Germanium Fuzz for KPA's effect loop?

• Suggestions? So far I've only just begun checking them out and I heard demo tracks of the MJM London Fuzz that I liked a lot, but I worry that it's a bit too limited... but great tone is the most important thing. My music is all over the place but I tend to like a lot of more experimental stuff. My guitar heros include Fripp, Belew, Gibbons, Hendrix, Prince, May... etc. I know they're the classics, but I also dig a lot of the sounds the Nu-metal guys are getting.

• first of all, I wouldn't be too concerned whether a fuzz uses germanium or silicon transistors.
    I know what the common perception of the differences is, but to be honest, most people that claim that either one is superior haven't really played that many fuzzes. I have 30+ here and I can tell you it's just not that easy.

If you want experimental -> Fuzz Factory (look at that: two germanium transistors and one silicon one)
    if you want a good all-rounder, with a switchable octave -> Foxx Tone Machine (cheaper versions are the Danelectro French Toast and Joyo Voodoo Octave)
    also, the Ibanez FZ7 fuzz is quite underrated and variable
    the Exar Squeezer is also very interesting, since it lets you mix three different distortions, but to me it has a very signature sound in the highs you either like or you don't - you can't dial it out
    and then there is the Source Audio Multiwave Distortion, probably the most fun one of this list.

Personally, I found that whenever I came across a great combination of a profile and one of my fuzzes, I could recreate what the pedal was doing with the internal drive pedals, the waveshapers and EQs, tho.

• I don't really think one is superior over another, just a different "flavor." I've owned a few germanium based fuzzes in my day... a muff pi... and I've owned silicone based fuzzboxes as well and I've loved both for different reasons. I kind of feel the silicone ones are better (or more easily?) modeled with software, where as there's something weird going on with germanium fuzzes that seems more elusive. To me (again, not an expert, but a fan) there's a certain "spittiness" in the attack I hear with a germanium based fuzz... feels more woolly or something. Maybe you're right, maybe the stomps in the KPA nail it? I certainly do like the included stomps. Maybe this is a waste of time and money... not sure. I guess I could pick something up at Guitar Center and return it if i don't feel it makes enough difference.

• FWIW
    I profiled a great Germanium fuzz that was included in the last rig pack.
    Its called German Fuzz.

Bill

I'll check that one out. One of the reasons I'm going pedal though is to get a lot of control to shape the sound. So far the Fuzz Factory is looking like a perfect match for what I'm thinking.

• So, I picked up a Fuzz Factory as it seemed to be a lot of fuzz for a decent price with a lot of flexibility. Here's my first impression...

When I was going for a traditional classic 60s tone, it's not that great, but you can get in the neighborhood. If that's what you want though, don't bother. Like 01000100 said...

"... I could recreate what the pedal was doing with the internal drive pedals, the waveshapers and EQs, tho."

It's true. I'd be hard pressed to say you could do it perfectly, but man the Muff emulation sure does sound great to me. It totally quenches my thirst for that flavor. If that classic fuzz tone is central to your sound you might still want a Fulltone 69 or Sunface, but for guys like me that want a taste of it every now and then, the KPA satisfies. Some crazy lo-fi can also be had with the wave shapers too. But the Fuzz Factory is to a Big Muff or Fuzz Face like a rodeo bull is to a petting zoo pony. It's very touchy and while it's "rideable" the fun of it is clearly the thrill of it "trying to throw you off." I probably should have gotten the "Probe" version, as it's really fun to mess with the controls while using my Sustainic to let a note ring out.

So, to wrap it up... I like it. :thumbup: It complements the KPA really well because while the KPA has a good complement of "bread and butter" distortion/fuzz effects, the Fuzz Factory is more like a peyote and saffron spread. 8)

My one question is... I'm putting it before the KPA... and so far that seems best. I've got a HD500 in it's effect loop and in it's effects loop I've got a Blackstar HT-5 Dual Distortion. While the HT-5 works well there, the Fuzz Factory didn't... I didn't try it in series with the HD500. I guess I'll just experiment a bit more, but I'd be curious to hear what others are doing with their stomps for best bang for buck. Maybe that's a topic for a different thread...

• A Fuzz Factory is extremely picky when it comes to what you connect to the input.
    Even a guitar with active pickups won't work properly.

Interesting... I was using it with my Steinberger with good ol' EMGs and I could definitively get good stuff out of it though there was no "cleaning it up" by backing off the guitar volume... I'll play with it more tonight... I've got a G&L with passive pickups as well.

• So, I spent a bit more time with the Fuzz Factory, and I think to some degree the idea that it can't be used with EMGs is overblown. Not only can it, but when I a/b'd it with my G&L I thought the tone was significantly better with the Steinberger. It's just a wild hard to tame beast. I don't think it's something that will get used on every track, but it does impart a very distinct and amazing character on the tone that can't be done with the included stomp box models. I highly recommend it for those who are interested in non traditional types of fuzz tones.

• Excellent! Further proof that while the on board fuzz effects are great on the KPA, there's nothing that beats the ability to really FSU with a device like that.

well, true the Fuzz Factory is pretty special. 99.9% of all other fuzzes - not so much.
    I have them because I like to collect pedals, not because I need them, for exsample. ;)

combinations of fuzz / other drive / eq / shaper & mod stomps yield sounds I haven't been able to get before. hard- or software.

but like Billy Gibbons said :' It's good to have a secret weapon sometimes.'

• i only just loaded this rig pack today and i thought this was one of the very best profiles. :thumbup:

I was positively impressed too for ths profile :thumbup:
    Can I ask you Bill, as curiosity, if you use also an amp to made this profile and which one if this is the case?

Thanks!