll need either a monitor or some sort of Sustainiac like system to get that natural feedback. I use a Sustainiac Stealth Pro. I don't know about the JSX, but I'd love to try your profile once you make one. WIll it make you sell your amp... that's up to you. The Kemper is not a guitar amp. It is an effect that processes your guitar's signal to make it sound like it's a guitar though effects (or not) an amp, cabinet and a mic. So the sound you get will always sound like a good recording of a real amp, not like standing in front of a real amp, though I imagine with the right speaker and power amp you could get very close. I don't care, I just love the sound.

The effects are very, very, very good. I'm totally in love with the Muffin! They're all great though. I was worried too before I got it, but I'm not now. Top notch effects all the way. On par with a TC system IMO.

I don't know if you'll be happy, but so far the Kemper's made me a very happy boy. You'll know soon enough. ^^

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly, but I don't see how the Kemper could correlate the output and input the way it does real time ... ?(

The other issue is how would you do the refining process. Still... I don't see why a way around the real time thing couldn't be figured out.

Yeah, my first reaction to the Kemper was "what the hell were they thinking with this form factor?" My studio is basically a city with no zoning... it just grew organically and that's exactly what it's like... a big tangled mess like some Louisiana bayou. The Kemper's not helping. X( Anyway, it is what it is and I love it so. At least the UI is OK (could be better).

I think it would all be alleviated if they'd just do a software editor. That way I could just tuck it away somewhere and do all the editing and preset management on my monitor like I do with my HD500.

supposedly the amp was recorded with a blanket thrown over it.
    I'm just saying IF anyone has a chance to this, it world be cool to have a 'with blanket' version.

edit: after (partially) reading this, this might have been another amp...

Then we'd all have to find out what blanket was used. Was it a wool blanket? Would we get a warmer sound out of a goose down duvet? :D

Still, it's on my list of "I wish there were more classic transistor amp profiles..." :S

So, I spent a bit more time with the Fuzz Factory, and I think to some degree the idea that it can't be used with EMGs is overblown. Not only can it, but when I a/b'd it with my G&L I thought the tone was significantly better with the Steinberger. It's just a wild hard to tame beast. I don't think it's something that will get used on every track, but it does impart a very distinct and amazing character on the tone that can't be done with the included stomp box models. I highly recommend it for those who are interested in non traditional types of fuzz tones.

I had this error last night... and I'm wondering if there's been any official word as to why this happens. A simple reboot fixed it, but I'm wondering if this is something that can be avoided. I was just messing around with various wave shapers in the pre profile effects slots.

A Fuzz Factory is extremely picky when it comes to what you connect to the input.
    Even a guitar with active pickups won't work properly.

Interesting... I was using it with my Steinberger with good ol' EMGs and I could definitively get good stuff out of it though there was no "cleaning it up" by backing off the guitar volume... I'll play with it more tonight... I've got a G&L with passive pickups as well.

So, I picked up a Fuzz Factory as it seemed to be a lot of fuzz for a decent price with a lot of flexibility. Here's my first impression...

When I was going for a traditional classic 60s tone, it's not that great, but you can get in the neighborhood. If that's what you want though, don't bother. Like 01000100 said...

"... I could recreate what the pedal was doing with the internal drive pedals, the waveshapers and EQs, tho."

It's true. I'd be hard pressed to say you could do it perfectly, but man the Muff emulation sure does sound great to me. It totally quenches my thirst for that flavor. If that classic fuzz tone is central to your sound you might still want a Fulltone 69 or Sunface, but for guys like me that want a taste of it every now and then, the KPA satisfies. Some crazy lo-fi can also be had with the wave shapers too. But the Fuzz Factory is to a Big Muff or Fuzz Face like a rodeo bull is to a petting zoo pony. It's very touchy and while it's "rideable" the fun of it is clearly the thrill of it "trying to throw you off." I probably should have gotten the "Probe" version, as it's really fun to mess with the controls while using my Sustainic to let a note ring out.

So, to wrap it up... I like it. :thumbup: It complements the KPA really well because while the KPA has a good complement of "bread and butter" distortion/fuzz effects, the Fuzz Factory is more like a peyote and saffron spread. 8)

My one question is... I'm putting it before the KPA... and so far that seems best. I've got a HD500 in it's effect loop and in it's effects loop I've got a Blackstar HT-5 Dual Distortion. While the HT-5 works well there, the Fuzz Factory didn't... I didn't try it in series with the HD500. I guess I'll just experiment a bit more, but I'd be curious to hear what others are doing with their stomps for best bang for buck. Maybe that's a topic for a different thread...

I don't really think one is superior over another, just a different "flavor." I've owned a few germanium based fuzzes in my day... a muff pi... and I've owned silicone based fuzzboxes as well and I've loved both for different reasons. I kind of feel the silicone ones are better (or more easily?) modeled with software, where as there's something weird going on with germanium fuzzes that seems more elusive. To me (again, not an expert, but a fan) there's a certain "spittiness" in the attack I hear with a germanium based fuzz... feels more woolly or something. Maybe you're right, maybe the stomps in the KPA nail it? I certainly do like the included stomps. Maybe this is a waste of time and money... not sure. I guess I could pick something up at Guitar Center and return it if i don't feel it makes enough difference.